Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

Remove this Banner Ad

So it seems we wont be giving Lang a new contract for next season.

WTF TT, out backups are not ready yet and Lang still has good years to come. give him a 2 year deal. we are going to get Rodgers killed. and Lacy needs to prove he is worth big money.

So it seems we wont be giving Lang a new contract for next season.

Whoa! Mate, you had me freaking out for a second there until I found this:

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers

Article says Lang and Sitton were told there'd be zero contract negotiations with either until season's end (and younger guys like Bakh, Lacy, Cook and co. get re-signed).

Big difference between "no negotiations until contract is done" and "we won't be giving Lang a new contract next season"!

If you've got another link though saying he's definitely not getting a new contract offer, feel free to post and I'll go back to freaking out :S

Whoa! Mate, you had me freaking out for a second there until I found this:

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers

Article says Lang and Sitton were told there'd be zero contract negotiations with either until season's end (and younger guys like Bakh, Lacy, Cook and co. get re-signed).

Big difference between "no negotiations until contract is done" and "we won't be giving Lang a new contract next season"!

If you've got another link though saying he's definitely not getting a new contract offer, feel free to post and I'll go back to freaking out :S

I didnt have time to read it all, just had a quick read of parts. I f**kin hope we give Lang a new deal. but even giving him the chance to walk is dangerous after releasing Sitton.

Week 1 [unofficial] depth chart is out.

Im not sure about only having 2 RB's on the roster, unless we plan on using Cobb or Montgomery as a back at times. and might not have 3 backs active every week.
OL is LT Bakh, LG Lane Taylor, C Tretter, RG Lang, RT Bulaga. Barclay 2nd string inside, Sprigs 2nd String LT, Murphy 2nd string RT
the Florida heat means im expecting alot of Lacy running inside.
Hope Nelson has a good comeback, not expecting too much like 5-6 catches or so.
Cobb is listed as 2nd string Holder, Hyde and Trevor Davis are returners.
Blake Martinez is starting MLB with the Comms helmet

I love that we signed Devon Cajuste even if its only Practice Squad, a good vertical TE, with good hands and can block [You cant block you dont start at Stanford] Could see him getting called up this year. He could be a new cult hero with Kuhn gone. Stanford fans chanted Cajuseeeee when he caught the ball. he has WR speed when running quick cut routes or streaks.

How'd we all see today's game??

Offense (and Jordy) slow to start but got going.

Defense was ok also, CMIII seemed everywhere (though he usually does just before he gets injured :(), D-backs stepped up late, after Shields went down too which was good to see. Thought Haha was pretty good also.

Defense was ok also, CMIII seemed everywhere (though he usually does just before he gets injured :(), D-backs stepped up late, after Shields went down too which was good to see. Thought Haha was pretty good also.

Run D was great some great TFL with some just after the handoff, Pass D was discussing we were biting on every double move and got burned on a bunch of them.
DL played good, so did OLB, all 3 ILBs had good moments but also made some mistakes. Martinez did great with the coms helmet, dont think we got caught in a broken defense all game, but he took some bad angles in the run game that he needs to fix. Almost got a sack and had a few knock downs. and scared a RB on a flat causing a drop. Not much good to say about the Corners, i think we need to play Hyde as the Nickle back again Rollins and Gunter had some issues, Rollins got benched for a bit.
Safties both played good, made some good plays in the run game, only issue was the PI call on Burnett late in the game on 3rd down.

Offence was good other then the 3 constitutive 3-and outs in the 1st Q, but 2 of them were good punting from Jags, and cant blame Hyde since he couldnt see the ball.
Nelson played good, didnt do much before the TD drive, will get better when he gets his timing back.
A few drops and overthrows. Adams dropped a huge gain, but made that amazing catch just before the half.
Both TE's played good nice blocking and good route running but not many catches, not much from the backup WR's other then the holding call Montgomery drew. backups didnt get many snaps
Lacy was great, 2-3 runs of over 10yds and a 15yd reception that was almost a neg yd play [and would of been last year]
Crosby still one of the best, glad there was no bad holds.
Punting still a weak spot, and looked worse when you saw how good the Jags were at punting

Offence was good when you think we had just over 300yds total Offence

Rodgers had a shocker.

