Opinion Greg Denham gives a whack to Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

You've been around long enough and seen it enough times when a coach has lost the plot at Richmond.

Any coach with Dusty, Jack, Cotchin, Deledio and Rance at their disposal would have built a much more competitive team. Any coach except this one.

And it doesnt take 7 years to "teach a squad how to play AFL Footy". Take note of the Dogs and the Saints.

I agree that we should be doing a lot better than this year. 2016 has been a huge fail. I also don't believe we have the depth. I'm not sure another coach would do better. I've stated numerous times that I am a Hardwick man but my patience is being tested. The game plan and structures is one of the worst in the comp this year. I think he should be given 2017 to turn things around but the club needs to do something with his assistants. He won't see 2018 if there isn't significant improvement in how we play next year.

I agree that we should be doing a lot better than this year. 2016 has been a huge fail. I also don't believe we have the depth. I'm not sure another coach would do better. I've stated numerous times that I am a Hardwick man but my patience is being tested. The game plan and structures is one of the worst in the comp this year. I think he should be given 2017 to turn things around but the club needs to do something with his assistants. He won't see 2018 if there isn't significant improvement in how we play next year.
I fail to see how after coaching a team for seven years and implementing the worst game style in the comp, he deserves to get another year.

Denham went early not thinking the Tigers would be only the fourth worst performed team this weekend.

Edit: BF Tiger went early not thinking Bombers would kick last three goals of match to be fourth worst side of the round, Tigers move up to third.

Last edited:
I fail to see how after coaching a team for seven years and implementing the worst game style in the comp, he deserves to get another year.

Fair question and fair point of view. I just think that he has shown that he can coach and teach a game plan. He has been found out this year in trying to change the game plan that we have been playing for the last few years. Found out badly. But I don't believe it is just his coaching that has led to a complete breakdown in our game plan. Other reasons very much come into play...early season injuries to our running players, very little depth in our playing ranks, list management to name a few.

His first few years were re-building the list and teaching the squad how to play AFL football.

He has had 3 years of finals...yes with no wins which has been a terrible way to close out a season.

This year has been a disaster and I hold the coaches partly responsible as there has been a complete breakdown in game plan and structures. He has also had bad luck with injuries. List management and drafting has also hurt us.

IMO he has next year to show that he can rectify the gaping hole in our game plan and structures. He has tried to change our game plan to a more free flowing style with no success whatsoever. If he can't do it, he must go.

And yes I am a Hardwick man.
I agree 100%

This bloke is the biggest flog in the afl.

There’s some bloody tough competition for that title! He must be the floggiest flog from West Floggington.

For mine, Mark Maclure is Captain Flog, leader of the Flog Squad, with a big, red capital F on the front of his undies.

Fair question and fair point of view. I just think that he has shown that he can coach and teach a game plan. He has been found out this year in trying to change the game plan that we have been playing for the last few years. Found out badly. But I don't believe it is just his coaching that has led to a complete breakdown in our game plan. Other reasons very much come into play...early season injuries to our running players, very little depth in our playing ranks, list management to name a few.
But don't we have the best list he had in seven years?

But don't we have the best list he had in seven years?

I tend to think that Hardwick was taking about the list profile when he said that rather than about the actual players themselves.

Age and games played are two key indicators for where a list is at. Also breakdown of talls and smalls. Our list profile is a lot better now than at any other time during Hardwick's reign. Effin problem however is that the players haven't come on.

Example: we have two talls who have been taken early in the draft (Vickery and Griffiths) who have shown that they can play. I am convinced that they can be good AFL players...IF they can play to the level of their ability. And yet most weeks, they don't play to their ability. Imagine having just one of them clunking marks down forward and how much pressure that would then be applying to opposition defenses. And yet, to date they bring little to the table.

I could reel off a couple more examples.

We have a serious player development issue at the club. Is that Hardwick or is that the development coaches? I dare say a combination. The head coach however can't be the be all and end all. Good clubs rely on their assistants as much as they do their head coach.

I tend to think that Hardwick was taking about the list profile when he said that rather than about the actual players themselves.

Age and games played are two key indicators for where a list is at. Also breakdown of talls and smalls. Our list profile is a lot better now than at any other time during Hardwick's reign. Effin problem however is that the players haven't come on.

Example: we have two talls who have been taken early in the draft (Vickery and Griffiths) who have shown that they can play. I am convinced that they can be good AFL players...IF they can play to the level of their ability. And yet most weeks, they don't play to their ability. Imagine having just one of them clunking marks down forward and how much pressure that would then be applying to opposition defenses. And yet, to date they bring little to the table.

We have a serious player development issue at the club. Is that Hardwick or is that the development coaches? I dare say a combination. The head coach however can't be the be all and end all. Good clubs rely on their assistants as much as they do their head coach.
Well hello proper coaches bring in there own assistants are you saying we did different? If not doesn't it go down on the coach. A coach wants a game plan assistants thats all they do assist in that game plan. Do you think the vfl coach wants to play the game style his forced to play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get what you are saying, but I don't think our list profile is too crash hot, especially key talls.
Forwards: Jack (elite), Griffiths (inconsistent), Vickery (sorry, I don't rate - lazy, gifted games and I'm sure both those traits don't sit well with teammates), McBean (well, you know what they think of him and he's gone in five weeks).
Backs: Rance (elite), Astbury (so-so), Elton (well two games in five seasons means he's out the door).
Now, yes, there are significant development issues. Griff is taking an eternity to play good games and nowhere near consistent enough, while McBean and Elton just haven't developed through lack of opportunity, coaching, tuition etc.
We can't carry McBean and Elton for another season - yes talls take longer but not this long - so that will leave potentially:
Backs: Rance and Astbury.
Forwards: Riewolt and Griffiths (I'm certain Vickery will be traded or become a free agent).
What does that mean? We are one Rance or Jack injury away from total ruin.

Well hello proper coaches bring in there own assistants are you saying we did different? If not doesn't it go down on the coach. A coach wants a game plan assistants thats all they do assist in that game plan. Do you think the vfl coach wants to play the game style his forced to play?

Clubs control this a lot more now because of the Caps around footy spending

Remove this Banner Ad

Back