Toast Greg Phillips inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved Greg Phillips. Skillful, tough and unflappable. Cahill built his whole game plan around Phillips.
I yelled in delight at every boundary throw in during the last quarter of the 1979 GF. Kuchie must have smashed a dozen throw ins back over the boundary line for a time wasting repeat while we were kicking against the wind with an already insurmountable lead.
Halcyon days.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The first image I have engrained in my brain from watching footy as a child, was of Phillips taking a mark at CHB against South Adelaide at Adelaide Oval. I would have been 5-6 at the time and it was before he went off to Collingwood. I then had the pleasure of watching him from 1987-92 when he returned.

The only match-up I remember him losing was one awful day at Elizabeth Oval against Phil Graham who ran him ragged. Other than that, he was virtually unbeatable. Legend. Legend. Legend.

I remember a game at Footy Park where Greg gave Matty Robran an almighty hip and shoulder. The contact was so loud you would have thought Greg whacked him with a piece of 4 by 2 :D.

Nothing illegal, not a shirt front, just shoulder to shoulder contact. But Robran was reduced to just an on field spectator for the rest of the game.

I remember a game at Footy Park where Greg gave Matty Robran an almighty hip and shoulder. The contact was so loud you would have thought Greg whacked him with a piece of 4 by 2 :D.

Nothing illegal, not a shirt front, just shoulder to shoulder contact. But Robran was reduced to just an on field spectator for the rest of the game.

I think Robran was with the cows at the time and at least 10 years younger than Greg but he was given an absolute bath that day.

Well deserved Greg Just a great player . His legs would make Ollies look skinny lol but seriously brilliant player , read the play , great mark an he’d set up play with measured kicks or 30 metre handballs .
No coincidence when he was at Collingwood we had a lull in our premierships and they kicked back in when he came back.
Loved his booming voice too on the field , he be yelling out to the forwards “ keep it down there “.
Well done champion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are these emotions welling up inside me?

This damn club makes me so bloody proud at times.

I just watched the John Abley vision on Fox Footy and for some reason started cutting some onions. No idea why.

What a hoot!

Loved the story re-Bomber Clifford. First time Kutchie got caught up with Bomber, turned into an all-night drinking session. "First time I ever saw the sun come up on a Sunday morning after a match". Few chuckles. Bit of a pause. "Oh yeah. And Monday morning as well". More laughter.

o_O:cool::p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back