Greenock Football & Netball Club reforming

Remove this Banner Ad

They are surrounded at close proximity to BLGFA clubs to each point of the compass. Would be huge if they were able to re-form. Would they play NEFL or BLGFA?

BLGFA aren't against them joining but they have a strict criteria such as being able to have the numbers to field all four grades of football and most netball teams. NEFL is too far up the road.

Greenock, if successful wouldn't have too hard a time getting players. It's only 5-10mins from Gawler, Roseworthy isn't that far either. They're getting plenty of support and my mate who's on the committee is confident they'll have a decent idea on numbers in the coming months.

If the BLGFA don't want them back, the SAAFL have said they are more than welcome to apply.

I can only think of Albany Sharks (Great Southern FL - WA, 2012) and Strathfieldsaye (Bendigo FL, 2009) joining senior competitions as new clubs in the last 10 years.
Ah yes! Forgot about the Albany Sharks. There was talk in the HFL (SA) a while back of a new Littlehampton/Cornerstone College OS club starting up but that never got off the ground.

I feel like having those bigger towns surrounding them would actually help as at least there's probably the player numbers in the area to make it happen.
Would have to be the first new footy club (not a merger) to start up in a country area for a long time surely?
Or at least be reformed after merging of folding.

I reckon it won't be long and we'll see a Port Hughes or Moonta Bay team started up....

Ah yes! Forgot about the Albany Sharks. There was talk in the HFL (SA) a while back of a new Littlehampton/Cornerstone College OS club starting up but that never got off the ground.
I'm very surprised a second Mount Barker club isn't on the cards, or at least Littlehampton. They'd get the numbers I reckon.

I'm very surprised a second Mount Barker club isn't on the cards, or at least Littlehampton. They'd get the numbers I reckon.
You would think so with the size of the population but so many people in Mt Barker already play for clubs in towns surrounding them like Hahndorf, Narine, Echunga, Macclesfield etc so Mt Barker isn't really a one team town. I think it might happen one day but I think the HFL would rather focus on regaining junior player numbers than starting a new club.

Well they have 10 teams in Division and 9 in the other... Would remove the bye.

I'm waiting to hear back from my mate regarding Greenock. It's looking promising at the moment
I honestly think most people involved in country footy prefer the bye. Gives all those people who are trainers, volunteers etc a couple of weeks off during the season. That's just from what I've heard people say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and no, I know some leagues would like to get rid of their byes, but in some cases that would involved reducing the number of teams as opposed to increasing them. In Greenocks case, they have that in their favour - they (the BLGFA) would prefer not to have a bye.

Yeah that's true. Probably also depends on the amount of travel involved in the league, BLGFA has relatively low distances to travel whereas the league I'm involved in WA my club 4 of the 7 away trips are more than 100km and two of those are 170+km and they really struggle for volunteers when they cop back to back away games especially first thing in the morning for colts games.
But yeah I think eliminating the bye in BLGFA is probably a good thing, I do remember they are pretty strict with their entry requirements as Birdwood tried to join a while back and were rejected and they had the full compliment of teams so I don't know what the deal was there.

I have a mate at Birdwood - I'll ask them. Maybe the travel distance seeing as they are outside of the Barossa.

I know Greenock are looking at all the football teams (As, Bs, Colts). Apparently the BLGFA are strict on the Netball more than anything else.

I have a mate at Birdwood - I'll ask them. Maybe the travel distance seeing as they are outside of the Barossa.

I know Greenock are looking at all the football teams (As, Bs, Colts). Apparently the BLGFA are strict on the Netball more than anything else.
Ah ok then.
Yeah not 100% sure if Birdwood formally applied or just inquired but remember hearing something about them being knocked back.

This is very true. They are super strict on the number of teams required.

Netball is a massive problem in the Barossa. Even big towns like Tanunda are struggling to fill numbers.

All the girls want to play AFL now.

Update: (just posted by the Greenock FC Facebook page)

"Hello everyone
Well things are moving fast
We have been flagged to play in a close by league 😀
We are looking for a few people to join our commitee team
Currently we have 7 but looking at atleast to fill 10.
We are looking at football/Netball and junior colts 😀
Even so a ladies footy side 😀
More the merrier so if ya keen please pm us
We would love to hear from you
Cheers 😀"

Update to the above, Greenock are looking at the Adelaide Plains League
Interesting. Wonder if they're doing that because it'll be easier to get in to the APFL and then once the club is more established with the full set of teams move to the BLGFA.

Interesting. Wonder if they're doing that because it'll be easier to get in to the APFL and then once the club is more established with the full set of teams move to the BLGFA.

I reckon that'll be the go. APFL are less restrictive.

It'll put the APFL up to 9 teams for the first time since god knows if they've ever even had that many teams.

SAVE THE DATE: Sunday May 26 at Greenock Oval.

Greenock Football and Netball Club Interest Day. Kicking off at 11am until approximately 3pm.

We will have an update at 12pm with where the club is at and intentions for the coming years.

On the day everyone can express their interest in playing or coaching or other volunteer roles.

Spread the word and bring everyone you think would be keen on bringing back football and netball to the great town of Greenock!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back