Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

Remove this Banner Ad

Officially we have pick 27 in the draft.

Was kinda bummed, cos it's a real nothing pick... But historically its not too bad.

The last three have been Byron Jones, Deone Buchanon and DeAndre Hopkins.

Also Devon McCourty, DeAngelo Williams, Roddy White, Larry Johnson, Michael Bennett (Rb), and some dude named Dan Marino.

Packer #27s, Clyde Goodnight, Fred Cone, George Timberlake, Dick Christy, Jon Morris and most recently John Michaels...

Maybe I'm not so excited now...

That's the one... They had a bad run with RBs around that time with injuries (Robert Smith too). Not that I feel bad though...
Robert smith was a legend

If I recall correctly Bennett was taken because he retired. He was a track convert and wasn't a very good RB

Coaching:

Head Coach:
Mike McCarthy:

I don't what to do with McCarthy any more. I already said in this thread earlier that I can see us moving on from him, but after the ending to our season that isn't going to happen. It's clear something is wrong within the locker room on the offensive side of the ball. I think we change the coaching staff around again and get coaches back into coach positions rather than being grouped together as it clearly hasn't worked. The 2016 campaign is coming down to a Superbowl or firing for McCarthy, he's been here for 10 years and seen plenty of success but also plenty of failures.

Overall: D (C+)

Offensive Coordinator:
Tom Clements:

Clements oversaw the offence for the first 14 or so games. The first 6 were great and then the bye weak happened and all hell broke loose. The receivers couldn't get open, Rodgers was missing throws, RBs were fumbling and lineman were dropping like flies leaving this once great offence a shell of it's former self. This lead to McCarthy taking back the play calling and has ultimately ended Clements time in GB I'd say.

Overall: F (D)

Defensive Coordinator:
Dom Capers:

Capers showed that when given the right pieces he can still put together a strong defence. This was one of the better defensive units that Green Bay has put out in recent years, if it was paired with it's usual offence I'd say it was great. It was able to sack the QB and stop the pass. Once again it had it's moments against the run but overall there were more positives than negatives.

Overall: B+ (D)

Current Free Agents:
Scott Tolzien QB UFA 28
James Starks RB UFA 29
John Kuhn FB UFA 33
James Jones WR UFA 31
Justin Perillo TE ERFA 25
Don Barclay T UFA 26
Jamon Meredith T UFA 29
Lane Taylor G RFA 26
Letroy Guion DE UFA 28
B.J. Raji NT UFA 29
Mike Neal OLB UFA 28
Nick Perry OLB UFA 25
Andy Mulumba OLB RFA 25
Casey Hayward CB UFA 26
Chris Banjo SS RFA 25
Sean Richardson SS UFA 25
Mason Crosby K UFA 31

Re-signings:
1. B.J. Raji
2. Mason Crosby
3. Nick Perry
4. James Starks
5. Chris Banjo
6. Mike Neal (if Perry doesn't re-sign)
7. Letroy Guion (if Raji doesn't re-sign)
8. Casey Hayward (but doubt we can afford him)

Retired:
1. Sean Richardson (neck)

Cut:
Barclay, Meredith, Taylor, Mulumba, Perillo, Jones, Tolzien

Restructure:
1. Julius Peppers

Free Agents:
1. Ladarius Green TE San Diego
2. Coby Fleener TE Indianapolis
3. Dwayne Allen TE Indianapolis

Draft Needs:
1. Inside linebacker
2. Tight end
3. Offensive line
4. Running back
5. Wide receiver
6. Safety

Obviously our draft needs will change once Free Agency has been sorted.

Robert smith was a legend

If I recall correctly Bennett was taken because he retired. He was a track convert and wasn't a very good RB

I thought it was the other way round... Made a pro bowl, so he wasn't talent-less. Just ruined by injury.

Been at the beach for the past week, so havent been able to post.

What a game we played. before the game Rodgers had only had 19 completed passes with both Adams and Cobb off the field. and when Cobb went down we were down our top 4 WR's from the pre-season depth chart [Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery]. Offence played great considering we had no one to throw to Jannis and Abby did good didnt run great routes and cut some short but did better then i expected once Cobb went down. Run game was good again but Lacy needs to lose weight like McCarthy has said because again he couldnt finish a long run and went down inside the 5 for the 2nd year in a row.

D played good most of the night, i feel if Shields had been playing the last few weeks he wouldnt of been as rusty and would of taken the near INT back to the house. But luck was against us. that tip pass where Arizona were clearly blocking in the endzone before the pass and prevented someone going for the INT before it fell into Floyds hands. and the Fitz catch i dont get how that was much different to the Dez catch last year.

In OT It is on Peppers but also the Corner for going too deep. It was like a 3deep kind of zone on the first play of OT WTF? the Peppers zone he played too shallow and broke it 1 second early [it was meant to be a 6 second zone, He broke it at 5 and went for the QB] but its also on the rushers we got to Palmer but didnt bring him down. I dont think that we needed to go for 2 because then its one play for the game with no name WR's and Lacy cant do short yd plays.

I dont have an issue with the OT Rules on the regular season but in Playoffs i hate them 2 years in a row we have lost without getting the ball and it makes Rodgers record in OT/close Playoff games look worse because its decided by a coin flip [or lack off with out letting us make another call].

OT Rules in Playoffs need to change both teams given 1 possession unless there is a defensive score then sudden death. and maybe make them go for 2 on a first possession TD for each team.

I saw that we are moving Clay back to OLB next season, with draft i think we need to spend 1st on OG, 2nd on ILB. There are some great LB's in the upcoming draft that wont get first round grades so if we scout right we can get a gem late 2nd round.