Held the ball too long leading to fumbles and sacks, regularly missed wide-open receivers, continually focused on Jordy or Davante instead of sharing it around.

A lot of that might come down to the lack of playing time in preseason but going back to last season I'm starting to question his mechanics.

Often last year he would throw off the back foot and under or overthrow the receiver, that is still happening... a lot!

Coaching was incredibly frustrating at times as well.

The usual stuff, limiting Lacy's reps and trying to use him in situations better suited to a Starks type of back because of the rotation. Likewise, Starks being rotated in when the situation needs a pounder like Lacy to pick up the short yards.

Going for the long ball on 3rd and 3 instead of running a quick slant/targeting a TE and moving the chains.

Like I mentioned before, force feeding Adams and Nelson (the latter EVERY time we are stuck on 3rd down), and the rest of the reps go to Cobb while Abby, Montgomery, Rodgers and co gather dust. Only plus was Cook got targeted a little more this week.

D-Line did super well stuffing the run (loss of Guion there is gonna hurt us though) but our DB's got torched again, giving up big plays. Bradford played a hell of a game for Minnesota on limited prep and under plenty of defensive pressure.

Peppers did well on limited reps. Daniels was awesome. We held them to 17 but gotta start scoring or forget about it. And that 4th down gamble hurt!

Coaching was incredibly frustrating at times as well.

The usual stuff, limiting Lacy's reps and trying to use him in situations better suited to a Starks type of back because of the rotation. Likewise, Starks being rotated in when the situation needs a pounder like Lacy to pick up the short yards.

Going for the long ball on 3rd and 3 instead of running a quick slant/targeting a TE and moving the chains.

Like I mentioned before, force feeding Adams and Nelson (the latter EVERY time we are stuck on 3rd down), and the rest of the reps go to Cobb while Abby, Montgomery, Rodgers and co gather dust. Only plus was Cook got targeted a little more this week.

D-Line did super well stuffing the run (loss of Guion there is gonna hurt us though) but our DB's got torched again, giving up big plays. Bradford played a hell of a game for Minnesota on limited prep and under plenty of defensive pressure.

Peppers did well on limited reps. Daniels was awesome. We held them to 17 but gotta start scoring or forget about it. And that 4th down gamble hurt!

Interesting stuff. I myself wondered why they (we?) kept going for the long pass on third down and figured I must be wrong and not know what I'm thinking.

The call that shat me the most was the fourth down keeping Starks in needing one yard. Very next play Bradford hits Diggs for like 40-50 yards or whatever when it could've been 10 - 10 instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our Corners are lazy and soft, the Vikes had 1 option on offence, YES 1... And we couldn't do $hit to stop them, it was painful to watch man. Our corners lost us the game it's that simple, even with A-Rods loose hands we still would have won if our corners did their jobs.

Run D was epic, Daniels is the best DE in the NFC, Clay the best Pass rusher and Peppers the best back up/impact LB in the NFC, we are stacked to stop the run and pressure the QB. The DB's need to lift, when is Shields back? We missed him terribly man, he at least shows intensity, Randall was driving me up the wall.

A-Rod got moving, Jordy got better as the game went on but I was disappointed with Cobb, he couldn't find any separation.

Play calling is really shonky, just as Lacy was starting to find rhythm and break through tackles we went with a speed back on 3rd and shorts...WHAT THE ACTUAL?

Positives and negatives out of the game, pretty similar to the Jags. Need improvement if we want to win the North.

Folks, been a long week after the Vikings game - it's not that we lost, it's the vanilla/predictable nature of our offense that is so concerning. And the more I hear and read from the coaches and Rodgers this week the more I wonder if they are in denial.

