StratusNY_11

Draftee
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yankees, NY Rangers, Jets, Cosmos
Greetings and Salutations, Footy Fans

Just a new fan from the U.S. of A. (Upstate New York to be exact). I've known about the Aussie Rules' existence for 10 years now and let me just say...how the heck did I not pay more attention to the AFL before?! My best guess being the yank I am, I'm preoccupied with baseball (Go Yankees!), the NHL (Go Rangers!), the NFL (Go Jets?), and basketball (go..ugh..Knicks).

My first footy experience was little over a year ago via channel surfing until I hit Bulldogs vs. Bombers on Fox Sports 2. At first I thought it was NRL until saw the jumpers, so I just sat there having no freaking clue what was going on all over the field. All I knew was whenever Western gets a goal, I'll see the supporters go crazy waving those tricolor flags and giant pom-poms. So, I pretty much stuck with it tried to catch the next two matches that aired the next week, or at least DVR it.

Nowadays, watching AFL until 3am on a Friday is pretty much a habit for me. And just getting to watch the Bulldogs win makes that bit of lost sleep makes it all the sweeter.

Welcome to BigFooty and welcome to the Bulldogs. We need all the support we can get. Unfortunately we haven't made a habit out of winning this year.... but you sure picked a good time to start being a Doggies supporter. Good luck to you.

Greetings and Salutations, Footy Fans

Just a new fan from the U.S. of A. (Upstate New York to be exact). I've known about the Aussie Rules' existence for 10 years now and let me just say...how the heck did I not pay more attention to the AFL before?! My best guess being the yank I am, I'm preoccupied with baseball (Go Yankees!), the NHL (Go Rangers!), the NFL (Go Jets?), and basketball (go..ugh..Knicks).

My first footy experience was little over a year ago via channel surfing until I hit Bulldogs vs. Bombers on Fox Sports 2. At first I thought it was NRL until saw the jumpers, so I just sat there having no freaking clue what was going on all over the field. All I knew was whenever Western gets a goal, I'll see the supporters go crazy waving those tricolor flags and giant pom-poms. So, I pretty much stuck with it tried to catch the next two matches that aired the next week, or at least DVR it.

Nowadays, watching AFL until 3am on a Friday is pretty much a habit for me. And just getting to watch the Bulldogs win makes that bit of lost sleep makes it all the sweeter.
Welcome aboard mate!

go dogs!

Welcome
I'm a Houston resident since 1990
Astros.
(Forever - since the 60s before the tequila sunrise jerseys - my Dad's favorite sport and favorite team)
Broncos/Saints.
(grew up in Louisiana but lived in Denver for 11 years)
Devils.
(early 80s season ticket holder when they were the original Colorado Rockies)
Rockets (but not a big NBA fan)
Lived in Melbourne during the 70s. Saw a few Footscray Bulldogs games live but I've been a Hawks supporter since 1971. First AFL (VFL then) game I saw was 1971 Hawks-Saints grand final. (Brutal - There was no blood rule that afternoon! Fantastic 4th Quarter)
I found a few broadcasts on ESPN in the 80s. Then a lot of years with no US TV. After that the AFL popped up on Irish TV in the US for a bit. Since Fox has had it in the US, coverage had been the best it's ever been in US. FOX Soccer Plus usually shows 2 or 3 games a week (It's $25 extra a month on satellite & cable TV but I usually don't subscribe until 2nd month of season in May & cancel after the Grand Final in September - so it's 5 months & a lot of those games are live) Fox Sports 2 usually shows a lot of the Finals games.
Hope you continue to enjoy
Blake

Remove this Banner Ad

Back