Remove this Banner Ad

junction oval

Debutant
Oct 31, 2006
Sydney
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Royboys

Was watching the footy last night, and had a feeling early on that Geelong were going to win by lots - and almost thought they were going to eclipse our record winning margin.

That got me thinking of an old scrapbook I have from the 1979 season.

Below is a report from the game:

JUST FOR THE RECORD

Fitzroy has scored a mention in the books

By Greg Baum

Rarely has a VFL record been smashed as comprehensively as Footscray's record VFL score was by Fitzroy at VFL Park on Saturday.

Fitzroy broke records at every turn.

Twenty seven minutes into the third quarter, it broke its record against Melbourne, of 23.19-157 set last year in a match it lost.

Two minutes into the final quarter it broke the club record score of 25.29-179 against Geelong in 1944 and South Melbourne in 1961.

Fittingly, its most talented footballer Garry Wilson kicked that goal.

It was then coach Bill Stephen sent out a message to captain Ron Alexander to "go the whole hog".

"I told them you've set Fitzroy history, do the rest" Stephen said.

Twenty minutes and 50 seconds into the final quarter, Fitzroy vetran and former captain Harvey Merrigan accepted a handpass from Robert Walls on the half-forward flank and goaled on the run from the boundary line.

That goal gave the Lions the League record set by Footscray against St.Kilda at the Western Oval last year.

Fitzroy's final score of 36.22.238 was 25 points better than Footscray's effort of 33.15.213.

And the stout work of the Lion defenders to keep Melbourne to 6.12.48 meant that Fitzroy also set a League record winning margin 0f 190 points.

Collingwood held the previous record after it's 178 point win against St.Kilda earlier this year.

Fitzroy's 12 goal third quarter, which put it in sight of the League record, breathed new life into a previously dead game, and had the small crowd buzzing with expectancy.

Four goals in five minutes at the start of the final quarter made that record a certainty.

Only some belated resistance from Melbourne delayed that history making goal until nearly 21 minutes into the quarter, but the Lions finished with 10 goals in the last term.

Neither of the man at the centre of the Lions goal spree have been involved with the scoring end in the past.

Merrigan had played nearly all of his 10 seasons and 175 games at full-back, and had only kicked 9 goals for the Lions before he decided he wanted a change of scenery and moved to the wing this year.

The record goal was his only contribution to Fitzroy's mammoth total.

Stephen, who is in his third stint ay Fitzroy, and coached Essendon for 2 years in 1976 and 1977, said the record score was his greatest thrill as a coach.

Merrigan said: "It was good that we kept going and played four quarters, whichh we haven't been doing. The pressure wasn't there, but it was quite enjoyable"

Fitzroys record also proved profitable.

It collected $6000 for winning a challenge match, and virtually ensured itself of a $2500 bonus for the seasons highest score.

I was at this game - was a huge thrill for me, especially as we had never made the finals in my lifetime, and it was when we showed this sort fo stuff that I thought we may have been a chance for the flag!!

I have a few more articles if you are interested in me "translating" them from the scrapbook to Big Footy...

Enjoy :)

Always interested in Fitzroy's history. Although I was just a young bloke at the time, I saw every home game during this period(1977-1984). I thought 1979 was a fantastic season. However, 1983 was a better chance for a flag.:thumbsu:

I think my first game of football was the 1979 Elimination final :(.

LOL, Fitzroy defeated Essendon in 3/3 Elimination finals between 1979 and 1986.

How could anyone forget the 1986 Elimination final?

Royboys

I was at this game - was a huge thrill for me, especially as we had never made the finals in my lifetime, and it was when we showed this sort fo stuff that I thought we may have been a chance for the flag!!

I have a few more articles if you are interested in me "translating" them from the scrapbook to Big Footy...

Enjoy :)

I too was at the game in 1979. Couldn't believe it then and still have trouble doing so. I also saw the game against South Melbourne in 1961. There were very few highlights in between. Post away with any other articles you have. I found this one fascinating.

Your 1979 scrapbook would make interesting reading. Please post some more.

I actually tipped that Fitzroy would break the League record score in that match. Of course it was the 3rd time that season I'd made the same prediction.

Twas a very special period in Fitzroy's more recent history.

June 20, 1978 - wins first Night Series grand final since 1959, defeating reigning day premiers North Melbourne
June 23, 1979 - starts the 2nd half of the season in 2nd position on the ladder
June 30, 1979 - wins 9th successive game, equal 5th best winning streak ever for Fitzroy, and their best for 19 years
June 30, 1979 - breaks previous club record of 8 consecutive scores of 100+ points
July 28, 1979 - achieves record VFL score and winning margin
August 11, 1979 - guarantees first finals appearance since 1960
September 1, 1979 - loses to Geelong (6th, and out of finals contention) at Kardinia Park in Round 22 by 5 points after leading at 3/4 time, relegating the club from 3rd to 4th and facing an elimination final the following week
September 8, 1979 - plays first final since 1960
September 8, 1979 - wins first final since 1952, defeating Essendon by 81 points, the greatest winning margin in a final in the club's history
September 15, 1979 - loses semi final to Collingwood by 22 points in front of 87,139 at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back