roland-tr909-drum-machine-papercraft.jpg

All of Frank Zappa's drummers.

Aynsley Dunbar
Ralph Humphrey
Chester Thompson
Terry Bozzio
Vinnie Colaiuta
Chad Wackerman

Zappas 2 percussionist/drummers Ruth Underwood and Ed Mann.

The Black Page and Keep It Greasy some amazing drumming.

Zappa was a ****ing amazing musician and wrote charts for every member of his band.

Ed_Gein

Very good. But brick not hit back!
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers, Liverpool, Storm.
I've always liked Tomas Haake, he just looks so natural in his style when he plays. Probably not as technical like a lot of the drummers already mentioned, but he is probably one of the more gifted drummers in metal

courtjester

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2008
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Thread needs some categories- metal speed is far different to a jazz groove or a massive rock beat.

I love Dave Grohl's drumming in Nirvana. Massive hitting with a great rock groove.

Jimmy Chamberlain from the Smashing Pumpkins is very good too. Technically brilliant, he made the SPs what they were in the day.

Gus

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star
Sep 12, 2008
Naracoorte
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Norwood, Memphis Grizzlies, Bengals
R.I.P Jimmy Sullivan.

[YOUTUBE]jjQ5PdFr3bM[/YOUTUBE]

Really went off A7X when he died- their next album (sans any contribution from the Rev whatsoever, at least he wrote and did some of the tracks on Nightmare) just won't do.

Schism

Hostis Humani Generis
Aug 21, 2007
Yasmin Lee's house
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea
I've always liked Tomas Haake, he just looks so natural in his style when he plays. Probably not as technical like a lot of the drummers already mentioned, but he is probably one of the more gifted drummers in metal

yep Haake, and Proscriptor....

[YOUTUBE]6jBuZJM7stc[/YOUTUBE]

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Proscriptor, Lombardo, Sandoval, Kressman, McBrain, Doc (RIP), Hellhammer, Snake, ...

Hard to make a choice. But being into extreme metal it is hard to name someone from more regular bands. Drum solos in regular bands sound so boring when you are used to extreme stuff.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I sort of take most genuine metal drummers as a given, the technicality and speed of what they do is amazing and I find it hard to get my head around the logistics of the things they play.

My favourite drummers are ones who give songs their sort of swagger and attitude, Grohl has been mentioned and I agree, the sound he gave Nirvana was incredible, songs like In Bloom are absolutely thunderous thanks to him. His performance on unplugged is one of the most understated drumming displays of all time, as breathtakingly simple as most of the songs were for him.

Someone mentioned Jimmy chamberlain as well - the drums in 1979 are so so simple but the groove he plays is tighter than a duck’s butt.

I love watching Cindy Blackman play, she has a bass player’s coolness fitting behind the kit. There’s a video online somewhere of her playing Are You Gonna Go My Way for Lenny Kravitz in London with Gail Anne Dorsey playing bass. It’s cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Back