Green v Jones Jnr

Strike Swiftly

Premiership Player
Mar 15, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Its coming baby!!!!!! Gonna be a ripper battle. Wonder where it will be held?

Danny Green wins third title

Article from:
Adrian WarrenAugust 17, 2009 12:00am
DANNY Green is excited, not daunted, at the thought of fighting legendary US boxer Roy Jones Jr, after punching his way into the history books in Mississippi.
The Sydney-based West Australian won the vacant IBO cruiserweight world title with an impressive fifth-round stoppage of Argentinian Julio Cesar Dominguez.
A November match-up in Australia between Green and multi-world title winner Jones became a reality after the American stopped compatriot Jeff Lacy in 10 rounds in the other major bout at Biloxi.............

likka

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Mar 12, 2004
Rehab
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hope Green is getting well paid for this fight, cos he is going to get the absolute piss smacked out of him.

Jones far too quick, talented and classy.

drew_j

Premiership Player
Mar 22, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fedor Emelianenko
Not that big a boxing fan. While I enjoy the sport my interest is passing, but surely even if Green will get mauled by Jones the fact he gets the opportunity to fight a great is fantastic!

Port81

All Australian
Feb 25, 2008
Taperoo
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Will be close, Dannys a good fighter, 5 years ago different story Jones would have stopped him within 5 rounds but is now on the wrong side of 35. Danny chopped Cesar down and will do the same to jones I think, wear him down with body blows then drop him in the 5th or 6th. Huge fight for Australia with an even bigger purse win or lose, cant wait for this one.

Furn

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will this really go ahead in Aus ? Jones has never fought outside the US. But he seemed like he was serious after the fight.

Apparently it is between Sydney,Melbourne and Perth to host the fight. Hope it Melb although will be worth travelling for a chance to see an absolute legend in action.

Strike Swiftly

Premiership Player
Mar 15, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
I'll definately be there no matter which state it'll be held. RJJ is not the fighter he used to be and Green is a warrior when cornered. Will be a good battle.

Feb 12, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Swan Districts
Green can fight a complete different fight to what Lacy did. Green will have a reach and power advantage, so he won't have to make the running. Green can sit on the outside and jab until Jones has to close the distance to stop himself from being picked off with jabs.

I don't think Danny will mind a stand up fight and trade blows with Jones. While Jones work on the inside will be better and more precise, Danny's power has the nack of wearing opponents down quickly.

What Danny can't do is let Jones come into jab without putting the pressure on and picking up his punch rate. That's when Jones will carve him to bits and make him look 2nd rate.
Just like against Mundine, where Mundine was far quicker with his hands, Danny can't allow Jones to step into the kill zone and only respond with a jab or 2. Danny has to get real busy and aggressive when Jones takes that half step closer to move himself into jab range. Otherwise, Danny will be out worked and will lose a points decision.

It's going to be a fight of contrasting styles. You would think Danny will have learnt a lot from Jones' bout with Lacy. Danny won't be as arrogant or as stupid as Lacy to think he can win against a champ by just clinching and banging away, and only relying on power.

If Danny is as composed, sharp and methodical against Jones as he was against Domingez, then he'll have a decent chance.

bman

Debutant
Nov 28, 2007
south side
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
LA LAKERS
I think people have to understand that dominguez is a bum. But even so he was able to still get a few good hits on danny, imagine what jones jnr is going to do to the poor man. My prediction is an emphatic decision for jones jnr ,green will take a severe beating but will last 12 rounds because he has a hard head and jones has lost a bit of power.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
In his prime RJJ would demolish Green. But now, although both are getting on, it probably won't be as one sided. Probably a points decision to RJJ.

likka

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Mar 12, 2004
Rehab
AFL Club
Collingwood
RJJ still has the hand speed, evasive skills and footwork to make Green look like fool. If Mundine can cut him to ribbons then RJJ turn Green into confetti.

J-Train

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
I know as an Aussie I should barrack for Green, but I just love Roy Jones Jnr, especially his early work. Getting on a bit now, but man, he was/is just a gun. Such a showman.

The knockdown at 2.46 in this vid when he unloads and just stands there posing...then chicken struts back into the neutral corner. LOL. Poetry.

[youtube]UDWnMXzgeZo[/youtube]

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
RJJ still has the hand speed, evasive skills and footwork to make Green look like fool. If Mundine can cut him to ribbons then RJJ turn Green into confetti.
I've probably been fooled by seeing RJJ lose to Calzaghe. Ridiculous really when I think of the difference between Green and Calzaghe.

Strike Swiftly

Premiership Player
Mar 15, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Danny Green and Roy Jones Jnr likely to fight indoors

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25952098-11088,00.html

POTENTIAL weather worries are likely to result in an indoor arena for the blockbuster bout between Danny Green and American superstar Roy Jones Jnr.

Australia's Green returned to Sydney on Wednesday, carrying with him the IBO cruiserweight title belt he won against Mexican Julio Cesar Dominguez in Mississippi last weekend.

He's scheduled to make his first defence in Sydney in November against the legendary 40-year-old Jones, who scored an equally impressive tenth round stoppage of former super middleweight world champion Jeff Lacy in the light heavyweight bout on the same card in Biloxi.

Green touched down just a few hours after it was announced his 2000 Olympic teammate Michael Katsidis will fight American Vicente Escobedo on the undercard of the big Floyd Mayweather-Juan
Manuel Marquez clash in Las Vegas on September 19.

