Fat Red

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2001
Carlton
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
The Greens have been the success story of this election IMHO, stealing a march on the Democrats in gaining the vote of those disaffected by the major parties stance on asylum seekers.

Why do people think they got those votes rather than the Democrats?

I think the greens did well Fat Red for a number of reasons;

1: Their humanitarian stance on the asylum seekers issue attracted a lot of disaffected labor left voters who were disgusted with Labor's stance on the issue.
2: The Democrats are seen these days as almost an arm of the labor party. Whilst the democrats lost very little votes, they gained nothing largely due to their preference deal with Labor.

Bottom line I think the Greens are now staking out the left of politics, once dominated by the labor party.

Bob Brown I think is also a fine leader, a politician of rare courage and dignity.

I think that in an attempt to broaden their appeal they should change their name perhaps? Whilst they will obviously always be "green" in their approach, their policies are starting to broaden with experience. For example, they took a strong stand on corporate tax rates, not green as such but a sensible policy.

I didn't vote for them this time but I will certainly be keeping a closer eye on them with a view to voting for them in the future.

I am one of the ex-ALP voters that voted for the Greens.

The reason I didnt vote for The Democrats was simple-the GST.
Meg Lees can deny it all she wants but that was the main reason my vote went to the Greens.
They were also the only party that stood against the border protection bill.

Originally posted by Pessimistic
How about a coalition of labour, greens and democrats ?

(Clutching at straws)

The ALP definately need something, and I think this is an option definately. The ALP need to attack the Nationals as well. Without the Nats the Libs wouldn't win any election. The Country Labour Party needs to become a viable option for rural voters for the ALP to make any significant gains.

The only problem is how many voters will jump ship if they unite...alternatively, they may also pick up voters who would want to vote Dems/Greens but don't because they currently have no real way of gaining any power.

The ALP also need to get a direction and stick to it. Beazley was trying to win voter without having policies, and I think most people saw through this....

To my mind the ALP needs to get to it's roots. That is representing working people (even if they earn 70,000 plus) in these 'uncertain times'.

Originally posted by Pessimistic
To my mind the ALP needs to get to it's roots. That is representing working people (even if they earn 70,000 plus) in these 'uncertain times'.

They need to establish policies that are sensible to both their roots AND to middle Australia. They should not try and be the Liberal Party (as the Libs have had a lot more practice at this) although they really do need to get as good at economic management. They need to establish a point of difference that provides people with a real alternative to vote for.

I would have had the Greens number one on my ballot card - you gotta love their education policy! ;)

The Hitman

Reason? all of the above.

Plus people no matter how cynical, are searching for someone who stands for something.
IMHO Labor used to set the poliical agenda with it's policy debates & the Libs would react to it. Now as I've said I see little diff between the two parties in their race to see who can sell everything off the fastest.

Maybe people were comfortable in using their vote as a prostest, safe in the knowledge that the greens would have a snowflakes chance in hell of getting in!

Like localyokel said, the Demos really lost out on Meg Lees decision to support John Howard over the GST. I read in the paper today that if Natasha gets the boot, the leadership will be between Aiden and Meg Lees who wants to make a comeback! :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back