Coach Greg Stafford - Forwards Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

You might be right. Publicly Goody bemoans our lack of forward connection though.

Whatever it is, it's a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The connection starts with the blokes kicking it. There was a stat on Fox footy midway last year or the year before that Oliver and Trac had found one mark inside 50 from like 110 kicks between the them at one point.

Our forwards are crap and they struggle at getting speration but it all starts with the ball carrier not using them

The connection starts with the blokes kicking it. There was a stat on Fox footy midway last year or the year before that Oliver and Trac had found one mark inside 50 from like 110 kicks between the them at one point.

Our forwards are crap and they struggle at getting speration but it all starts with the ball carrier not using them
Bit of both now.

The forwards are like headless chickens. They mostly don’t lead, but that might be because they have been burned so often by a midfield that bombs at random and in hope. Then you get a midfield that rarely see a good leading target.

Overall I agree though. It starts in the middle. Plenty of teams have done well without greats in the forward line. And bugger the midfield. These days they are top of the queue for individual awards, so earn it and play better thanks.

Overall, it would be good to see a coach who can read our assets and defects as a team, and forge a game plan to get the best of this. Forward half football and priding ourselves in efforts in the contest is clearly falling short.

I used to put the blame on the mids equally with the forwards but I'm seeing a much more concerted effort to stop and lower the eyes when kicking into the forward 50 this year. Unfortunately they more often than not have nothing to kick to. That's on the forwards and their coaching. I'm specifically talking about kicks into the arc, not the hack kicks by Oliver out of the middle.

I used to put the blame on the mids equally with the forwards but I'm seeing a much more concerted effort to stop and lower the eyes when kicking into the forward 50 this year. Unfortunately they more often than not have nothing to kick to. That's on the forwards and their coaching. I'm specifically talking about kicks into the arc, not the hack kicks by Oliver out of the middle.
Yep. Forwardline is a mess

Look, I think it's certain that the two areas are shoddy - our mids are mostly questionable by foot, and I think they're scared/encouraged not to bite off too much with kicking inside 50.

But the forward line functioning is awful too. So many players run to the same areas, hardly any one leads at the ball carrier.

Plus the glaring issue which should be easy to fix is we're one KPF too many up there. Two of JVR/Petty/Turner plus Fritta is a great mix, plus the smalls.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It appears to be a trend that we take talented key position players from defence and throw them forward. They apply their natural abilities along with very basic forward craft (read leading at the bloody ball carrier) and they look a million dollars.

Fast forward a couple of years, within which they've received coaching as a permanent forward, and they suck.

TMac - foot injury and age played a part though
Petty - foot injury
Turner? - don't know if he's actually good yet

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't like him. He comes across as a weirdo in interviews.
He does come across a weird unit.

The F50 is just so stagnant. No movement. Blame the mids all you like, but when the forwards aren't leading to the ball, then what option they got? The ball users have actually lowered their eyes more this season for sure. But our F50 is a dogs breakfast. Maybe Disco will give us a bit more movement down there? He moves quite well for a big guy unlike Brown or a resting ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back