Greatest Premier League team

Which is the best team to grace the Premier League?

• Total voters
Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
When Arsenal went undefeated they only had to compete with Man United. Chelsea were better and Wenger can't defeat Mourinho.

Man United 07/08 and the 99 were the best because they won the league and the CL in the same season.

I guess that depends on if the thread is about the best Prem season by a club or the best allround season by a club.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
The Greatest Premier League team is the team that last wins the Premiership because of the very nature of how the league improves each year.

The year that the Arsenal "Invincibles" won the title, there weren't any current Man City sides or Southamptons, Liverpools, Evertons, Swanseas etc etc but that of course, is not taking anything away from that magnificent Arsenal side.

Nallad

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Agree with the unbeaten factor. Arsenal for me. No one will go unbeaten again.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Agree with the unbeaten factor. Arsenal for me. No one will go unbeaten again.

They had class and skill oozing everywhere but at the same time had campaigners like Keown & Vieria that weren't afraid to get stuck into a battle. Don't think i've seen a team as mentally strong as Arsenal 03/04 in the league since the "invincibles". These days Arsenal have plenty of skill & class but have a severe lack of campaigners in the team. Every great teams needs at least 1 or 2 campaigners to ensure success.

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
That whole Arsenal side was one nasty piece of work, even Bergkamp knew how to make snide nasty challenges without getting caught (we all forgive him for it)

Don't think I ever saw such a bunch of absolute nasty campaigners who can also play the best football going around at the time

Ever since those group of players, all the sides Wenger built played like they've been castrated

you go undefeated, you're the best by default. easy.

rubbish - you could go undefeated and still get relegated!

Chelsea's 04/05 side are the best EPL team I have seen. Not surprising they have the record for most points won.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Undefeated is great, but overall points tally is better.

Would you rather go 37-0-1 or 35-3-0? You'd take the 37 wins every time.

I vote Manchester United 1998/99. Won the PL with only 79 points holding off Arsenal and Chelsea (78, 75 respectively) while winning the CL and the FA Cup.

Also props to Norwich for finishing 3rd with a GD of -4 in the first PL season.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Only 8 games in but on form this is the best Chelsea side I've seen, could potentially be better than that record breaking one

Agree, they are looking ominous. Mourinho has the best squad of all time this season built with a blank cheque. Can see them going undefeated this season.

Agree, they are looking ominous. Mourinho has the best squad of all time this season built with a blank cheque. Can see them going undefeated this season.
Haha, 8 games in and the money excuse being brought up already. If only we spent 100m on s**t like Balotelli, Markovic and Can instead of a net spend of zero on Costa, Luis and Fabregas.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
He's costing us a helluva lot more at LFC and he was a free transfer :)
Liverpool-meme-7-500x479.png

10Dulkar

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2013
Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not sure that looking at teams over one season is the best way to go but rather to look at dynasties. In other words, I would group the contenders as being Manchester United in the Cantona era, the Manchester United side to win the Treble and three straight titles, the Arsenal Invincibles, Mourinho MK1 Chelsea and the Manchester United side that wrestled the top spot back. Manchester City may get there in time. It is hard for me to be objective about this so I would go for Manchester United around the turn of the millennium but there's no doubt that what Arsenal accomplished and the way Mourinho shook up the Premier League will be remembered in 100 years time as truly iconic periods in English football.

It is quite difficult to compare in one sense as back in the 90s before the Champions League opened up, even the top teams had 15 or 16 good players and then a drop off whereas now the top teams can field two elevens capable of qualifying for Europe.

I'm not sure that looking at teams over one season is the best way to go but rather to look at dynasties.
Of course a United fan would say that.
It's the only way one could legitimately say United without being looked at as an idiot.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo

Last two transfer windows he'd have a net spend of zip.

Best squad of all time, lets not get carried away.

And you can have all the blank cheques in the world, but you still have to spend the money wisely on the right players in the right ares(a couple of teams(or managers) recently have shown that it's not that easy).

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Of course a United fan would say that.
It's the only way one could legitimately say United without being looked at as an idiot.
Yeah, the treble winning team were truly shite. Just fluked their way to the title. The 2000 team were really lucky to win the league by 18 points. The 07/08 team were even worse. They only won a champions League and the EPL, lazy bastards couldn't even win the cup. Anyone that thinks otherwise must be an idiot.

Back