Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

Remove this Banner Ad

MLF talking on Facebook live now with the media, feel like he hasn't said anything to be honest. Been listening 15 minutes.

The more I think about the AJ Dillon pick I like it, we had massive problems with third and short last year as good as Jones was. This will help our offence stay on the field. Problem is we need the defence to stay off the field. AJ Dillon but up his impressive stats facing a stacked 8+ man box 43% of the time, compare that to Taylor, he only had it 29%. It's impressive.

The one thing I hate is I love Aaron Jones, I love his attitude and work ethic and I think this is going to be another example of how brutal the league is. He will want to be compensated nicely for his great output, and it won't be with us I'm afraid. I've thought about it and wonder if he would do a team friendly 9M or so, and his personality suggests it is a possibility but who knows.

I think we are hoping the season doesnt get played.

the Dillon pick means we wont try and keep Jamall Williams because Dillion is a more explosive version of that "power back". Dillion also has good hands according to scouts just at BC didnt get to showcase that.

no WR's is crazy. and banking on MVS recovering from the sophomore slump and that EQ, Lazard and Funches will be productive. i know Lazard will do what he can, EQ showed flashes his rookie year, and Funches was said to look good in TC for the Colts last year but dont trust him.

I like the depth work on OL we did. but will really miss Bulaga.

ILB still has me worried. unless we play a base nickle or move a S like Campbell or Greene down.

I dont hate the Love pick. i understand it as a investment and a statement that we got lucky last year and need to work harder if we think we are a 13-3 team.
We need something more that just Rodgers in the QB room. Boyle and everyone else in that room since Flynn has been trash. But the trade up to get him looks poor unless there was a team also looking at him.

Some of the draft felt like a TT one. others felt like Gute saying "im smarter than everyone else" and banking on his scouts finding gems for him. rather than trying to top up and give Aaron more weapons for a win now season.

Wow that was bad. More than happy to be proved wrong but that was a complete dumpster fire of a draft.

Would’ve been rapt with Fromm in the 4th or even 3rd. Give him 2 years to see if he’s any good if not no big deal we’ll just ship him off. Instead we’ve gone chips in on an extremely speculative 1st rounder who is either good and he sees * all snaps for 4 years or he’s no good and we ship him off to Cleveland for a 7th round pick.

Looking at positives I like the Runyan and Garvin picks.

The only saving grace here would be we find out an OBJ trade has been in the works.

Lol, hes clearly trolling AR....

------

Speaking Saturday, Packers coach Matt LaFleur insisted he wanted Aaron Rodgers to remain the team's starting quarterback as long as possible.
After Rodgers asked for weapons, the Pack supplied him with a first-round quarterback, yet another running back and an H-back. No receivers. "Aaron is a pro, and he's the leader of our football team, and I anticipate that for a really long time," LaFleur said in his finest coachspeak. "I have so much respect for him not only as a player but the person, and some of the stuff that nobody sees. So I can't tell you how much I like working with him." LaFleur proceeded to lay if on even thicker, saying Rodgers is the best quarterback he's ever been around, and that he hopes "he can play until he decides he doesn't want to play anymore." Those answers make sense, but they are impossible to square with the Packers' draft actions. Even after making the NFC Championship Game last season, the Packers are planning for a more run-heavy, Rodgers-less future. Rodgers has remained publicly silent, though he has reached out to Jordan Love.
SOURCE: ESPN
Apr 26, 2020, 10:56 AM ET

I mean, Rodgers is 36. Favre was 35 when you drafted Rodgers. Favre was coming off a 92.4 QBR season, while Rodgers is coming off a 95.4 QBR season.

ALmost the exact same situation.

So whats the issue?

Would you rather ride out Rodgers until hes done then be stuck with QBs like Jay Fiedler, Damon Huard, Ray Lucas, Brian Griese, AJ Feeley, Sage Rosenfels, Gus Frerotte, Daunte Culpepper, Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon, Trent Green, John Beck, Chad Pennington, Chad Henne, Tyler Thigpen, Matt Moore, Ryan Tannehill, Jay Cutler, Brock Osweiler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh Rosen or the next 20 years?

ALmost the exact same situation.
Rodgers was considered by many people to be the #1 QB in the draft that year. It's like if Tua fell to us and we traded up to mid 20's to take him.

Jordan Love was about the 5th best on most peoples draft boards. Not saying he won't be good and I'm definitely rooting for him. But the situation and pick is somewhat different.

Would you rather ride out Rodgers until hes done then be stuck with QBs like Jay Fiedler, Damon Huard, Ray Lucas, Brian Griese, AJ Feeley, Sage Rosenfels, Gus Frerotte, Daunte Culpepper, Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon, Trent Green, John Beck, Chad Pennington, Chad Henne, Tyler Thigpen, Matt Moore, Ryan Tannehill, Jay Cutler, Brock Osweiler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh Rosen or the next 20 years?
*shudder*

I'm torn on the Love selection, on one hand we need to look to the future and by selecting a QB when Rodgers is still playing allowing our QB to sit and grow in my belief is the best way for them to learn. Also having Rodgers isn't going to create a QB controversy, Love won't be beating out Rodgers any time soon either.

Now I don't like that we traded up in what I view as an unnecessary trade to select Love, I also believe we went a year too early on a QB as by the time Rodgers' contract is up we will be looking into taking on Love's fifth year option. While I believe we pick the option up that means Love only has a season to prove his worth as the next franchise QB.

This is also a QB driven league and we've been spoilt going from back to back HoF QBs. Every other team in that same time frame has either had one great QB, one good QB or has had a carousel of QBs of such dismal talent it's ruined the organisation.

