Toast Greenwood and Keath

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just want to take a quick moment to appreciate the fact that the club has two gems going out to play Melbourne this weekend in Greenwood and Keath. One is a beast inside and a skilled forward when needed, the other a clean, agile and skillful key defender who adds to our ball movement.

If our outstanding recruiting team werent able to orchestrate these two steals (remembering they were free and both elite juniors) we would instead be playing Otten and Poholke who with due respect, are sanfl standard players this season. Great work Adelaide.

Can these guys get to 100 games each?

Greenwood is well on the way to 100 games, seeing he's what 26 and on 32 games. Providing he stays fit and round his game out, you'd kinda expect him to make it.

Keath is a much more questionable prospect seeing he's yet to truly establish himself as a best 22 player. May not make it yet, but even if he doesn't, it's still a tick to Ogilive and co to manage to get a cat B. to play games.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just want to take a quick moment to appreciate the fact that the club has two gems going out to play Melbourne this weekend in Greenwood and Keath. One is a beast inside and a skilled forward when needed, the other a clean, agile and skillful key defender who adds to our ball movement.

If our outstanding recruiting team werent able to orchestrate these two steals (remembering they were free and both elite juniors) we would instead be playing Otten and Poholke who with due respect, are sanfl standard players this season. Great work Adelaide.

Can these guys get to 100 games each?
Poholke is still young, he does good things at the AFL level by getting into the right position but currently his last disposal lets him down.
More experience would clean this up. Ottens has always been a very smart defender by reading the play very well and was tracking very well after finishing rising star's runners-up but his 2 ACL has set him back big time, sadly will be delisted.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Greenwood is well on the way to 100 games, seeing he's what 26 and on 32 games. Providing he stays fit and round his game out, you'd kinda expect him to make it.

Keath is a much more questionable prospect seeing he's yet to truly establish himself as a best 22 player. May not make it yet, but even if he doesn't, it's still a tick to Ogilive and co to manage to get a cat B. to play games.

Agreed. Getting a very useful backup player out of the category B rookie list is a win.

Getting a gun mid who can play forward out of it as well is a massive win :thumbsu:

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Loving Greenwood and what he can provide for us in the team mix. Very versatile player who has a good knack of kicking goals whenever he's placed in the forward line! Keath is a good fringe player for now, but has scope for improvements and hoping to see more of what he can provide for the team after 20 games.

I made a thread with similar topic last year: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ace-rookies-greenwood-keath.1174109/

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Greenwood gets all the gold stars available. Amazing hands, good skills, brave. If he continues to develop on his current trajectory he could be something really special. He might become an elite in the competition.

Keath gets the encouragement award. Has a lot of the tools, just needs more experience. Good mark, good speed, good disposal, big bloke. Potential for sure, but not in the same league as Greenwood at this stage.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m just desperate to see Greenwood at 80+ games. I think his instinct and tools are so unique and dangerous that he could very well be our best Mid at a certain point in his career. But he still doesn’t have the tank that 4-5 uninterrupted preseasons affords a player, in fact I’m not even sure if he’s even had 1?

Anyway once he has that under his belt he will be a guy opposing teams have to gameplan for, and probably also look substantially quicker.

Keath, well the jury’s out on his longevity and ceiling, but pure money ball wise, yeah he’s a freaken steal!

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Two absolutely outstanding picks from Ogilvie. Both also demonstrate the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes from Ogilvie and the whole recruiting team. They don't just track this years draftees and next years etc... they also keep tabs on past draft nominees and players who left the system. It is a huge job, and one we do brilliantly well.

I think we also have to pay enormous credit to the work our development coaches do. We don't have elite draft picks, but we do develop players with potential in to AFL quality. If it was my Son, I would be over the Moon if my kid was drafted to Adelaide. You know they will be given every opportunity to make it.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m just desperate to see Greenwood at 80+ games. I think his instinct and tools are so unique and dangerous that he could very well be our best Mid at a certain point in his career. But he still doesn’t have the tank that 4-5 uninterrupted preseasons affords a player, in fact I’m not even sure if he’s even had 1?

Anyway once he has that under his belt he will be a guy opposing teams have to gameplan for, and probably also look substantially quicker.

Keath, well the jury’s out on his longevity and ceiling, but pure money ball wise, yeah he’s a freaken steal!

Yeah good post. Greenwood’s still developing his midfield craft, as well as a midfielders tank, and we probably won’t start to see his true potential until later next year. His core midfield craft, as in his contested work ie clearances, cont possessions and tackles are very good, it’s getting more involved in the spread and general play which takes a bit of time.

