World Cup Greek Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha. Not one mention of that dodgy penalty?
Diving is as bad as Luis Suarez biting IMO. Actually its worse because it affects the outcome of the game, and it did here.
My other half is from Ivory Coast, so I'm a big supporter of theirs. I know quite a few Greek people too, so this was an interesting game for me.
Don't think Greece dramatically outplayed Ivory Coast by any stretch. Thought chances went both ways and it was pretty even and a draw would have been a fair result.

Don't get me started on the Greek national team. They played the most boring style of football in euro 2004.
It was a penalty. Non Greek here. Get over it. And get over 2004 boring or not they deserved it. It's not just about attack it's also about the ability to defend and counter an btw they attacked when they could too. Clearly you're jut an anti Greek who's still but hurt over 2004.

'' Thought chances went both ways and it was pretty even and a draw would have been a fair result ''

How many times Ive seen people crying and with these type of statements in this forum. You wouldnt be singing the same tune if it went the other way around would you. Youre biased. This is football there will be chances at either end of the field what do you want the game be decided on who has the most shots on goals and corner kicks?

Go eat some souvlaki.

It was a penalty. Non Greek here. Get over it. And get over 2004 boring or not they deserved it. It's not just about attack it's also about the ability to defend and counter an btw they attacked when they could too. Clearly you're jut an anti Greek who's still but hurt over 2004.

'' Thought chances went both ways and it was pretty even and a draw would have been a fair result ''

How many times Ive seen people crying and with these type of statements in this forum. You wouldnt be singing the same tune if it went the other way around would you. Youre biased. This is football there will be chances at either end of the field what do you want the game be decided on who has the most shots on goals and corner kicks?

Go eat some souvlaki.

I think he also wants to abolish the off-side rule :cool:

Go eat some souvlaki.
Lol. Why would I be anti Greek? Just because I think their national team gets lucky a lot? I support Australia and my views are that of a neutral.
Sorry I must not dare disagree with anyone on this forum.
Your view is in the minority. If you bother to watch the replay, there's no evidence Samaras was even touched when he took a dive and even if there was it was minimal. So in any case it was staging. But I guess it happens so much now that some football/soccer fans see it as normal. This is the view of most people around the world (non Greek at least). Even the commentator thought so.
But that's football - there is a lot of luck involved in close games.

Lol. Why would I be anti Greek? Just because I think their national team gets lucky a lot? I support Australia and my views are that of a neutral.
Sorry I must not dare disagree with anyone on this forum.
Your view is in the minority. If you bother to watch the replay, there's no evidence Samaras was even touched when he took a dive and even if there was it was minimal. So in any case it was staging. But I guess it happens so much now that some football/soccer fans see it as normal. This is the view of most people around the world (non Greek at least). Even the commentator thought so.
But that's football - there is a lot of luck involved in close games.

He took his leg from behind and didn't get anywhere near the ball… i'm not sure how it's not a penalty.

The fact that the Ivory Coast defenders didn't feel at all aggrieved should tell you the whole story

He took his leg from behind and didn't get anywhere near the ball… i'm not sure how it's not a penalty.

The fact that the Ivory Coast defenders didn't feel at all aggrieved should tell you the whole story

Could have gone either way. The Ivorian defender didn't even challenge Samaras, most of the contact was due to Samaras swinging his foot to shoot. There weren't many appeals from the greek players either. I think 7 times out of 10 that isn't given as a penalty. But it is still there to be given and good on the referee for calling it as he sees it. By the same token it would have been a good decision if he didn't award it also.

So after all that, shattered all day today. Should've won, could've won, too many mistakes. Keeper malakies, Santos malakies; why on earth would he put on Katsouranis and Gekas as subs? Why?

Nevertheless I'm proud, non-Greeks really need to understand how much our national team has improved markedly over the last 20 years, and that we probably need another 5-10 to become on-par with the strongest European teams. The hatred and vitriol directed at Greece has really surprised me, and sometimes I've wondered if I had been watching the same match. Example, Greece 23 shots, 12 on target today, Costa Rica 5 shots, 2 on target. Etc, and supposedly Costa Rica deserved it. Bullshite.

Last edited:
Won't get an easier chance to progress to a World Cup quarter final. Disappointing loss but still proud of the team nonetheless. This also would mean the end of an era. We see the last of our Euro 04 team end their national team career's, Karagounis Katsouranis. Both Greek football legends and also Gekas who's been a great servant to the national team, bravo.

We are a very tight unit, all the players have agreed to reject their bonuses from the Greek football federation and instead have asked them to be put toward building a national training centre. We've had successful U/19 national teams that have made European Championship finals but for whatever reason those players have failed to carry on and break through that barrier and perform at senior level. This will go a long way to improving that.

Euro qualifiers are right around the corner now, we have a new manager in Ranieri who I hope brings in some new ideas. We've been lucky enough to draw a very easy group which should allow for Ranieri to experiment and find his best side without too much risk of giving up points.

I think the next phase is playing a 3-5-2. Once Kyriakos Papadopoulos is fit, he Sokratis and Manolas would be an impenetrable wall. Looking forward to the future of this side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty gutted, but the reality is if you can't convert an hour of intense pressure and frequent opportunities then you probably don't deserve to be there tbh.

