Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

I'll pass this off as just a poor game. Lets see how they respond next week.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
That was pretty yuck. Ultimately I think we’ll be fine, Payton simply outcoached LaFleur and the Saints D is legitimately good. Only positive I can find is Jaire is still crazy good but until we find a 2nd CB one half of the field is always going to be a problem.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jermichael Finley: Packers should be prepared to switch to Jordan Love by Week Four

Posted by Mike Florio on September 18, 2021, 10:50 AM EDT

It’s way too early for the Packers to panic. Former Packers tight end Jermichael Finley believes that panic could soon be justified.

Finley has been candid in the aftermath of Green Bay’s embarrassing performance against the Saints regarding quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Previously, Finley said that Rodgers “looks tired,” and that it appears he has lost his “hunger” to play. Now, Finley says the Packers should be ready to pivot to Plan B, if/when it appears that Rodgers has lost it.
“If you don’t see it, let’s go to [Jordan] Love,” Finley said.

Finley said that Rodgers should get four weeks to show that he still has it. If he doesn’t, then go with Love.
“You’ve got one of the highest-paid backup quarterbacks sitting right behind Aaron Rodgers, so you might as well utilize him and get him going for the future,” Finley said.

This presumes a lot. There’s no reason to think the Packers won’t turn things around on Monday night, when their intra-division punching bags known as the Detroit Lions return to town.

Now, if the Packers look in two days the way they looked six days ago, Finley may be onto something. The chances of that happening, however, seem very slim.

That said, the Packers follow their non-bye bye against the Lions with a trip to California to face the 49ers and a visit from the Steelers. At this point, a 1-3 start for a team with consecutive 13-3 seasons isn’t out of the question.

Coastie19

Senior List
Apr 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jermichael Finley: Packers should be prepared to switch to Jordan Love by Week Four

Posted by Mike Florio on September 18, 2021, 10:50 AM EDT

It’s way too early for the Packers to panic. Former Packers tight end Jermichael Finley believes that panic could soon be justified.

Finley has been candid in the aftermath of Green Bay’s embarrassing performance against the Saints regarding quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Previously, Finley said that Rodgers “looks tired,” and that it appears he has lost his “hunger” to play. Now, Finley says the Packers should be ready to pivot to Plan B, if/when it appears that Rodgers has lost it.
“If you don’t see it, let’s go to [Jordan] Love,” Finley said.

Finley said that Rodgers should get four weeks to show that he still has it. If he doesn’t, then go with Love.
“You’ve got one of the highest-paid backup quarterbacks sitting right behind Aaron Rodgers, so you might as well utilize him and get him going for the future,” Finley said.

This presumes a lot. There’s no reason to think the Packers won’t turn things around on Monday night, when their intra-division punching bags known as the Detroit Lions return to town.

Now, if the Packers look in two days the way they looked six days ago, Finley may be onto something. The chances of that happening, however, seem very slim.

That said, the Packers follow their non-bye bye against the Lions with a trip to California to face the 49ers and a visit from the Steelers. At this point, a 1-3 start for a team with consecutive 13-3 seasons isn’t out of the question.
Losing to Goff and the Lions on Tuesday wouldn't be pretty

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Didnt realize that Joe Barry was asst HC on the Rams for four years that Goff was there. Was a bit of a battle going on there, knowing Goffs strengths and weaknesses. Took LaFleur tho to point Barry to the right strategy.

Seeing what Winston and Goff did tonight, gotta be concerned in October when the Packers have a three gane stretch against Murray, R.Wilson, and Mahomes.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Aaron Jones lost pendant with father’s ashes after one of his touchdowns

Posted by Josh Alper on September 21, 2021, 6:24 AM EDT

Throughout his career, Packers running back Aaron Jones would usually find his father in the Lambeau Field stands after emerging from the locker room at home games but things were different on Monday night.

Alvin Jones Jr. died in April of complications from COVID-19 and his son took the field against the Lions wearing a necklace with a pendant filled with his father’s ashes. Jones went on to have a memorable night.

Jones caught three touchdowns and ran for another in the 35-17 Packers win, but the pendant didn’t make it through the end of the night. Jones believes it came off during his second touchdown and no one was not able to find it by the time he spoke to the media after the game. Jones thinks his father would have appreciated winding up in the end zone.

