Up the Coasters Greatest Finishes in WCE History

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Bit of a feel-good thread for the bye round…

In light of Josh Kennedy’s heroics against Richmond, it again occurred to me how fortunate we’ve been in recent years with amazing finishes/match winning goals that can be enjoyed again and again (and again and again). It certainly beats the s**t out of being on the receiving end of them (and then having them make a Toyota ad about it….James Hird…).

Off the top of my head in the last few years we’ve had…

Nic vs North circa 2014
Nic vs GWS circa 2016
Shuey vs Port circa 2017
Gov vs Port circa 2018
Dom vs Pies circa 2018
JK vs Tigers circa 2021

I’m no doubt forgetting some even recent ones - but how about from years gone by too?

Favourites from over the years? ☺️

Bit of a feel-good thread for the bye round…

In light of Josh Kennedy’s heroics against Richmond, it again occurred to me how fortunate we’ve been in recent years with amazing finishes/match winning goals that can be enjoyed again and again (and again and again). It certainly beats the sh*t out of being on the receiving end of them (and then having them make a Toyota ad about it….James Hird…).

Off the top of my head in the last few years we’ve had…

Nic vs North circa 2014
Nic vs GWS circa 2016
Shuey vs Port circa 2017
Gov vs Port circa 2018
Dom vs Pies circa 2018
JK vs Tigers circa 2021

I’m no doubt forgetting some even recent ones - but how about from years gone by too?

Favourites from over the years? ☺
None of those were circa. You got all the years spot on.

Underrated due to it being a meaningless game in a s**t year, but I have fond memories of my last Footy Park visit against the Crows in 2013. 2 goals down with 2 minutes left, kicked 3 very unlikely goals to win.

Embley set shot, spud Dalziell then JK on the run from 50m on the boundary line with his left foot.

It did occur to me that the 80s and 90s were often the reverse of our recent fortunes…

Wrensted vs Melbourne in our first final
Suma in the 1990 QF
Salmon breaking our hearts in the jacket waving match
Mainy hitting the post against Carlton
Gavin Mitchell (!) kicking the winner for St Kilda against us when McIntosh got pinged for HTB.
Hird. (A bit later on)

Those were s**t and should be permanently deleted from memory.

There's a game from 2003 vs Collingwood in Melbourne. Burst out of the blocks to lead by 6 goals. Pies peg it back and then end up leading by 2 and half goals half way through the last. Eagles slam on the last 5 goals. Is one of my favourites.

Also the 2009 away game against the Bulldogs is one to remember. Another one where we had a fast start, they came back and we fought back to pip them in the end.

Andrew Embley gets some insane goals in those games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a game from 2003 vs Collingwood in Melbourne. Burst out of the blocks to lead by 6 goals. Pies peg it back and then end up leading by 2 and half goals half way through the last. Eagles slam on the last 5 goals. Is one of my favourites.

Also the 2009 away game against the Bulldogs is one to remember. Another one where we had a fast start, they came back and we fought back to pip them in the end.

Andrew Embley gets some insane goals in those games.
Was there that day.. terrific!!

2003 Rd 8. Was there. Phil Matera kicked a few too. Purchased “name a game DVD” of match so can now watch it in poverty definition any time I need my eyes to hurt.

North vs West Coast Rnd 15 2012 in tassie. Trail for most of the day but a late Dean Cox goal puts us in front and we win by 2 points. He also took a match saving mark down the other end.

Great game. Shuey received 3 weeks for hitting Lindsay Thomas in a very delicate place in that game (not so great).

Last edited:
Nic vs NM was played in 2013, wasn't it? remember Worsfold coaching that game.

I was in prime position for a 'right in front of me' for that one.

2013 was not kind to Norf. A week later Adelaide kicked the last 5 goals and pinched it with a Jared Petrenko goal at the death. Sam Kerridge (who had 35 career goals including 6 and 4 against Norf) kicked 6.

Round 1, 2004. We beat the Bulldogs by not much with Sampi kicking the winner.

I do sometimes forget just what a ridiculous talent he was.

average quality but here’s the video of the end of the match.

If you’ve got some time, there’s some extended highlights on YouTube from some cracking games from the early to mid 00’s. It was such a pleasure watching our midfield at that time in full flight. Judd/Kerr/Cousins we’re just the perfect trio on field IMO.

I was in prime position for a 'right in front of me' for that one.

2013 was not kind to Norf. A week later Adelaide kicked the last 5 goals and pinched it with a Jared Petrenko goal at the death. Sam Kerridge (who had 35 career goals including 6 and 4 against Norf) kicked 6.
The dominos will never fall so perfectly again for this board as they did that week.

The build up of the inaugural Brad Scott Week which ended with Nic after the siren coupled with all the Brad gifs is something that will go down in WC BF folklore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back