I liked the Dillion pick, he reminds me of Eddie Lacy only less interested in Chinese food. Jones and Williams are both into the last year of their contracts and there's every chance we lose both of them. We can't be looking at drafter another two rookie RBs in one draft again.

But it was an incredibly strange draft for the Packers looking from the outside in. The only decision I don't agree with is picking an ILB so late, we struggled in the middle of the field last year on defence and I fear that weakness will only be worse this year.

Taking a TE who will be used as full back at times in third my Packers draft highlight. 👍

Management must really believe in Devin Funchess ....😂😂😂

I'm torn on the Love selection, on one hand we need to look to the future and by selecting a QB when Rodgers is still playing allowing our QB to sit and grow in my belief is the best way for them to learn. Also having Rodgers isn't going to create a QB controversy, Love won't be beating out Rodgers any time soon either.

Now I don't like that we traded up in what I view as an unnecessary trade to select Love, I also believe we went a year too early on a QB as by the time Rodgers' contract is up we will be looking into taking on Love's fifth year option. While I believe we pick the option up that means Love only has a season to prove his worth as the next franchise QB.

This is also a QB driven league and we've been spoilt going from back to back HoF QBs. Every other team in that same time frame has either had one great QB, one good QB or has had a carousel of QBs of such dismal talent it's ruined the organisation.

I liked the Dillion pick, he reminds me of Eddie Lacy only less interested in Chinese food. Jones and Williams are both into the last year of their contracts and there's every chance we lose both of them. We can't be looking at drafter another two rookie RBs in one draft again.

But it was an incredibly strange draft for the Packers looking from the outside in. The only decision I don't agree with is picking an ILB so late, we struggled in the middle of the field last year on defence and I fear that weakness will only be worse this year.

After a few days I agree with a lot of what you said. Emotion seeped out of my thoughts and I don't hate it as much as I did, but yep a year early on a QB I think.

I'm very excited to see a Jones/Dillon combo this year
Packers will probably trade for AJ Green, and nab some other vet WR and all will be good again in Packland

Kirk from the Cards is out there and would be cheap. OBJ rumours have been out there but would be a surprise.

With uncertainty if the ncaa/nfl season gets played, maybe teams are reluctant to trade for picks given theyd be future picks. I think only one trade during the draft contained a future pick (trent williams). Usually a draft has tons of future picks involved.

So, maybe a trade for Green or OBJ might mean player swaps, which would be difficult.

With uncertainty if the ncaa/nfl season gets played, maybe teams are reluctant to trade for picks given theyd be future picks. I think only one trade during the draft contained a future pick (trent williams). Usually a draft has tons of future picks involved.

So, maybe a trade for Green or OBJ might mean player swaps, which would be difficult.

They'd trade picks.

I find it interesting that people think there will be uncertainty surrounding the starting of the NFL or NCAA season. We've seen how desperate everyone over there is to get back to their normal lives. People talking about baseball, NBA returning.. the league with the least regard for players and player safety will be quite keen to get the league back at all costs imo. Although as Aaron Rodgers said recently, you can't even have 10 people together at the moment, let alone 60,000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers for bringing some positive energy GG, amidst a pack of 'the sky is falling' posts.
LeFleur and co know you cant be one-dimensional in football. Cant just run only or pass only. They obviously have ideas and plans for how to address the passing game, eyes on certain receivers, eyes on certain LBs. Its a step by step process. Itll work out. Packers are perpetual contenders, they know what theyre doing

LeFleur and co know you cant be one-dimensional in football. Cant just run only or pass only. They obviously have ideas and plans for how to address the passing game, eyes on certain receivers, eyes on certain LBs. Its a step by step process. Itll work out. Packers are perpetual contenders, they know what theyre doing

It's Also A bit early to be making calls on just drafted picks making it or not.

It's Also A bit early to be making calls on just drafted picks making it or not.
True, but i dont think thats the issue here, but more the direction they went with their picks. Still, like i reckon, all will be good in packland as the front office wheels and deals week by week

True, but i dont think thats the issue here, but more the direction they went with their picks. Still, like i reckon, all will be good in packland as the front office wheels and deals week by week

Hey, I'm just glad McCarthy's gone, thank Christ.

So according to Peter King's article lastnight the Packers have intel that a team in the early 2nd round was looking to trade up to take Love.
and they also had 2 WR targets in the 2nd round that they tried to trade up for until both were gone. I think they were Pittman and either Claypool or Shenault.

Then after having to trade up for Love and missing on the 2 WR's they wanted in the 2nd it felt like a panic draft and reach on players rather than risk them not falling to the next pick.

I still like the pick of Love. Just look at our QB room the past 10 years. We needed to invest there as a back up plan and a future plan.

It's clear where they are looking to go in terms of who has been picked up over the offseason.

Funchess - massive WR, not far off a TE, blocker.
Dillon - power back, short down and goal line situations will be better
Deguara - Blocker FB style
3 more lineman

LaFleur wants to implement his offence how he intended to. In the SF mold.

It's clear where they are looking to go in terms of who has been picked up over the offseason.

3 more lineman

Oh thats a given. Rodgers to take a backseat and follow, and be a good soldier. Or else. They still need one more WR. I am sure they are looking and scheming.

3 more lineman

I'm starting to like the Dillon pick a little more. I like watching Jones, more of a Twinkle Toes that can zip through. Dillon more of a bruiser reminds me a little of Nick Chubb, with a little extra chub but not too much chub that he turns out like Lacey.

Oh thats a given. Rodgers to take a backseat and follow, and be a good soldier. Or else. They still need one more WR. I am sure they are looking and scheming.

To be honest I don't think he'll mind doing that too much. If going run heavy opens up the pass enough times he'll still end up with some really tidy stats. One more WR maybe, I would want something cheap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back