Greatest drummer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tony Allen, the drummer for Fela Kuti’s Africa 70. The greatest of all-time, no contest.

Honorable mentions to Jack DeJohnette, Tony Williams and Ginger Baker.

Rock drummers just don’t cut it when it comes to the very best of the best but I kinda like John Bonham of Led Zep.

Fela Kuti & Africa 70: Confusion

Last edited:
Tony Allen, the drummer for Fela Kuti’s Africa 70. The greatest of all-time, no contest.

Honorable mentions to Jack DeJohnette, Tony Williams and Ginger Baker.

Rock drummer’s just don’t cut it when it comes to the very best of the best but I kinda like John Bonham of Led Zep.

Fela Kuti & Africa 70: Confusion

Wow. Thanks for the gateway.

The late, great Cozy Powell has to be mentioned:

He does John Bonham proud on this song, though Blackmore/Dio are at their respective peaks, as well.

Put simply, one of the best hard rock/heavy metal songs I've ever heard.

The late, great Cozy Powell has to be mentioned:

He does John Bonham proud on this song, though Blackmore/Dio are at their respective peaks, as well.

Put simply, one of the best hard rock/heavy metal songs I've ever heard.

It's perfection.
I once drove from Belgrave to Somers (about an hour) after having spent some time with Mary Jane and listened only to the drum intro. Over. And. Over. And. Over. Again. The whole drive 🤣. So good

Donati,Colaiuta,Gadd,Giles(early Crimson),Barlow(Tull),Collins(early Genesis),Porcaro,Gordon.
The 30th anniversary of his untimely death was only a few days ago.

Last edited:
Great call. He's a beast. Shame he's a Collingwood supporter :D

I went to a Virgil drum clinic a few years ago. He really entertained with his speaking, but I'm not the world's biggest fan of his playing. Just didn't click with me as much as I would have liked for whatever reason

This guy Ryan Bennett from Tremonti is blowing me away with his playing lately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not often a drummer makes a band. Especially one as good as Tool

Yeah I mean when I saw them in 2020 it was clearly the Danny Carey show, the drum kit was like the centrepiece of the stage. The thing is though his awesome drumming is part of the song and its rhythm, it's not like he's being a smartarse and trying to do crazy fills.

Though I remember speaking to a mate who really likes Tool and I mentioned how the guitar is not that hard but the drumming impossible, he was shocked, hadn't noticed. Again that shows the genius of the band, complicated time signatures and polyrhythms but they're still listenable to the average music fan.

Hands down my favourite guy to watch.

Unbelievable drummer, never saw him with Slayer, did see him with Suicidal Tendencies though, he's the man.

This bloke is incredible, I believe he wrote this song and it took him 5 months solid to learn to play, had to relearn how he did the double kicks or something (I'm no drummer ha ha)

Unbelievable drummer, never saw him with Slayer, did see him with Suicidal Tendencies though, he's the man.

This bloke is incredible, I believe he wrote this song and it took him 5 months solid to learn to play, had to relearn how he did the double kicks or something (I'm no drummer ha ha)

Yeah, he's a machine.

Yeah, he's a machine.

He describes Meshuggah very well, you can nod your head to it and it has those wild bass drums as well, it's a very unique approach.

I've seen them a few times and it's incredible to see a band pulling off music like that live, they're basically flawless, ****ed if I know how they remember what the hell they're up to.

Yeah I mean when I saw them in 2020 it was clearly the Danny Carey show, the drum kit was like the centrepiece of the stage. The thing is though his awesome drumming is part of the song and its rhythm, it's not like he's being a smartarse and trying to do crazy fills.

Though I remember speaking to a mate who really likes Tool and I mentioned how the guitar is not that hard but the drumming impossible, he was shocked, hadn't noticed. Again that shows the genius of the band, complicated time signatures and polyrhythms but they're still listenable to the average music fan.
Yep I saw them in 2020 too. That live show made me really get into the new album

The previous time I saw them around 2014 the drums were the centre piece again. That show was at the Music bowl

Yep I saw them in 2020 too. That live show made me really get into the new album

The previous time I saw them around 2014 the drums were the centre piece again. That show was at the Music bowl

Yeah they did the Bowl in 07 as well as the BDO (I went to both) and went in 2014 or whenever it was as well. The good thing about the bowl was being able to smoke doobies no issues, geez that was a stoned crowd ha ha

Yeah they did the Bowl in 07 as well as the BDO (I went to both) and went in 2014 or whenever it was as well. The good thing about the bowl was being able to smoke doobies no issues, geez that was a stoned crowd ha ha
Yeah I went to the bowl in 14 and the BDO a few days before hand

I liked the bowl but it didn't seem as good with out the big screen with the visuals in the background. From memory Maynard was up the back of the stage almost behind a curtain all show

Yeah I went to the bowl in 14 and the BDO a few days before hand

I liked the bowl but it didn't seem as good with out the big screen with the visuals in the background. From memory Maynard was up the back of the stage almost behind a curtain all show

Yeah Maynard is more of a side man rather than a front man really, he's just part of it. The stage setup in 2020 was pretty epic, the light show and all the rest of it, one of the best shows I've been to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back