Need to re-sign Crosby his best year since his rookie season when he set a franchise record for points scored. and need to get a new Punter like 7th round pick or undrafted.

"Several sources" tell the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Packers coach Mike McCarthy is "fed up" with GM Ted Thompson's "unwillingness to take a chance and reinforce the roster with veteran players."

Thompson has built an annual contender out of the draft, but his aversion to signing veterans drafted elsewhere borders on the pathological/neurotic. It's rarely brought up as an issue since the Pack are always in the mix, but apparently it's become a point of contention in-house. According to longtime Packers reporter Bob McGinn, Thompson functions mostly as a "glorified director of college scouting." Thompson's 2015 roster was his weakest in multiple seasons. Perhaps he'll finally take a longer look at veteran free agents this year.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn believes it has been "25 years or more since a coach in Green Bay made more errors in allocating playing time than Mike McCarthy did this year."

McGinn, who is Mr. Packer, makes Jeff Janis the centerpiece of his case. Like many observers, McGinn believes Janis "should have been playing earlier and a lot more than he did" before his Divisional Round breakout. McCarthy admitted as much after Janis exploded against the Cardinals. Even with Jordy Nelson (ACL) coming back for 2016, Janis' deep game is worth holding on tight to in Dynasty leagues.
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how none of these journalists were banging on about Janis playing more when he was 6th on the WR depth chart after pre-season.

How To Spot A Hack Writer - 101
Yes and no.
From about mid year it was obvious our offence needed to change. Janis offered that in a big deep threat.

Yes and no.
From about mid year it was obvious our offence needed to change. Janis offered that in a big deep threat.
Looking at it from the conventional 'make your decisions as you go - not after' standpoint, there wasn't anything historically to suggest that Janis would be able to break apart opposition defenses from the 1 or 2 role and I doubt they were willing to sacrifice his ST output or risk an injury to find out.

Don't get me wrong, I liked his preseason and thought he was stiff to be behind Abbrederis. It's clear he'll get more of a look in next sesaon, but Adams needed the exposure to prove his mettle as well as free up Cobb for slot play when needed. Throwing Janis in would've required a massive offensive restructure.

Deserves the deal. Has been great since his bad year. Kicks in some of the hardest conditions, has kicked 20 straight field goals in playoffs and didn't miss an extra point all season.

It was only that one down year. His rookie season in 2007, he broke the team record for points scored by a Kicker. Well deserved to be one of the highest paid kickers, and has to play outdoors and in the NFC North every year.

So heyward signs with the chargers which i guess was expected was going to go but raji is going to announce his retiring. Didnt see or hear anything about that

Heyward going sucks, but we have drafted well in the secondary over the last few years, we got 2 good CB's last year from the draft.

Would like to see us get a DT this week, Guion could be good if he stopped doing dumb s**t off the field but still need someone else.

I wish we made a play at Trevathan because we need another OLB, but always expected that we would target that in the draft.

I want to see what happens with Starks, who will give him the money he wants or if he comes back. Otherwise my man Crockett will be the back up.

I dont know if we will bring Quarless back, but we need another TE. DickRod did good this season and Purrillo played 1-2 good games with limited time. But not sure how we rate the TE's in the draft since some under-preformed at the combine. so could pick one up in the 4th.

Draft day (well weekend) done and dusted.

Round 1 Pick 27:
Kenny Clark DT UCLA

Round 2 Pick 48:
Jason Spriggs OT Indiana

Round 3 Pick 88:
Kyler Fackrell OLB Utah State

Round 4 Pick 131:
Blake Martinez ILB Stanford

Round 4 Pick 137:
Dean Lowry DE Northwestern

Round 5 Pick 163:
Trevor Davis WR California

Round 6 Pick 200:
Kyle Murphy OT Stanford

Not a bad draft. We now have 3 Stanford players.

Thought Martinez would of been a 5-6th round pick, but stoked we got him. Great tackler and leader. the energy of Clay and could be like AJ Hawk when Hawk was in his prime. Lead Stanford in tackles, and doesnt over commit. good vision could see him being a starter late in the season.
I dont know how Kyle Murphy was still there in the 6th round. Great pick. He can play inside or Outside, fast learner and wont have an ego, so like his first year at Stanford will be ok with sitting for a year before being a starter. Like all OL members from Stanford he can pull either side, so we could use some sweep plays with a pulling G or T.

Didnt get a TE, but took another WR, dont know about that yet. Sure Jones is gone again. but Nelson and Montgomery are back.
Took some D-Line which is nice, just hope they can transition to the NFL. Taking Clark and an OLB looks better now.

Martinez will be my rookie man crush heading into pre-season, dont know who im going to "adopt" this season like i did with Crockett last year, and will have to see scrimige and pre-season 1/HOF game before i pick again.

Draft day (well weekend) done and dusted.

Round 1 Pick 27:
Kenny Clark DT UCLA

Round 2 Pick 48:
Jason Spriggs OT Indiana

Round 3 Pick 88:
Kyler Fackrell OLB Utah State

Round 4 Pick 131:
Blake Martinez ILB Stanford

Round 4 Pick 137:
Dean Lowry DE Northwestern

Round 5 Pick 163:
Trevor Davis WR California

Round 6 Pick 200:
Kyle Murphy OT Stanford

I love you TT, and glad you finally found Stanford last draft.
Now sign a TE from the UFA's

I like how you went DL with Clark to replace Raji. More pressing need than LB IMO. Think Clark will be a very good player also.

Spriggs in the 2nd another wise/nice pick also. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back