“If there was any place to lose it, that’s where my dad would’ve wanted me to lose it,” Jones said, via the team’s website. “So, I know he’s smiling.”

Jones thinks his father would have also appreciated the way the Packers bounced back from their 38-3 loss in Week One because he taught his son “how you respond is what makes a man.” Thanks in large part to Jones, the Packers came up with the right response on Monday night.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's a good observation....

Does Green Bay Packers, Inc. try hard enough to win Super Bowls?

Posted by Mike Florio on September 21, 2021, 1:29 PM EDT

As Simms and I put in perspective during Tuesday’s PFT Live the Packers’ expected victory over the Lions, we strayed into the question of whether Aaron Rodgers has a legitimate beef with the organization.

We both think he does.

And here’s the potential core of the problem. It’s something I’ve mentioned before, and it’s probably something I’ll mention again. The corporate ownership structure of the team prevents it from having the kind of single-minded obsession that teams with traditional owners have, when it comes to winning championships.

While there’s definitely a benefit to not having a dysfunctional, meddling owner, the Packers operate at a clear disadvantage when it comes to the absence of a multi-billionaire who wants his football team to be better than the football teams owned by the other multi-billionaires. Whether it’s Jerry Jones or Robert Kraft or any other owner, that urgency to win, to win it all, to do it now simply doesn’t exist in Green Bay.

Look at what the Chiefs did after they lost the Super Bowl. They identified their biggest weaknesses, and they addressed them aggressively. What did the Packers do? For the most part, what they always do. Draft and develop. Draft and develop. Draft and develop.

It serves them well. They’re always competitive. But it helps to have had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers in an unbroken chain that dates back to 1992. For more than 20 years before that, they didn’t have a Hall of Fame quarterback — and they weren’t good.

Rodgers, as Simms always says, makes up for a lot of deficiencies on the roster with his stellar play. What have the Packers ever done to enhance a Hall of Fame quarterback with established veteran talent from other teams?

Rodgers recently told the story of the late Ted Thompson calling Aaron personally in 2007 to address rumors of the team trading for Randy Moss, and to explain that the rumors were unfounded. Maybe they shouldn’t have been unfounded. Moss went to the Patriots that year for a fourth-round pick and had one of the best seasons of any receiver in league history.

It’s not the Green Bay way. Possibly because Green Bay doesn’t have that swashbuckling billionaire who is willing to pull the trigger on bold moves in free agency.

As 49ers CEO Jed York once said, you can’t fire the owner. In Green Bay, anyone and everyone can be fired. Thus, no one will be inclined to stake his or her job on a boom-or-bust move, for fear of that bold move going bust.

Thus, the Packers continue to slow-and-steady their way to consistent contention, loitering on the porch but never kicking in the front door. With 31 other teams all held by individual owners, the league always will have a team or two (or more) that has decided to lunge for the brass ring — even if that means falling off the horse, face first.

For Rodgers to cap his career with a Super Bowl or two, maybe he needs to play for a team with an owner who can and will go all in. The Packers, given the absence of that kind of presence in the organization, never do.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Aaron Jones recovered pendant with father’s ashes

Posted by Myles Simmons on September 21, 2021, 11:53 AM EDT

There’s good news out of Green Bay for running back Aaron Jones.

The running back has recovered the lost necklace that had a pendant filled with his father’s ashes. One of the Packers’ trainers found it well after the game had ended.

“[He] found it, so we’re perfect,” Jones told 97.3 The Game, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN. “Thank you to him. He was out there until 1:45 [a.m. CT]. It shows how much they care about us.”

Jones had a memorable night for his first game at Lambeau Field following his father’s death due to complications from COVID-19 in April. He accounted for 115 yards from scrimmage and four touchdowns — three receiving, one rushing — in Green Bay’s 35-17 victory.

Jones had said following the game on Monday night that he believed the necklace had come off during his second touchdown. Now, he has it back after a fitting tribute to his father

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Davante Adams watched Lamar Jackson highlights for tips on making people miss

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 23, 2021, 5:16 AM EDT

A wide receiver usually wouldn’t learn much from a quarterback about how to run after the catch, but Packers wide receiver Davante Adams says he benefited from watching the way Lamar Jackson moves with the ball in his hands.

