Greatest Finals Wins of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood won the umpiring 24-16 with Brisbane kicking 4-12 at halftime, the umpires and Brisbane's inaccuracy kept Collingwood in the game

What about that Anthony Rocca shot at goal late in the game that went over the goalpost, 50/50. I thought that was a goal.

Upsets are great to watch as a neutral and go down in history. Of course any final carries so much more weight than a H&A match so finals upsets are even more special and rare.

Going into recent history, in my opinion and if I recall correctly:

4 of the 9 finals last year ended in upsets

6 upsets out of 9 in 2016 (4 of these were due to the Dogs' premiership)

Only 3 out of 9 in 2015

3 out of 9 in 2014

Again 3 out of 9 in 2013

2000 - Dees vs Blues qualifier. Dees were about 6 goals down and come home like a house on fire. Won by about 23 in the end in rather easy fashion. Loved the days of Robertson, Yze, Green etc. Robertson and Green had good years I think
They won by 9, the game was still up for grabs with a few minutes to go.

Havent seen it mentioned but buddy's winning goal, from 50 out on the boundary, after the siren against adelaide in 2007 ef after we were to memory about 4 goals down, was a great moment. And the 01 prelim vs essendon was a good game even if we lost... I was pretty young but I mainly remember croad hitting the post in the last quarter when we were 4 points down

My favourite ever is 2008, first hawks flag I watched. We completely annihilated dogs and saints in that finals series too

2011 prelim vs pies was great, friend and I got kicked out of the joint bar because of schoenmakers

Hawks adelaide prelim in 2012, geelong in 2013, port in 2014, were all heart stopping

As for games without the hawks i liked seeing essendon get beaten by the lions in 2001, the pies cats prelim in 07, and the great we get to play the purple NTTAWWTs game back in 2012

Crows against Dees in 03 was a stirrer and one of the best finals games I've seen. Crows up about 5-6 goals, Dees come back and lead by about 4, then Crows come back and roll them by around 4 goals in the finish. See sawing football and an all round cracking game.

Havent seen it mentioned but buddy's winning goal, from 50 out on the boundary, after the siren against adelaide in 2007 ef after we were to memory about 4 goals down, was a great moment. And the 01 prelim vs essendon was a good game even if we lost... I was pretty young but I mainly remember croad hitting the post in the last quarter when we were 4 points down

My favourite ever is 2008, first hawks flag I watched. We completely annihilated dogs and saints in that finals series too

2011 prelim vs pies was great, friend and I got kicked out of the joint bar because of schoenmakers

Hawks adelaide prelim in 2012, geelong in 2013, port in 2014, were all heart stopping

As for games without the hawks i liked seeing essendon get beaten by the lions in 2001, the pies cats prelim in 07, and the great we get to play the purple NTTAWWTs game back in 2012
Buddy's goal wasn't after the siren

Also this win by the Swans over the Power who finished three games clear on top and on their home deck, is a very underrated finals upset win

Honestly you can trace 15 years of the Swans as a fixture in the finals back to that game. Not a single player left from that game but have never truly faded since.

Can't believe nobody mentioned the following:

Collingwood v Geelong PF 2010: The first half was absolute perfection.

Adelaide v North GF 1998: North led by 2.12 at halftime - should've led by 12.2. Adelaide had no chance going into the match against Footscray the week before and won by 70, then had no chance beating North who had won 11 straight, then had no chance at half-time, but won by 35. It's ironic that the 97-98 version of Adelaide was known for taking every opportunity despite being an average team, yet the 05-06 version was the exact opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I googled to see what happened and a bunch of stuff came up about North Adelaide having 19 players on the field?

Wow. They won by five points but scored eight points with 19 players on the ground. This is a bit more than what happened in the NEAFL grand final where the breach was picked up and didn't affect the game.

The sensible thing would be to remove the eight points which would give the game to Woodville-West Torrens.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/s...y/news-story/d9b36c10848de2c706642248d56e4276

Well I tell you what, North Adelaide's win today over Eagles should go down as one of the greatest finals comebacks of all time. Incredible game!
Let’s wait
Eagles could make an even great comeback still!

Wow. They won by five points but scored eight points with 19 players on the ground. This is a bit more than what happened in the NEAFL grand final where the breach was picked up and didn't affect the game.

The sensible thing would be to remove the eight points which would give the game to Woodville-West Torrens.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/s...y/news-story/d9b36c10848de2c706642248d56e4276
Should also remove the time on incurred in that 5 minutes

And there we go. Eagles lose again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back