You know when you're watching your AFL team get rolled week after week (yeah, I'm a Demons fan) and during the week they all talk about sticking to the process/working harder etc etc but sitting in the stands it's obvious none of that will change anything - it's the gameplan that's flawed. That's what I see with the Pack.

The way we're constantly throwing to Adams is achieving nothing other than holding the offense back. It's the equivalent of watching your midfield waste inside 50 after inside 50 targeting a so-so full-forward while guys stream through half-forward unmanned but never get a shot on goal.

Ignore how high Adams was drafted, he's simply not a No.2 receiver yet McCarthy keeps trying to make him that. His only breakout games have been when he's the No.3 or 4 receiver.

The icing on the cake was reading a comment this week on the Acme Packing Company site (well worth a look if you haven't visited btw). Guy said he was stuck in a Minnesota sports bar for the game, surrounded by Vikings fans. After the first quarter the whole bar started predicting the plays before they happened. For every three and out the bar would successfully chant: "Run! Run! Pass!".

If you want to read an absolutely spot-on diagnosis of what's wrong with our offense and with Rodgers... check this:

https://www.all22.com/team/green-bay-packers-struggling-offense-flawed-by-design

This is a ripper too:

https://theringer.com/something-is-wrong-with-aaron-rodgers-af70c87703a7#.wcjuy93m2

Time to accept the league has our current playbook worked out - it's time for McCarthy and co to shake up the play calling, rotate the receivers/backs, take the short yards to move the chains and stop being so damned stubborn!

We are just off to a slow start, it happens to good teams all the time. Look at the Pats a few years ago when they got smashed by KC on MNF and then went on to win the Superbowl.

Im not saying we will win the Superbowl, but its early still heaps of time to turn it around. we just need to get the O back in sync. and our Corners need some confidence back.

Its not College where 1 bad loss or 2 losses end the season for you.

Folks, been a long week after the Vikings game - it's not that we lost, it's the vanilla/predictable nature of our offense that is so concerning. And the more I hear and read from the coaches and Rodgers this week the more I wonder if they are in denial.

You know when you're watching your AFL team get rolled week after week (yeah, I'm a Demons fan) and during the week they all talk about sticking to the process/working harder etc etc but sitting in the stands it's obvious none of that will change anything - it's the gameplan that's flawed. That's what I see with the Pack.

The way we're constantly throwing to Adams is achieving nothing other than holding the offense back. It's the equivalent of watching your midfield waste inside 50 after inside 50 targeting a so-so full-forward while guys stream through half-forward unmanned but never get a shot on goal.

Ignore how high Adams was drafted, he's simply not a No.2 receiver yet McCarthy keeps trying to make him that. His only breakout games have been when he's the No.3 or 4 receiver.

The icing on the cake was reading a comment this week on the Acme Packing Company site (well worth a look if you haven't visited btw). Guy said he was stuck in a Minnesota sports bar for the game, surrounded by Vikings fans. After the first quarter the whole bar started predicting the plays before they happened. For every three and out the bar would successfully chant: "Run! Run! Pass!".

If you want to read an absolutely spot-on diagnosis of what's wrong with our offense and with Rodgers... check this:

https://www.all22.com/team/green-bay-packers-struggling-offense-flawed-by-design

This is a ripper too:

https://theringer.com/something-is-wrong-with-aaron-rodgers-af70c87703a7#.wcjuy93m2

Time to accept the league has our current playbook worked out - it's time for McCarthy and co to shake up the play calling, rotate the receivers/backs, take the short yards to move the chains and stop being so damned stubborn!

McCarthy is more Brad Scott than Alastair Clarkson though, he isn't innovative. We know how our offence rolls, it 1/10 run up the middle with Lacy, depending on yards gained we normally go into PA or curling routes.

Our offence has deteriorated since Finley had his spinal injury, he provided athleticism and diversity on offence, he could block and run routes, he could jump up and make plays, he was a beast. We miss a high quality TE, I don't think A-Rod has 100% confidence in RR despite his hail mary win last year.