Adams said his 121-yard game on Monday night was inspired in part from watching Jackson’s outstanding game on Sunday night. Adams said he watched Jackson closely and was thinking about how he could incorporate some of the things Jackson does to help him improve in gaining yards after the catch.

“I think I led the league or was second in YAC last year, so that was something I wanted to continue to improve upon,” Adams said. “I watched probably 25 minutes worth of Lamar Jackson highlights before the game. That’s not a joke, either. I’m being dead serious. I really did.”

Adams said he looks at the way Jackson avoids tacklers and tries to do some of the same things.

“If he can do that I should be able to do half of what he’s doing out there as far as making people miss,” Adams said.

He’s a quarterback, but Jackson is one of the best runners in the league, and Adams is wise to learn from him

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Aaron Jones lost pendant with father’s ashes after one of his touchdowns

Posted by Josh Alper on September 21, 2021, 6:24 AM EDT

Throughout his career, Packers running back Aaron Jones would usually find his father in the Lambeau Field stands after emerging from the locker room at home games but things were different on Monday night.

Alvin Jones Jr. died in April of complications from COVID-19 and his son took the field against the Lions wearing a necklace with a pendant filled with his father’s ashes. Jones went on to have a memorable night.

Jones caught three touchdowns and ran for another in the 35-17 Packers win, but the pendant didn’t make it through the end of the night. Jones believes it came off during his second touchdown and no one was not able to find it by the time he spoke to the media after the game. Jones thinks his father would have appreciated winding up in the end zone.

“If there was any place to lose it, that’s where my dad would’ve wanted me to lose it,” Jones said, via the team’s website. “So, I know he’s smiling.”

Jones thinks his father would have also appreciated the way the Packers bounced back from their 38-3 loss in Week One because he taught his son “how you respond is what makes a man.” Thanks in large part to Jones, the Packers came up with the right response on Monday night.

It always seems so ridiculous to me that players wear necklaces and diamond earrings when playing.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
It always seems so ridiculous to me that players wear necklaces and diamond earrings when playing.
I know, hey. Even not playing sport, i cant stand having any ornaments on me....rings, watches, bracelets, necklaces, piercings, whatever. Let alone to play sport with them on. And then they worry about losing it on the field.

Florio is a ******* w***er. Probably even more so than Skip Clueless, which is a herculean feat to be fair.

He has his moments where he is legendary also. He just hates to admit when he got something wrong, very stubborn.

Good game today... Thought after the first couple of drives Aaron was going to get killed by Bosa, but adjustments made kept him pretty safe for the rest of the game. Decent performance by the coaching crew also.

Refs tried to steal it though, fair enough we had a call, MAYBE two go our way, but those 2nd half calls were fn diabolical. Nowhere near as bad as the ones that went our way.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Our best win under Matt LaFleur imo. Missing two of our top 8 or so players. We're never any good in the warmer states. Pretty proud. Haven't gone off like that watching a game for a long time.

Our best win under Matt LaFleur imo. Missing two of our top 8 or so players. We're never any good in the warmer states. Pretty proud. Haven't gone off like that watching a game for a long time.

The more I think about it though, the better it is. I had this game marked down as a loss, even at this time yesterday, and fair enough Niners had some player missing also... but Nijman/Runyan/Myers/Newman have maybe 10 NFL starts between them, all 1st/2nd/3rd year players. Coming up against an EXCELLENT defensive front in SF. Not only protected our lord and saviour, but opened up holes for Jones also. Great effort by those guys all night. Billy Turner has been pretty good this season so far also...

One thing I would've liked to have seen, is running Dillon a bit more early, try to wear down their strength a bit more. Jones runs bigger than he is, but Dillon is a pounder in the truer sense.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep. Spot on fuey, there was every excuse in the book to lose, the short week too!

I would love to see more of Dillon too but Jones is so damn dynamic.

De'Vondre Campbell has really impressed me the past two weeks too. Probably should've had pick 2 for the season last night.

The refereeing was really strange last night though. I haven't seen it so bad in a long time. Some of those calls were just absolutely disgraceful.

Back