The core going forward looks decent enough as well, if not slightly the wrong side of 25.

Karnezis

Torosidis Sokratis Papa Manolas Holebas
Kone Samaris Lazaros
Samaras
Mitroglou

Logical progression is clearly 5-3-2 as Prince St mentioned

Last edited:
Greece knows its limitations and plays accordingly. Its generally not pretty and very tactical but given bigger and better nations dont even qualify for WC's or go home embarassingly early then its achievements over the past 10 years have been amazing. They leave everything on the field and you can clearly tell they play for the shirt and country. If only my footy team had their warrior like approach.....

Not Greek But I love your team guys I just love your never say die attitude, last ditch defending and backs to the wall grit that you display. I really wanted you to win and willed you on but it wasn't to be. Just saw Gekas's pen and I have to see it again on replay but it looked a decent shot in real time? Slow mo may change my mind as Ill see the placement better but he hit it with good pace. Mitroglou should have nailed that chance on 120, great save but poor placement from him imo could have slid it straight into the net. Easy to say in hindsight. I will say however that you have to know that Costa Rica should of had a pk as that was a clear handball and almost certainly the game is dusted right there. It should never have gone to e.t and penalties so I feel even though youre gutted, you were lucky to even be in that situation.

HELLAS!

To qualify?
LOL good one! We have the talent to win it! It's so hard trying to explain to non-Greeks that we actually have talent sitting on the bench, but it's just laughed at! In fact we had Serie A players on the bench during the world cup! We have some really good young talent and they will be showcased heavily over the next few years! Also that bum Santos is gone and in comes Claudio Ranieri!

I'm pretty gutted, but the reality is if you can't convert an hour of intense pressure and frequent opportunities then you probably don't deserve to be there tbh.

The core going forward looks decent enough as well, if not slightly the wrong side of 25.

Karnezis

Torosidis Sokratis Papa Manolas Holebas
Kone Samaris Lazaros
Samaras
Mitroglou

Logical progression is clearly 5-3-2 as Prince St mentioned
I'd really like to see players like Karelis, Klonaridis, Lagos, 30fyllopoulos, Stafylidis etc feature from the Euro 2016 qualifiers. Kapino could possibly be our starting keeper at Euro 16!

I'd really like to see players like Karelis, Klonaridis, Lagos, 30fyllopoulos, Stafylidis etc feature from the Euro 2016 qualifiers. Kapino could possibly be our starting keeper at Euro 16!

I'm a big wrap for Mavrias, but i'd like to see a couple of these guys go overseas so they don't stagnate and they can overtake the older blokes like Maniatis, katsouranis and Gekas, who are mostly serviceable, but can be genuine liabilities.

I'm a big wrap for Mavrias, but i'd like to see a couple of these guys go overseas so they don't stagnate and they can overtake the older blokes like Maniatis, katsouranis and Gekas, who are mostly serviceable, but can be genuine liabilities.
Yes Mavrias is another player that can lift the NT to a different level! Unfortunately I don't think Katsouranis will retire just yet but hopefully Ranieri does the right thing and never call him up! Also I'd also like for us to cap some young talent in some friendly matches. Players like Angelos Oikonomou (18 year old - Bayern Munich youth), Panos Armenakas (16 year old Greek-Australian - Udinese), Georgios Spanoudakis (16 year old - Barcelona youth team)!

LOL good one!
You could've given me a "like". Just sayin...

We have the talent to win it! It's so hard trying to explain to non-Greeks that we actually have talent sitting on the bench, but it's just laughed at! In fact we had Serie A players on the bench during the world cup! We have some really good young talent and they will be showcased heavily over the next few years!
This thread is about Greece, not Belgium. It's quite easy to explain it to non-Greeks. I don't know what your trouble is.

Not Greek But...
HELLAS!
Hmmm...I'm having trouble believing you.

edit: Fair play to the mods for deleting Wes Tiger's s**t response to my post, without me having to report it.

Last edited:
It's quite easy to explain it to non-Greeks. I don't know what your trouble is..

Then let me explain it to you and your like; Greece is not Germany. Greece doesn't have an infinite amount of resources to pour into the game. Greece has the potential to be Germany-like in 10 years with the quality of youngsters coming through. Greek football (international) has been constantly improving over the last 20 years. It's a bit unfair to say all we do is defend, if people have watched this World CUp they'll know that's not true. Unfortunately we have to deal with stereotypes of yesteryear, and that type is hard to break until these youngsters come through.

Hope I explained it well enough for a 2am rant.

Then let me explain it to you and your like; Greece is not Germany. Greece doesn't have an infinite amount of resources to pour into the game. Greece has the potential to be Germany-like in 10 years with the quality of youngsters coming through. Greek football (international) has been constantly improving over the last 20 years. It's a bit unfair to say all we do is defend, if people have watched this World CUp they'll know that's not true. Unfortunately we have to deal with stereotypes of yesteryear, and that type is hard to break until these youngsters come through.

Hope I explained it well enough for a 2am rant.
You do get there was a joke somewhere in my post?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back