Greatest Night of Athletics Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

WCE2000

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2000
the pub
Tonight, was undoubtebly the best night of Track and Field i have ever seen.
Lets go through the events (the ones that i saw, thanks to Channel 7's great coverage of the Hockey, i'll talk about that later)

Womens Pole-Vault Final:
So close for Gregoriva but no cigar. However, she did us proud!!!!!! equaled the WR from about a month ago.
Womens 5 000m Final:
What a brilliant final lap from Gabrielle Szabo, in which she eventually won by 0.23 seconds to Michelle Smith.
Womens 400m Final:
The obvious reason - our grand Cathy. What a champion. enough said.
Mens 400m Final:
Michael Johnson - what a King. Ran close to the perfect race tonight, winning by nearly a whole second.
Womens 800m Final:
Mutola comes from no-where to take the gold. ran a brilliant race, no-one thought she had a chance with 200 to go, but she came through.
Mens 10 000m Final:
This was the best race i've ever seen. After 10 000 metres only 0.09 second seperated the great Gebrselassie and Tergat. A thrilling finish, which had great tactics, in which almost every competitor was conspiring to try and outrun Gebrselassie. But the great man continued his 7 run unbeaten streak going - only just!!!

Even if you dont like Athletics, tonight was simply unbeliavable. Highlight after Highlight.

Now, i said i would mention Channel 7's coverage. I couldn't believe it, the hockey was 3-0, with only 15 minutes to go. the game was all over - we were in the final. But still 7 wouldn't cross to the athletics, and as a results showed numerous events about 20 minutes behind.
I was one who previously praised 7 for their efforts during the games, which has been good. But tonight it was shocking, it we happened to miss an hour of one of the greatest atheletic night in history.

------------------
For all your footballing needs be sure to visit my AFL web-site at http://www.geocities.com/eastsydney5/index.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back