Katsidis will have the chance to regain the WBO interim lightweight title he lost last year.

The promotion at the MGM Grand is arguably the biggest in the world this year, while the Green-Jones promotion looms as the highlight of the Australian boxing calendar.

Green and his management confirmed the bout was heading to Sydney.

An avid Parramatta Eels rugby league supporter, Green suggested his clash with Jones might take place at Parramatta Stadium, which hosted one of Kostya Tszyu's world title fights.

Green fought outdoors against Anthony Mundine at the Sydney Football Stadium in 2006, which attracted around 30,000 spectators, but Green Machine Boxing (GMB) director Justin Manolikos suggested the Jones bout would go ahead indoors.

"Boxing is not a thing you can have the next day, so I would just rather take that risk out and know that it's indoors and maybe have a slightly smaller crowd than what we could've got (outdoors)," Manolikos told AAP on Wednesday.

"It's just peace of mind for everyone, not only me as promoter, but also the fighters."

The date for the promotion will depend on television requirements and venue availability .

Manolikos said GMB were looking at Sydney's two biggest indoor venues, the 11,500 seat Sydney Entertainment Centre and 21,000 seat ACER Arena.

Green admitted to being mesmerised while watching Jones outclass Lacy.

"He was talking to me during the fight and he was looking at me and he asked me at one stage
`Did you like that, did you like that?'" Green said.

"But he hasn't been hit by me yet and I am definitely not overawed."

Impressive in his second fight after coming out of retirement, 36-year-old Green attributed his success to a quartet of R's - relaxation, recovery, recuperation and remedies.

Manolikos said a number of American fighters on the Biloxi undercard, including lightweight Jason Litzau and cruiserweight BJ Flores, had already expressed an interest in appearing on the Green-Jones undercard.

"What I was just thinking is do we try and make it an Australia versus America thing," Manolikos said.

He was adamant Green's bout with Jones would easily attract greater worldwide interest than his much-hyped bout with Mundine.

"Green-Mundine was massive on an Australian stage, but on a world stage - with respect to the boys - it went a little bit unnoticed, no one really cared," Manolikos said.

"This is easily going to surpass that."

Manolikos said the only potential obstacle to a Green-Jones bout might come if the American superstar was offered a fight against one of the two Klitschko brothers, Wladimir or Vitali, who hold three of the heavyweight world titles between them.

Strike Swiftly

Premiership Player
Mar 15, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Sydney confirmed Roy Jones-Danny Green fight in November
By Christian Nicolussi
August 17, 2009
Sydney has been confirmed as the host city for Danny Green's bout with legendary American Roy Jones Jr.
The world cruiserweight title fight is expected to be held on the last weekend of November, with the venue still to be confirmed.
More than 5000 fans from interstate and overseas - many from Green's home state of Western Australian to support the 36-year-old - are expected to attend.
NSW Premier Nathan Rees, in announcing the event, said a number of “pre-fight build-up'' events were planned, including appearances by both boxers and public sparring sessions.
“This will be the biggest fight ever staged in Australia and it will be beamed to all points of the globe,'' he said in a statement.
Jones Jr is widely regarded as one of the greatest pound-for-pound fighters of all time, and has never competed professionally outside of the United States.
Green has won three world titles in separate divisions, the most recent on Sunday when he defeated Argentine Julio Cesar Dominguez in Mississippi for the vacant IBO cruiserweight title.
This means he has emulated the achievement of his former trainer Jeff Fenech, the only other Australian to win title belts in three divisions.
Green will put his new belt on the line when he goes head to head with Jones Jr in Sydney.

http://www.dannygreen.com.au/news.php?news=greenjonesinsydney

Strike Swiftly

Premiership Player
Mar 15, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
tickets on sale tomorrow - fight december 2 at acer arena.

Diamond Ringside: $1,000
Platinum Ringside: $750
Gold Ringside: $500
Silver Ringside: $300
Premium Reserve $195
A Reserve: $155
B Reserve: $125
C Reserve: $110
D Reserve: $79
E Reserve: $55

hellfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 21, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona
Will be closer than most are expecting, but I think Jones should edge it. Prime for prime? Jones stoppage within 4 rounds. His workrate is terrible these days, but he still has a massive "class" advantage.

Mar 25, 2008
Victoria's Secret HQ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
tickets on sale tomorrow - fight december 2 at acer arena.

Diamond Ringside: $1,000
Platinum Ringside: $750
Gold Ringside: $500
Silver Ringside: $300
Premium Reserve $195
A Reserve: $155
B Reserve: $125
C Reserve: $110
D Reserve: $79
E Reserve: $55

Is E Reserve a 36 cm B+W TV with rabbits ears on top of the urinal in the mens toilets at the Acer Arena:confused:

I can't see Green winning. If he couldn't beat Mundine then he won't beat Jones Jr. I can't see Green getting a good shot on RJJ, too quick, too classy, too evasive. Even if it went the rounds Green would be lucky to have landed anything. I like the bloke though so I hope I am wrong.:thumbsu:

Can someone post the undercard as well when it comes online? Cheers

Furn

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Got A reserve seats in the 6th row in the stands on side. Just hope theres no injuries or a postponement or im screwed:D. Booked flights and hotel on no refund specials.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I dont think Green is any chance at all. Like another poster said, I re watched the Calzaghe Jones fight from last year, and whilst Calzaghe was clear dominant winner of that fight, I simply dont think Danny Green is in the same class.

I think RJJ by stoppage in the 8th round :)

Back