Even once he gets the the 50 game mark, we should see a more complete player, the only hope is that with his late start, hopefully he’ll be able to maintain his best well into his 30’s.

Keath needs to get his body right 1st and foremost, if he can have a full preseason and not suffer a 12 week ankle injury in the trial games, similarly I think we’ll see a very good CHB and will likely quickly overtake Hartigan. If he continues to miss large chunks of games, he’ll struggle.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Hugh Greenwood is our best performer player this year!

At least by AFL player ratings which I think is the most helpful of those metrics.

He is in good company.

CD011E84-6BB5-4B0A-B297-9016DB8E2CCF.jpeg

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
The one thing that has baffled me is how Greenwood runs on his heels.
For a guy that played high level basketball, where quickness is important, I just don't get how he is able to jog like that. I feel like one aspect that could convert him from Good to Great player would be that speed. Could we work with him and get him more on his toes? It's not even a flat footed run, its fully on his heels. Not only does this slow him down, it must also be tiring and painful.

Hugh Greenwood is our best performer player this year!

At least by AFL player ratings which I think is the most helpful of those metrics.

He is in good company.

View attachment 533547
As much as I have enjoyed Greenwood's season, the ranking system is flawed when Laird isn't anywhere near our #1 ranked player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah good post. Greenwood’s still developing his midfield craft, as well as a midfielders tank, and we probably won’t start to see his true potential until later next year. His core midfield craft, as in his contested work ie clearances, cont possessions and tackles are very good, it’s getting more involved in the spread and general play which takes a bit of time.

Even once he gets the the 50 game mark, we should see a more complete player, the only hope is that with his late start, hopefully he’ll be able to maintain his best well into his 30’s.

Keath needs to get his body right 1st and foremost, if he can have a full preseason and not suffer a 12 week ankle injury in the trial games, similarly I think we’ll see a very good CHB and will likely quickly overtake Hartigan. If he continues to miss large chunks of games, he’ll struggle.
I think Matt Crouch is a perfect example of a midfielder who got that 4th AFL preseason into him and really exploded. By the time the 2017 season rolled around he had played 47 ok-ish games, was never our worst player, but certainly wasn't setting the world on fire. But then his game noticeably went up a several notches and went from being one of the most ignore-able players in the AFL, to an AA!

Unfortunately given Hugh's circumstances with poorly timed injuries I still think he's probably 2 really solid preseasons away from that jump up in performance. But when he does, oh man, he will be incredibly hard to shut down!

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
For a guy that played high level basketball, where quickness is important, I just don't get how he is able to jog like that. I feel like one aspect that could convert him from Good to Great player would be that speed. Could we work with him and get him more on his toes? It's not even a flat footed run, its fully on his heels. Not only does this slow him down, it must also be tiring and painful.
It may have cost him an NBA career.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Imagine if we ever make a GF again and having fully fit guys like Greenwood, Tex, McGovern, Murphy, Laird, Smith, B Crouch, Milera, Seedsman, Fogarty all playing. There is some really imposing X-factor right there.

Will it ever happen? B Burton: "not under my watch".

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Matt Crouch is a perfect example of a midfielder who got that 4th AFL preseason into him and really exploded. By the time the 2017 season rolled around he had played 47 ok-ish games, was never our worst player, but certainly wasn't setting the world on fire. But then his game noticeably went up a several notches and went from being one of the most ignore-able players in the AFL, to an AA!

Unfortunately given Hugh's circumstances with poorly timed injuries I still think he's probably 2 really solid preseasons away from that jump up in performance. But when he does, oh man, he will be incredibly hard to shut down!
Unlike the majority, those of us who know a quality player when we see him never took Matt Crouch for granted. He was always going to be a gun.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Greenwood, most definitely, keeps improving.
This is a very good point:
Hugh might benefit from getting a running coach for himself or through the club to fix that.

Keath and Poholke both worry me with the second-most important aspect of their game, after getting the ball.
They pause. They hold. They look around. They think. Tick-tick-tick :(, and it gives oppo defences time to shut down our blokes who are (were) in space. In the Essendon-Sydney game last night there were terrific passages of reflexive, fast give-offs by foot and handball from both sides. Watching, I thought of Keath and wished he would speed up his disposals.
The really quick players seem to look around before they get the ball and have a good sense of where they are relative to teammates and oppo players. Even someone as inexperienced as Gallucci has that knack. Keath reads the ball well and has good hands, but I get the impression that when he gets the ball he goes: "Uhhhh, now what?".

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Keath and Greenwood. Well done Hamish. 2 diamonds in the rough during the Trigg caused draft sanction debacle period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back