Remove this Banner Ad

Mullholland Drive: Silencio.

Threads.

The Vanishing (Danish original version)

Taxi Driver

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Pretty hard to top Casablanca though.

Last edited:

It's Dutch but, yes, a great ending. If there were a worst endings to a film thread, the Hollywood re-make of The Vanishing would be top of the pops.

Damn it. I thought that was wrong when I typed it!

Totally agree on the remake. Awful.

The Mist - With Thomas Jane

Such a s**t ending - In a good way.

I watched that with a couple of friends (I had seen it before) and
when the tank rolls up
a bottle of alcohol slipped out of her hand onto the hard floor and then she yelled out 'WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO PEOPLE (audience)?' And she's usually a pretty quiet person lol

Wish I had seen the movie at the cinema.

I watched that with a couple of friends (I had seen it before) and
when the tank rolls up
a bottle of alcohol slipped out of her hand onto the hard floor and then she yelled out 'WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO PEOPLE (audience)?' And she's usually a pretty quiet person lol

Wish I had seen the movie at the cinema.
Me and my wife saw it at the movies... when the religious chick got shot the whole cinema erupted in applause.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Been mentioned but not shown, Planet of the Apes (1968)

The Wizard of Oz

Five Came Back (1939) remade as Back from Eternity (1956) both directed by John Farrow

Robert Aldrich's Attack (1956)

Earth vs the Flying Saucers (1956) with Ray Harryhausen special effects

The Ox-Bow Incident

How good is the ending to Ox-Bow Incident? Remember seeing this as a young teen, completely absorbed by 30's and 40's movies and this still sticks with me 30 years after first seeing it.

Don't look Now and the 70's Invasion of The Body Snatchers had endings you woke up thinking about the next day.

How good is the ending to Ox-Bow Incident? Remember seeing this as a young teen, completely absorbed by 30's and 40's movies and this still sticks with me 30 years after first seeing it.

Very few movies are seminal, this is one of them.

Not that it was a twist at all but I absolutely loved the end of The Two Towers. The two hobbits walking into the unknown towards the smoke and fire of Mordor unaware of what Smeagol is leading them to, followed by that f***ing spooky mystical Kate Bush-Esque song

The end of the Helms Deep battle, the Ents marching on Isengard, and the hobbits fleeing Osgiliath followed by Sam's monologue. Brilliant.

Sent from mTalk

All this.

Mind you, I could pick any moment from the 12 or so hours of footage across the trilogy and it would be just as fantastic

Yeah, but the way everything came together in that ending was a work of art. Whilst the ending of Return of the King isn't as bad as made out, it could have learned some things. Truly epic yet at the same time closed the movie out without feeling like a cheap cliffhanger, ala Force Awakens for instance.

Sent from mTalk

All this.

Mind you, I could pick any moment from the 12 or so hours of footage across the trilogy and it would be just as fantastic

Absolutely...that scene where the Hobbits frolic on the bed with Gandalf notwithstanding. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back