Up the Coasters Greatest Finishes in WCE History

Remove this Banner Ad

It did occur to me that the 80s and 90s were often the reverse of our recent fortunes…

Wrensted vs Melbourne in our first final
Suma in the 1990 QF
Salmon breaking our hearts in the jacket waving match
Mainy hitting the post against Carlton
Gavin Mitchell (!) kicking the winner for St Kilda against us when McIntosh got pinged for HTB.
Hird. (A bit later on)

Those were sh*t and should be permanently deleted from memory.
Pretty hard to delete them when someone brings them up

When you look at the key moments from 2015- to 2021 it is frustrating on how talented of a squad we have had but have only made 2 GF's and won one. We are as talented as say the Tigers but we need all the luck to finish top 2 for it to happen , where as the Tigers get a way easier way to the GF.

Round 11, 1998 vs Port Adelaide

The one where Cuz kicks it into the man on the mark and then gathers and goals to put the Eagles in Front.

In this game, in 1998, the venue was Football Park in the inhospitable west lakes area, and after being down by 15 points at half-time the Eagles work their way to an impressive – and important – two point victory.

At the centre of the brilliant second half performance was emerging star Ben Cousins.

In the third-quarter he side-stepped an opponent to set Mitchell White up for a crucial goal and kicked the match winning goal in the final term.

After kicking into the man on the mark, the 20-year-old showed the poise of a veteran, regained possession of the loose ball and sent the ball through the middle of the major opening.

While Cousins was impressive, so was defender Nick Stone, punching above his weight at centre-half-back, the experienced Chris Waterman, who topped the possession count, while Dean Kemp, Drew Banfield and Michael Braun were also keys through the engine room.

The dominos will never fall so perfectly again for this board as they did that week.

The build up of the inaugural Brad Scott Week which ended with Nic after the siren coupled with all the Brad gifs is something that will go down in WC BF folklore.
Coupled with all the North flogs on here thinking Goldstein was the best thing since sliced bread, and Nic Nat was a hack. Nic Nat and Cox just destroyed him. The mark and goal by Nic Nat was the icing on a very tasty cake.

Coupled with all the North flogs on here thinking Goldstein was the best thing since sliced bread, and Nic Nat was a hack. Nic Nat and Cox just destroyed him. The mark and goal by Nic Nat was the icing on a very tasty cake.
I’m relatively new to this board (2018 GF to be exact) but is there a way to find this topic and relive that night in all its glory

All ruckmen are amazing and better than any other ... Until they play Nic Nat and he exposes them as average at best.

But then your Grundys and your Gawns go off and dominate everyone else and it's back to "hur hur Nic Nat is unfit", conveniently forgetting the smackdown he gives the rest of the best when he plays them.

When you look at the key moments from 2015- to 2021 it is frustrating on how talented of a squad we have had but have only made 2 GF's and won one. We are as talented as say the Tigers but we need all the luck to finish top 2 for it to happen , where as the Tigers get a way easier way to the GF.
Pffft bullshit

we win every single home game easy as piss and then all we have to do is fly east 10 times a year and win there - its thats simple compared to flying west to win which is impossible.

#justviclogicthings

Round 1, 2004. We beat the Bulldogs by not much with Sampi kicking the winner.

I do sometimes forget just what a ridiculous talent he was.

average quality but here’s the video of the end of the match.

If you’ve got some time, there’s some extended highlights on YouTube from some cracking games from the early to mid 00’s. It was such a pleasure watching our midfield at that time in full flight. Judd/Kerr/Cousins we’re just the perfect trio on field IMO.

aussie-rules-footy.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't he get 3 down to 2, we appealed and won, and got it reduced to 2?

Yes, 3 down to 2 after the appeal. Think the original charge was that Shuey hit Thomas in a place where no man should hit another man. We successfully argued that Shuey did not actually hit him there so the charge should have been thrown out altogether with Shuey free to play the next week. We end up loosing to Sydney and Adelaide by big margins and just missed finishing top 4. Still think that 2012 could have been our year especially if we had some luck with injuries and suspensions.