I think our offence will click eventually, we desperately need more out of Lacy on 1st downs and MM needs to have faith in 3rd and shorts to let him trample over to move the chains.. What's the point of having a 260p power back if we don't use him in short downs?

On paper we have the deepest team in the league, most positions are accounted for, the biggest concern is our corners. Without Shields they are damn rubbish.

The Lions career day defense will get you back into some form quick smart.
;) Beautifully said... it should be above the door in the visitors' rooms at Ford Field!

Not fretting, just frustrated at watching us beat ourselves.

Losses along the way are part of the deal however this is more than a slow start on offense, it goes back to early last season when our offense shackled itself and became ultra-predictable. Rodgers' steady slide in production is a result of that.

As the last couple of posters have said there IS plenty of time to turn it around and we DO have plenty of resources but they are not being used effectively at the moment.

I reckon tige19 is spot-on with the comparison of Mike McCarthy to Brad Scott. Frustrating thing is he can be Clarkson-like but it's been a long time since that was the case.

Here's hoping last week's loss at Minnesota, and subsequent focus on the offense's slide, is the kick in the ass McCarthy, Rodgers and the offensive coaches need to change it up and get productive again.

Last edited:
Don't fret. The Lions career day defense will get you back into some form quick smart.

Yeah our CB are not playing good. We could give up 40 like the Colts did week 1.

im more worried about pass D then our O because Rodgers only needs to make a few great plays a game like jags. but D can cost us by sleeping on a few plays. or let someine kill us like Diggs did lastweek

By the way, if any of you ever need a midweek pick me up, I highly recommend this...

Your right that really did get a good giggle out of me. Some real horrid throws in there.

As you guys are discussing. Really worried about our offence, we saw last year we cant rely on 2 or 3 rodgers "highlight throws" a game. You watch other games and how its becoming easier and easier to throw for chunk yardage yet we look like we have to earn every single 5 yards. Let alone 15-20. Desperately need shields to cover the no1 wr. Have a few soft defenses coming up so if there is a tonic it has to happen now otherwise kiss the year goodbye

Your right that really did get a good giggle out of me. Some real horrid throws in there.

As you guys are discussing. Really worried about our offence, we saw last year we cant rely on 2 or 3 rodgers "highlight throws" a game. You watch other games and how its becoming easier and easier to throw for chunk yardage yet we look like we have to earn every single 5 yards. Let alone 15-20. Desperately need shields to cover the no1 wr. Have a few soft defenses coming up so if there is a tonic it has to happen now otherwise kiss the year goodbye

On offense our problem Lacey hasn't been getting the 1st down runs that we need to open up the PA, we are to predictable when we go in 3 and 4 wide out sets. Cobb isn't getting separation enough, jordy is still finding his feet and I don't see to much out of RR to suggest he is going to be a long term threat at TE, not at least in the air.

Our offense relies a lot on Lacey making solid ground on 1st downs, when he isn't doing that our offense becomes cramped and predictable. Our win against the Jags looks even more average after the weekend.

If we can't put 30+ on DTown I'll be surprised.

On offense our problem Lacey hasn't been getting the 1st down runs that we need to open up the PA, we are to predictable when we go in 3 and 4 wide out sets. Cobb isn't getting separation enough, jordy is still finding his feet and I don't see to much out of RR to suggest he is going to be a long term threat at TE, not at least in the air.

Our offense relies a lot on Lacey making solid ground on 1st downs, when he isn't doing that our offense becomes cramped and predictable. Our win against the Jags looks even more average after the weekend.

If we can't put 30+ on DTown I'll be surprised.

We have to mix something up, try open up the run by throwing high % on 1st. Also hoping jared cook can open up the middle a little more with more games. Dont think nelson will be the guy he was prior to the knee so if were hoping thats going to fix everything then we might be in trouble

Remove this Banner Ad

Back