Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

Even worse is it's something that could've been easily avoided.

Really poor communication skills from people who should understand how important communication is.

Getting all of those 360,000 owners on the same page communication wise is a bit of a challenge.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wow, sir...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Packers' release of WR Jake Kumerow was the "death knell" in the team's relationship with Aaron Rodgers.
The organization's decision to cut Kumerow just 24 hours after Rodgers publically praised him was reportedly the last straw of a disagreement that begun bubbling the moment QB Jordan Love was drafted. The 37-year-old has a "5% chance" of returning as the team's starter next year, per ESPN's Rob Demovsky, and appears to already have one foot out the door — whether it's for Jeopardy or another team is to be determined. It's a storyline that needs to be monitored since any franchise would become an immediate threat for Super Bowl LVI the moment it lands him.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
May 3, 2021, 1:38 PM ET

As much as I want 12 to stay, can't give in and fire the GM (if that is actually true and what Rodgers wants). Would surely set a terrible precedent.

I agree, sucks, between a rock and a hard place.

You drafted Love to be the successor, for franchise harmony it might just be time to move on from Rodgers.

Timing is terrible just after the draft, but at least he's coming off an MVP season and not a flop. Should still get a nice package in return, few teams out there that would still be very interested imo besides the teams Rodgers named. No need to do him favours now and trade him to his preferred destinations.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
AJ Hawk on Pat McAfee show settled a lot of mistruths. 0% chance he retires, he isn't saying "it's me or Gutey" and the drafting of Jordan Love has nothing to do with his decision. It sounds like it has just been a number of things that have built up over the years.

Unfortunately I'm starting to come to the realisation he might be gone which will be a super hard pill to swallow because ultimately it means we go from super bowl contender to a 5-7 win team.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst said QB Jordan Love has "a long way to go" in his development.
Packers officials have made no secret of their desire to retain Aaron Rodgers for at least the next season instead of turning to Love, 22, who has yet to play an NFL snap. Drafting Love in the first round of the 2020 draft proved a gaping wound in the team's relationship with their mercurial quarterback -- one that has festered for a year. Rodgers reportedly wants out of Green Bay, with the Broncos exploring trade possibilities for the 37 year old. “He’s got a long way to go,” Gutekunst said of Love. “But we’re ecstatic for his development. ... Obviously we think the world of Jordan and where he’s going to grow and develop." Love could be forced into reps should Rodgers hold out of the team's offseason activities or training camp. Love threw 52 touchdowns in his final two seasons as Utah State, completing 61 percent of his throws. He has a rushing component to his game: Love rushed 81 times (for a meager 175 yards) in his final collegiate season. Love displayed decent athleticism at the 2020 NFL Combine. He had a 76th percentile 40 yard dash and an 88th percentile burst score (along with a 37th percentile throw velocity). At best, Love would be a desperation late-round option in superflex and 2-QB fantasy formats if Rodgers were to depart Green Bay.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 10, 2021, 10:23 AM ET

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Kevin Kolb
giphy.gif

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Appearing on SportsCenter Monday evening, Aaron Rodgers said his reported desire to leave the Packers is not about 2020 first-rounder Jordan Love or the coaching staff.
Although he all but confirmed it, Rodgers did not officially confirm that he has requested a trade. “It’s never been about the draft pick, picking Jordan," Rodgers insisted. "I love Jordan; he’s a great kid. I love the coaching staff. I love my teammates. I love the fan base in Green Bay. It’s just about a philosophy and maybe forgetting it is about the people that make things go." Rodgers also said "anything is on the table at this point," and acknowledges his 2020 success changed things. "A lot of this was put in motion last year and the wrench was just kind of thrown into it when I won MVP and played the way I played last year." Rodgers has never been known as the easiest player to get along with, but there are growing reports that the same is true of Packers GM Brian Gutekunst. Rodgers' reality is that he still doesn't hold much leverage aside from holding out of regular season games, but it's possible he is ready to do whatever it takes. For as bad as the situation appears, there is still a real chance Rodgers ends up still playing for the only team he has ever known in 2021.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
May 24, 2021, 11:46 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle

Murphy: Rodgers Saga Dividing Fan Base

"We remain committed to resolving things with Aaron and want him to be our quarterback in 2021 and beyond."
BILL HUBER5 HOURS AGO

GREEN BAY, Wis. – The impasse with MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers “has divided our fan base,” Green Bay Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy said in his monthly Murphy Takes Five column at Packers.com.

Told by a reader named Ken to not “let the bastards drag you down,” Murphy responded:
The situation we face with Aaron Rodgers has divided our fan base. The emails and letters that I've received reflect this fact. As I wrote here last month, we remain committed to resolving things with Aaron and want him to be our quarterback in 2021 and beyond. We are working to resolve the situation and realize that the less both sides say publicly, the better.
The last line was an interesting one from Murphy, considering Ken didn’t ask specifically about Rodgers and Murphy could have chosen any number of questions to answer but decided to comment on Rodgers.

However, it is noteworthy that, after a draft weekend filled with juicy leaks, there has been relative calm to provide some optimism that the relationship can be salvaged.
After skipping the first two weeks of the voluntary organized team activities, the Packers will hold their mandatory minicamp on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Will Rodgers show up?

“I don’t know. We’ll see come Tuesday,” coach Matt LaFleur said this week.

RELATED: ABOUT JORDAN LOVE'S FREQUENT CHECKDOWNS

If the Packers can’t fix their relationship with Rodgers, last year’s first-round pick, Jordan Love, could be the starting quarterback in 2021. Asked how Love is progressing, Murphy noted the obstacles Love faced being a rookie during a pandemic.

It was a shame for Jordan that the pandemic impacted so much of his rookie year. Although it wasn't a completely wasted year, he had no in-person practices in the offseason program and no preseason game experience. Although it is hard to tell a lot in the offseason practices, both Matt LaFleur and offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett have said they like what they've seen from Jordan this offseason. Hackett said that the biggest difference this year is his confidence in the system, and that his decision-making, timing and accuracy have all improved. It's obviously helped him to get reps with the first-team offense this offseason. The preseason games this year will be crucial in his development.
Also, Murphy fielded a comment about Julio Jones, spoke hopefully of having games at Lambeau Field played at 100 percent capacity and about the return of the alternate third jersey

Back