World Cup Greek Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wes Tiger Serbia,Czech republic etc even croatia are far superior footballing nations then greece and no simba i am not a epl fanatic i love european football all round. greece havnt produced 2 notable footballers in years of playing the sport the balkan fellas have produced many as far as i know and the czechs are a proud nation themselves you felles have to stop with this pro greek thing your aussies.

Lol what? We can follow whoever we want champ. I'm an Australian of Greek heritage but I can follow Ivory Coast or Bosnia Herzegvina if I want to. Who the * are you to tell us who to follow?

Mitroglou's lack of match fitness has killed us. He hasn't been on the end of a chance in any of the games I've seen him play since Romania. Playing with his back toward goal, no confidence, he doesn't look right at all.

Japan are a quick side with fluid passing ability, but their side lacks strength, their two CB's are vulnerable. Inclusions of Tachtsidis, Samaris, even Lazaros would impose ourselves physically. I'd play something like this

Karnezis
Toro Sokratis Manolas Tzavella
Samaris Tachtsidis
Fetfa Kone Lazaros
Samaras

Last edited:
As for the Holebas discussion, he's always been a horrible defender but when you're playing in as dominant side in a weaker competition he'll be rarely ever exploited. However going forward he's a handy outlet. Valverde used to play Holebas higher up the park as a left midfielder in important games because he just didn't trust him defensively.

Holebas does some brilliant/flashy things every now and again but his positioning as a defender makes me nauseous.
Spot on about the mentality. The game was crying out for Fetfa and Mitroglou to be on the pitch but they're just not programmed to play in an attacking fashion.
As I see it, due to an already s**t GD of -3 they just have to throw caution to the wind cause the only way they'll get through is 2 wins. Soooo, OUTS: Katsouranis, Holebas, Gekas, Salpingidis INS: Mitroglou, Fetfa, Christodoulopoulos and one of Tzavelas/Moras. Subs that get a run Tachtsidis and Samaris.
But something tells me it'll be more of the same old :mad:
The head coach appointment after Santos finishes up is gonna be very crucial for many years going forward imo.

It will be very crucial. I'd also like to see Tzavellas play; saw him play a few times for Eintracht Frankfurt a few years ago and some of his free kicks were magical, he's got a lethal foot. As for Salpingidis, I don't mind if he plays as he's got a knack for scoring, but his time is coming to an end. We need a coach that isn't afraid to tell them to be confident in attack, because believe it or not we have some very gifted and attacking players.

Santos should have been sacked when he announced he wasnt continuing. How could he still player katsouranis gekas etc is beyond me. I hope the first thing Ranieri does is get rid of the old guard and put in some youngsters,

So is it confirmed re: Ranieri?

I think everybody but the people picking the team on the pitch can see we need players like Gekas and co. to call it a day and let the next generation stamp themselves. How players like Vyntra and Moras are in this side befuddles me.

Santos did get results though (outside of this WC so far ofcourse). Just dont understand why he (and Rehagel) constantly started the same ol' pensioners in crunch games.

I will honestly just be happy if the new coach inspires Greece to play a nice brand of football, and not be sucked in to the defensive mindset. I guess we'll see soon enough with which players he picks for the Euro qualifiers starting soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair on Vyntra and Moras, Vyntra's season with Levante was solid, got good minutes, even scored against Barca in a draw. Moras' season for Hellas Verona was great. Their first season after promotion from Serie B and they finished top half, he played a big part. They were fortunate to have players like Siovas, A & K Papadopoulos unavailable due to injury.

However there are no excuses for inclusions of Gekas, Tziolis and Katsouranis when players like Athanasiadis and Petsos who had better seasons miss out.

Sooooo zero goals after 2 games and still a chance to progress to the round of 16. This must be why the world is in awe of the Greek national football team :cool:

It does have shades of euro 12 doesn't it? How epic would a Greece v Italy match up on the round of 16 be. Epic in a snooze fest kinda way.

Yeah, that was amazing (the fact we got through in 2012), it does feel the same, I was actually saying that to the old man after the draw yesterday. I'll call it now; Torosidis to score and end up 1-0 to beat Cote'D'Ivoire and go through to play Italy.

Yeah, that was amazing (the fact we got through in 2012), it does feel the same, I was actually saying that to the old man after the draw yesterday. I'll call it now; Torosidis to score and end up 1-0 to beat Cote'D'Ivoire and go through to play Italy.
Woh big call saying if we win it'll be 1-0 :D

I know huh.

But in terms of Torosidis scoring it, I think he's looked the most likely to get a goal. Says a lot that one of our defenders looks more dangerous in attack than our forwards.
He's actually better playing up the pitch.

I predicted before the japan game Greece would get a draw, beat Ivory Coast then meet Italy in the 2nd round. But Italy may not even get through, Certainly not in top spot so Greece will play Costa Rica you'd think if they get through which is a good draw. Whether its greece or ivory coast I reckon the ticos are gone 2nd round.

I predicted before the japan game Greece would get a draw, beat Ivory Coast then meet Italy in the 2nd round. But Italy may not even get through, Certainly not in top spot so Greece will play Costa Rica you'd think if they get through which is a good draw. Whether its greece or ivory coast I reckon the ticos are gone 2nd round.
You reckon Japan is no show against Colombia?

You reckon Japan is no show against Colombia?
Buckleys I reckon mate. I reckon Colombia will want to keep the feel good factor flowing and even with a 2nd string side should do the deed vs the Japs. Danger being obviously Colombia has a massive advantage in goal difference but not feeling the Japs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back