Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 8, 2023
Scotland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins, Warwickshire CCC
Hello one and all!

I'm a very recent convert to Australian football, having just started watching it this season with an Australian friend who is currently living in the UK. It's an amazing game and it captured my interest straight away - I love how fast-flowing and skilful it is, like the good bits of a rugby match without half as many frustrating stops and starts! I have family connections to Geelong so I've adopted the Cats as my team, although I'm still in the very early stages of learning about the game, the team and its history, but we'll get there. :)

Australian football is virtually unknown here in Scotland. I was surprised to discover that there is an AFL Scotland and an AFL England - I've lived here all my life and followed sports, but had never heard of them! It's a fantastic game and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would love it if they were introduced to it.

Best wishes to you all and see you around,

Peter

Welcome Ace, good to hear you like our game, hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.

I had 2 weeks in Scotland only 3 weeks ago, lovely people, beautiful country. Talked to many whilst there and whilst many had heard of the AFL, they didn't know a lot about it or the game itself. Most were shocked how popular it is in this country.

Parts of me wants it to grow around the world, but I would hate to see our game here become a feeder competition if it ever took off in a bigger country like the U.S.where it's also played on an amateur level.

Keep enjoying our game, keep watching.

Thank you for your welcome, Dogs, and I hope you had a wonderful time in Scotland! It's a beautiful country indeed, and the people tend to be very down to earth, straightforward and friendly. We don't always have the best weather, but you were here at the right time. :)
It would definitely be a shame if the major talent in the AFL started being drawn to America, in the event of the sport becoming popular over there. Always good to see other countries enjoying it, but these things always come with their downside!

Thank you for your welcome, Dogs, and I hope you had a wonderful time in Scotland! It's a beautiful country indeed, and the people tend to be very down to earth, straightforward and friendly. We don't always have the best weather, but you were here at the right time. :)
It would definitely be a shame if the major talent in the AFL started being drawn to America, in the event of the sport becoming popular over there. Always good to see other countries enjoying it, but these things always come with their downside!
welcome mate,i moved to Australia from Scotland 31 years ago ive been a Carlton member for the last 16 years for my sins.

Thank you very much for the welcome, Fabab - very nice to meet a fellow Scot! Whereabouts in Scotland are you from? I have to move between a couple of sites for work, so I spend half of my time in Perthshire and half in Caithness. I like them both, but Caithness is stunning. :) Hope you're enjoying living in Australia and that it's everything you hoped it would be!

Welcome Ace, great introduction. Glad you’re enjoying discovering the game - I only found footy as a teenager and loved that period where I was picking it up and trying to soak in as much as I could.

Visited Scotland with Mrs Zevon a few years ago and we fell in love with it. Such a beautiful place with amazing people. Fairly sure she’ll leave me for a Scot one day, she loves the accent 🙂

Thank you very much for the welcome, Fabab - very nice to meet a fellow Scot! Whereabouts in Scotland are you from? I have to move between a couple of sites for work, so I spend half of my time in Perthshire and half in Caithness. I like them both, but Caithness is stunning. :) Hope you're enjoying living in Australia and that it's everything you hoped it would be!
Im from Tullibody ,now in Perth WA,love it mate. Great climate got a good local pub and great friends if only Carlton werent so shite!

Hello one and all!

I'm a very recent convert to Australian football, having just started watching it this season with an Australian friend who is currently living in the UK. It's an amazing game and it captured my interest straight away - I love how fast-flowing and skilful it is, like the good bits of a rugby match without half as many frustrating stops and starts! I have family connections to Geelong so I've adopted the Cats as my team, although I'm still in the very early stages of learning about the game, the team and its history, but we'll get there. :)

Australian football is virtually unknown here in Scotland. I was surprised to discover that there is an AFL Scotland and an AFL England - I've lived here all my life and followed sports, but had never heard of them! It's a fantastic game and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would love it if they were introduced to it.

Peter
Big part of my ancestry is Scottish. Came here in the 1850s.

I visited your beautiful country in 2010, loved every part of it, gods country.

I hope your support of our code continues and grows.

Welcome Ace, great introduction. Glad you’re enjoying discovering the game - I only found footy as a teenager and loved that period where I was picking it up and trying to soak in as much as I could.

Visited Scotland with Mrs Zevon a few years ago and we fell in love with it. Such a beautiful place with amazing people. Fairly sure she’ll leave me for a Scot one day, she loves the accent 🙂

Thank you for the welcome Zevon! You're right, the period when you are just discovering the game is one of the most exciting parts of it, and I'm not rushing. :) It's great to have a new sport to discover -- hasn't happened since I started following the NFL, almost 40 years ago!

Im from Tullibody ,now in Perth WA,love it mate. Great climate got a good local pub and great friends if only Carlton werent so shite!

Ah, Tullibody! I don't know it well, but I've spent plenty of time in Stirling! Very glad that you love Australia - it looks like a wonderful country. :)

Big part of my ancestry is Scottish. Came here in the 1850s.

I visited your beautiful country in 2010, loved every part of it, gods country.

I hope your support of our code continues and grows.

Thank you for the welcome Stevie, and I'm glad you enjoyed your trip back to your ancestral land. It certainly is a beautiful place.

Hello one and all!

Peter
with afl being pretty much unknown over there, makes me wonder if theres another national sport out there as amazing as afl ive never heard of

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome! Am fae Scotland anaw. Braw wee country!

Hello, Mrs Zevon

National Hockey League Flirt GIF by Seattle Kraken

Hello one and all!

Peter
Welcome lad.
As we're smack bang in the middle of anti-Pommy season down here, we'd love it if you'd allow us to partake in the ever-popular mooning-the-Brits festival.
braveheart-movies.gif

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."

It certainly has! A few members of my family settled there many generations ago, and their grandchildren and great-grandchildren still live in the area today. :) Thank you very much for the welcome!
Welcome bràthair, both my grandfathers were Scots and most of the family still live in the sou'west district of Victoria that our ancestors played a part of settling.

My family hails from both the low and highlands, fathers' side from Edinburgh and mothers' from around Inverness. I've travelled to both, absolutely loved it and will be back again to visit Castle Duart as a first priority.

Hello one and all!

Peter

Welcome mate.

True story, if I was ever going to change my user name it would have been to Ace Rimmer. I legitimately thought about doing it last week. Now I'll have to change it to Mr Flibble instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back