Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
ESPN's Rob Demovsky reports GM Brian Gutekunst, and not coach Matt LaFleur, was the driving force behind the Packers' first-round selection of QB Jordan Love.

"GM picks player" wouldn't normally qualify as breaking news, but it's been a pervasive rumor/perception over the past week that LaFleur drove the Love selection to send a message to ever-cranky Aaron Rodgers. Demovsky points out that Gutekunst began scouting quarterbacks during the run up to last year's draft, and actually attended one of Love's games in person in 2019. The line has been getting blurrier many places, but the Packers have maintained a structure of strict front office control over the 53-man roster. While both the local and national consensus has been that Rodgers will be less than thrilled with Love's arrival, the quarterback himself has not made waves, either directly or via leak.

Source: ESPN

Apr 30, 2020, 10:20 PM ET

He has no idea that bloke lol

That was freaky. A thought entered my mind as I was considering the 9ers cornerback situation... 'I wonder if offtherails9 has responded to my question about Love'

So I check and I have a notification from 'a moment ago'

The freaky part about this post is that you believe you had a thought, which from past experience I believe to be an impossibility.

More than likely, it was just a fart.

not looking like a really good season anyway.
at New Orleans, at Tampa Bay, at San Francisco, at Houston, at Indianapolis
unless GB goes 8-0 at home, playoffs is a dream.
drafting the way we did may turn out to be a masterstroke.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Your home schedule is very favourable. The Texans is also a win and you'll sneak a road divisional win at least.

The Vikings had a better draft but they were also left with more holes to fill from free agency. Same as last year I think both teams are dead even, around the 9/10 win mark. Regression favours Minnesota but I reckon the way the schedule actually falls will determine it mostly. Each NFC division is throwing up at least 2 teams to contend for the playoffs this yr

not looking like a really good season anyway.
at New Orleans, at Tampa Bay, at San Francisco, at Houston, at Indianapolis
unless GB goes 8-0 at home, playoffs is a dream.
drafting the way we did may turn out to be a masterstroke.

If we took Queen and a WR, we'd be in a much better position to win those games...

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Trust the process. How come i have more faith and belief in GB than the fans? Whats more important....win a couple games extra this year or ensure you stay a 10+ winner for the next decade? WRs and LBs are a dime a dozen. They know Rodgers was about time to start thinking of a replacement, and Love , whonisba bonafide franchise qb, fell almost into their laps, they had to go get him.

271D18BE-E790-4E5F-A61A-8FE3B111BEE5.jpeg

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
The 4 day break to travel to the west coast is murder.
I didn't even notice that. Brutal, 49ers going to destroy us again.

Which again begs the question what in the * is the NFL doing with Thursday night games? I'm fine with them so long as they are only played by teams coming off a bye. It's a simple solution.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tough schedule as it was always going to be but I like it for the most part. Guess you'll take the early bye for the nice home schedule in December.

The first half is tough but I don't really see how the Vikings are getting any better at all, not too concerned with them personally.

I know there is much much more to it, but the only game in the first half of the season we don't have the better QB is maybe the Texans game. I'm confident that Rodgers is still the best QB out of Brees, Brady and him. May as well be optimistic in May.

Coastie19

Senior List
Apr 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rodgers needs to start embracing a run game to open up for more throws. AJ Dillon is 113 ******* kilos. He needs to wear the D by grinding.

Schedule isn't too bad imo.

I thought we were a little lucky to get 13 wins last year something just don't look right, then it really didn't look right against SF. I want us to feel like SF did while they were playing and confident we can win each week

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers said "the goal is to play into my 40s."
Rodgers answered a wide variety of questions in his first interview since the Packers drafted QB Jordan Love in the first round. When asked if he still thinks he'll finish his career with the Packers he said, "What it does is it reinforces the adage that you can only control what you can control ... That obviously is something that's very important to me." The Packers' long-time franchise QB added that his initial reaction to the decision to draft Jordan Love in the first round was, "Surprise, like many people. Not going to say I was thrilled by the pick necessarily but I understand the organization is thinking about the future and the present." Rodgers clearly didn't enter the session looking to stir up any controversy. It remains to be seen if he'll be able to return to All-Pro form without hardly any additional pass-game help.
SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter
May 15, 2020, 3:15 PM ET

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers said "the goal is to play into my 40s."
Rodgers answered a wide variety of questions in his first interview since the Packers drafted QB Jordan Love in the first round. When asked if he still thinks he'll finish his career with the Packers he said, "What it does is it reinforces the adage that you can only control what you can control ... That obviously is something that's very important to me." The Packers' long-time franchise QB added that his initial reaction to the decision to draft Jordan Love in the first round was, "Surprise, like many people. Not going to say I was thrilled by the pick necessarily but I understand the organization is thinking about the future and the present." Rodgers clearly didn't enter the session looking to stir up any controversy. It remains to be seen if he'll be able to return to All-Pro form without hardly any additional pass-game help.
SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter
May 15, 2020, 3:15 PM ET

I hear Florida, in particular Jacksonville, is a nice place to retire eventually. ;)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Athletic's Matt Schneidman wrote that Jordan Love "has yet to even provide a glimpse at why the Packers traded up to draft him in the first round."
Love was featured in the "Falling Stock" section of the Packers' training camp recap, largely because of his arm. Schneidman writes, "Nobody expected him to take the world by storm in his first nine practices, but every throw he makes seems like a touch pass and he’s had some accuracy issues early on." Love was a highly debated prospect coming out of Utah State for this exact reason. While he made unbelievable plays at times, Love had notable accuracy and interception issues on tape. The Packers likely have two seasons to groom Love with Aaron Rodgers' contract essentially preventing him from leaving before that, but it appears they have their work cut out with development. Love's raw tools are what made the Packers trade up for him in the later portion of the 2020 first round.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 26, 2020, 3:52 PM ET

The Athletic's Matt Schneidman wrote that Jordan Love "has yet to even provide a glimpse at why the Packers traded up to draft him in the first round."
Love was featured in the "Falling Stock" section of the Packers' training camp recap, largely because of his arm. Schneidman writes, "Nobody expected him to take the world by storm in his first nine practices, but every throw he makes seems like a touch pass and he’s had some accuracy issues early on." Love was a highly debated prospect coming out of Utah State for this exact reason. While he made unbelievable plays at times, Love had notable accuracy and interception issues on tape. The Packers likely have two seasons to groom Love with Aaron Rodgers' contract essentially preventing him from leaving before that, but it appears they have their work cut out with development. Love's raw tools are what made the Packers trade up for him in the later portion of the 2020 first round.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 26, 2020, 3:52 PM ET
Aaron was just as bad in his first 2 years.

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
53 man roster has been released. Only real surprise I'd say is the cutting of Light, makes us quite thin on the O-line.

Back