Greatest endings to a film

Remove this Banner Ad

No Way Out - Kevin Costner. It's like the Sixth Sense in that once you've seen it, it's probably not worth watching again.

The Last Seduction. Linda Florentino's character just destroys Peter Berg's.

Soylent Green as they're carting Charlton Heston away.

Others that have aleady been mentioned.

Open Water, she just drops her belt and sinks to drown rather than getting eaten by sharks.

True Romance
The Third Man
High Noon
The Searchers
Shane / Pale Rider
Alien

I liked the end to Quarantine too and The China Syndrome and Silkwood.

What about Clarice Starling in the night vision goggles in The Silence Of The Lambs? (Was that right at the end? I haven't seen it for years.)

The Blair Witch Project had one of the most memorable endings to a film I've seen.

No Country For Old Men was poignant, in an unusual sort of way.

Toy Story 3 was the perfect ending to an all time classic trilogy (why must they make another?)

The Prestige went from a good film to a great one with its ending.

All is Lost had the perfect ending to what is one of the most unique films in recent years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the ones that have yet to be mentioned:

- Presumed Innocent (Loved the way they set up the false ending from both a score & cinematography viewpoint)
- Primal Fear (Edward Norton's film debut is a ripper)

* this fred if no one's said " ARLINGTON ROAD " yet.

Made me feel deadset crook in the guts.
Don't google , don't ask , just watch it.

I'll throw in MAD MAX - FURY ROAD
3 previous movies had bleak AF endings , in this we get a triumphant joyous ending.
The music sells it perfectly and that tiny nod from Hardy kills me everytime.
Then as we fade to black we see a quote ( see my sig ) , it leaves you with a question to ponder as you drive home.

That's when you understand what the movie's really saying to us.

Whiplash has a brilliant ending. So does Phoenix. Both revolve around music, both deliver immensely.

Dogville has probably the most satisfying ending to any film I've seen.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is satisfying for different reasons, you want to watch it on repeat.

Chinatown's ending is the definition of perfect.

A Serious Man and Take Shelter have the best endings involving weather.

Frailty is one of my favourite twist endings.

The Piano Teacher ends with a real gut punch too.

He dies of course.

I'm not sure he does..

He says "Joey, there's no living with... with a killing. There's no going back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand. A brand sticks. There's no going back. Now you run on home to your mother, and tell her... tell her everything's all right. And there aren't any more guns in the valley."

So it's open ended as to if he means he's leaving so there's nobody with guns left in the valley(him staying means people wanting to kill him might bring gunmen to the valley) or he's going away to die due to his injuries.

The debate continues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back