I’m relatively new to this board (2018 GF to be exact) but is there a way to find this topic and relive that night in all its glory
Looking through these forgot it was at the height of Selwood and SHuey are duckers and cheats, and we got a couple right at the end before the goal. Just delicious.

For context watch the video, shuey got a free for a high after dropping the knees. Cheat! But then just shanks the kick, North think they've survived only to kick it out and Selwood to be taken high! Good times

West Coast Gameday Thread. Naita takes a mark in page 54.

Main board, page 41.

The Gameday thread from North Melbourne perspective.

Page 13 s**t talk leading into the game then Nic Nat at page 17

Last edited:
Round 2, 2006 I think. Against Adelaide at AO. WE led by five goals but Adelaide stormed home and trailed by two with a minute left. Embley took a saving mark in defence with about 20 seconds left.

Here it is. 28:45 onwards

Also who can forget the prelim that year. Dubious free kick at the last centre bounce wins us the game.

2009 upset win vs the Bulldogs was also a favourite of mine. Young underdog team beating a top four fancy. Embley kicked two goals from the boundary late including a ridiculous set shot from memory

Looking through these forgot it was at the height of Selwood and SHuey are duckers and cheats, and we got a couple right at the end before the goal. Just delicious.

For context watch the video, shuey got a free for a high after dropping the knees. Cheat! But then just shanks the kick, North think they've survived only to kick it out and Selwood to be taken high! Good times

Main board, page 41.

Page 13 sh*t talk leading into the game then Nic Nat at page 17

tenor.gif

Vs Port in 2015. Port made a prelim the year before and were considered contenders, were considered just a middle of the road team. It was as intense a finish a home and away game could be. I don't think anyone scored for the last seven or eight minutes of game time until Shuey kicked a goal with 10 seconds left.

Young Nelson, young Duggan, Sheed with a head of hair, Josh Hill getting his hands dirty! All in the last 10 minutes.

So many memories. The week before North had destroyed the Dogs, and Majak Daw in is his fourth career game got 3 brownlow votes. Leading into the Eagles game all the talk from North was that Majak could match/beat Nic Nat. 4 touches, later....

View attachment 1157891

Nic Nat's game stats.
View attachment 1157894
After that game you could say Nic Nat was Majak-cal....

I've been waiting 8 years for this pun

Bit of a feel-good thread for the bye round…

In light of Josh Kennedy’s heroics against Richmond, it again occurred to me how fortunate we’ve been in recent years with amazing finishes/match winning goals that can be enjoyed again and again (and again and again). It certainly beats the sh*t out of being on the receiving end of them (and then having them make a Toyota ad about it….James Hird…).

Off the top of my head in the last few years we’ve had…

Nic vs North circa 2014
Nic vs GWS circa 2016
Shuey vs Port circa 2017
Gov vs Port circa 2018
Dom vs Pies circa 2018
JK vs Tigers circa 2021

I’m no doubt forgetting some even recent ones - but how about from years gone by too?

Favourites from over the years? ☺

I was lucky enough to be at the bolded games. Great times. Still think the roar from the crowd might have been loudest for that Norf game. Watching the Carlton 2011 semi-final at the pub with heaps of Eagles fans was also great

Vs Port in 2015. Port made a prelim the year before and were considered contenders, were considered just a middle of the road team. It was as intense a finish a home and away game could be. I don't think anyone scored for the last seven or eight minutes of game time until Shuey kicked a goal with 10 seconds left.

Young Nelson, young Duggan, Sheed with a head of hair, Josh Hill getting his hands dirty! All in the last 10 minutes.

Almost forgot this one. Watching this while standing on the hill was pretty glorious

Main board, page 41.

Page 13 sh*t talk leading into the game then Nic Nat at page 17

I love how the ump clearly says that the second Selwood contact was high. Not the first tackle where he throws his head back, but when the next Norf player comes in he gets him in the head with a knee or elbow. Everyone whinged about him ducking but that wasn't what the free was for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back