Greatest Footballing Families?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Well what Family has produced the most/best Football players since the game started?

The Tucks/Ablett Which married into eachother would be probably it, i would almost pay to watch the "King of the pack" kick to kick at the Family get together

Any others? The Cornes, Danihers? Krackouers?

In terms of quality i'll throw in the Hirds.

Alan Hird grandfather of James played quite a few games for Essendon and has a stand named after him.

His father played footy but not for Essendon, but the family produced one of the greatest footballers of all time; James.

The Buntons

Hayden Bunton snr
3 Brownlows
1 Runner up Brownlow
3 Sandover medals

Hayden Bunton Jr
1 runner-up Magery Medal
1 Sandover medal
3 WAFL premierships as a player with Swan Districts
2 SANFL premierships as coach of Sturn
2 WAFL premierships as coach of Subiaco

Between the father-son duo
3 Brownlows
1 Runner-up Brownlow
4 Sandovers
1 Runner-up Magery
3 Playing Premierships
4 Coaching Premierships

Lets see. Geoff Ablett-200+ games Hawthorn/Richmond, Kevin Ablett-70 odd games Haw/Geel/StK, Michael Tuck 426 games Hawthorn, Gary Ablett Snr 250 odd games (1030 goals) Haw/Geelong, Gary Ablett Jnr 150+ (currently) games Geelong, Shane Tuck bout that many games Richmond, Luke Ablett bout that many again Sydney, Travis Tuck 3 games (currently) Hawthorn.

Collectively pretty handy-at least 8 flags, possibly more (Geoff played in some?)

I think you will find the Cordner family would be the greatest. All played at Melbourne.

- Don Cordner: 166 games, 23 goals, 1943 B&F, 1948 Brownlow, Melbourne Team of the Century

- Denis Cordner: 152 games, 82 goals, 1949 & 55 B&F, Premiership player '48 '55 '56, Melbourne Team of the Century

- John Cordner: 6 games

- Ted Cordner: 52 games

cockatoo-collins family

may not be the greatest - but they do have the longest name

The ablett and tuck families are an interesting one - but they just played football - no coaching afterwards. the ablett's have the other's covered in terms of talent

the romantic "footy families" seem to have a couple who have coached as well.

the williams family probably fits into this category, as do the buntons.

For mine the Williams family is one of the greats in our game.
Fos Williams is a legend of our game and one of the all time great players and coaches.
His sons arent too shabby either. Particulary Stephen and Mark.

Fos' s brothers, I believe, all played footy at the highest level in S.A. Anthony also, along with Stephen and Mark played SANFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alan Hird grandfather of James played quite a few games for Essendon and has a stand named after him.

His father played footy but not for Essendon, but the family produced one of the greatest footballers of all time; James.

Alan Hird Jnr managed 4 games from 1966-67.

Ken & Dustin Fletcher - most games for Father & Son.

James Hird's old man Alan Jr played 4 games for the bombers, 1966-67.

Going back a few years, the Coventry Family must have been half decent.

The Ebert family ain't to bad. Russel and Craig back in the day and currently Brett and Brad.

Also the Williams family with Fos, Mark, Stephen and Anthony.

Pannamopoulos

Charlie H. - 193 games with Collingwood & Richmond, Collingwood captain, Richmond captain, Richmond coach, dual premiership player, VFL leading goalkicker, first VFL player to reach 100 games, AFL Hall of Fame

Alby F. - 28 games with Collingwood, VFL umpire (brother of Charlie H.)

Charlie E. - 142 games with Collingwood & South Melbourne, Collingwood captain, South Melbourne captain, South Melbourne coach, dual premiership player (son of Charlie H.)

Alby C. - 183 games, 459 goals with Collingwood & Richmond, Collingwood captain, Richmond coach, dual premiership player, Collingwood b&f (son of Charlie H.)

Lou Richards - 250 games, 423 goals with Collingwood, Collingwood captain, premiership player, AFL Hall of Fame (son of Charlie H.'s daughter)

Ron Richards - 143 games with Collingwood, premiership player (brother of Lou)

Lets see. Geoff Ablett-200+ games Hawthorn/Richmond, Kevin Ablett-70 odd games Haw/Geel/StK, Michael Tuck 426 games Hawthorn, Gary Ablett Snr 250 odd games (1030 goals) Haw/Geelong, Gary Ablett Jnr 150+ (currently) games Geelong, Shane Tuck bout that many games Richmond, Luke Ablett bout that many again Sydney, Travis Tuck 3 games (currently) Hawthorn.

Collectively pretty handy-at least 8 flags, possibly more (Geoff played in some?)
you forgot nath!

Pannamopoulos

Charlie H. - 193 games with Collingwood & Richmond, Collingwood captain, Richmond captain, Richmond coach, dual premiership player, VFL leading goalkicker, first VFL player to reach 100 games, AFL Hall of Fame

Alby F. - 28 games with Collingwood, VFL umpire (brother? of Charlie H.)

Charlie E. - 142 games with Collingwood & South Melbourne, Collingwood captain, South Melbourne captain, South Melbourne coach, dual premiership player (son of Charlie H.)

Alby C. - 183 games, 459 goals with Collingwood & Richmond, Collingwood captain, Richmond coach, dual premiership player, Collingwood b&f (son of Charlie H.)

Lou Richards - 250 games, 423 goals with Collingwood, Collingwood captain, premiership player, AFL Hall of Fame (son of one of the Pannam sisters)

Ron Richards - 143 games with Collingwood, premiership player (brother of Lou)
i think it wins the family with the best last name :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back