Coach Greg Stafford - Forwards Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys are hilarious

I'd say considering we used the corridor 18th of 18 for us to still be in the top 6 scoring sides then the forward coach is working miracles especially with the guys he's got.
Agree that the corridor stat is damning, but we also have the most inside 50s. Regardless, it kills us either way. Heaps of ball, keepings off, minimal dare or execution.

The real issue is that the forward and midfield coaches don't seem to be talking to one another, or the senior coach isn't listening if they are.

Agree that the corridor stat is damning, but we also have the most inside 50s. Regardless, it kills us either way. Heaps of ball, keepings off, minimal dare or execution.

The real issue is that the forward and midfield coaches don't seem to be talking to one another, or the senior coach isn't listening if they are.
The midfielders kick the ball in, in a way that only Gawn or Sandilands or naughton could possibly mark. If I was the forwards coach I'd be asking what the actual * he's sposed to do with that?

Why bother coaching forward craft, separation, extra leads etc when Oliver is just going to kick 60m to the goal line or from the wing to a pack at 45m out?

The fact we even score is incredible sometimes

The midfielders kick the ball in, in a way that only Gawn or Sandilands or naughton could possibly mark. If I was the forwards coach I'd be asking what the actual * he's sposed to do with that?

Why bother coaching forward craft, separation, extra leads etc when Oliver is just going to kick 60m to the goal line or from the wing to a pack at 45m out?

The fact we even score is incredible sometimes
Ergo, they're not simpatico. There's a big issue here.

Ergo, they're not simpatico. There's a big issue here.
That would be on the senior coach then because he ticks off the overall game plan. Seems like all the work Choco was doing on improving our kicking has been completely thrown out.

I'd like to blame Yze as well, but its up the coach to set the plan

The constant low-risk, low-reward predictable kick to a contest is awful to watch against sides that are decent enough to work out we're gonna do the same thing over and over so don't even bother defending lanes.

It's an awful offensive style.

If we lose this week you'd have to hope the CEO and head of footy demand a shake up of both game plan and coaching staff.

You can't keep running with a game plan and strategy built around extra numbers at the contest when all it results in is plenty of terrible F50 entries.

A couple of things are definitely Stafford's fault/responsibility are the fact that on a slower play our forwards don't create options, they just stand around waiting for it to be kicked long. The second is that certain players don't fly for marks when they're in the box seat. On the occasions the kick inside 50 is pulled away from the opposition's tall defenders our medium and smalls often just stand there and watch it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we lose this week you'd have to hope the CEO and head of footy demand a shake up of both game plan and coaching staff.

You can't keep running with a game plan and strategy built around extra numbers at the contest when all it results in is plenty of terrible F50 entries.

A couple of things are definitely Stafford's fault/responsibility are the fact that on a slower play our forwards don't create options, they just stand around waiting for it to be kicked long. The second is that certain players don't fly for marks when they're in the box seat. On the occasions the kick inside 50 is pulled away from the opposition's tall defenders our medium and smalls often just stand there and watch it.

They’ve got an in-built and frankly valid excuse for not winning this weekend. Depleted forward line stocks. Petty, Melk, JVR out. TMac, Brown injured most of the season. Just not potent enough.

“It’s something we’ll be addressing as a priority through the draft and trade season.”

That’s what Goody will be wheeling out, almost verbatim. You watch.

Last edited:

Yeah this bit is the thing that annoys me the most. None of our guys create leads so our midfielders just default into bombing it as far as they can. Whenever the forwardline gets crowded it honestly looks like no one up there has any clue as to what to do with themselves.

What's the point of leading and running away from where Clayton and Co are just going to bomb it to anyway? All you're doing is running to where the footy won't be
Bit chicken and egg tbh.

Bit chicken and egg tbh.
Well not really, we didn't even attempt to change the kicking style during the game which means that was clearly the plan. I didn't see a bunch of mids holding the ball frustrated at no one to kick to, but I did see Petracca free inside 50 pointing to kick the ball over his head

Well not really, we didn't even attempt to change the kicking style during the game which means that was clearly the plan. I didn't see a bunch of mids holding the ball frustrated at no one to kick to, but I did see Petracca free inside 50 pointing to kick the ball over his head
There were a few times we tried to go short to hit up targets but generally just turned it over.

Yeah this bit is the thing that annoys me the most. None of our guys create leads so our midfielders just default into bombing it as far as they can. Whenever the forwardline gets crowded it honestly looks like no one up there has any clue as to what to do with themselves.

Do we think JVR and TMac are gonna take 30 contested marks? Did they even take 1 between them? Smith took a couple from memory. But sheesh that's poor from the midfield and half forwards. Complete panic stations.

Do we think JVR and TMac are gonna take 30 contested marks? Did they even take 1 between them? Smith took a couple from memory. But sheesh that's poor from the midfield and half forwards. Complete panic stations.

I reckon the forwards play their part in this as well though. They just clump together 30 out, there's no spacing, no directional leading, we don't even have crumbers in the right spots - they fly too! More of the blame is on the mids of course, and I reckon one of the reasons Spargo has gone off the radar is our habit of just bypassing half forward. We kick it from 70-80 out to 30 out, and then wonder why blokes like Spargo, Chandler, even ANB (who is statistically our best kick inside 50 this year) don't have a big impact.

Change the angles, change the lengths, use the short kicks to bring those small half forwards into the game and everything can change. This is why I'd love to see Salem tried forward this week - He used to be the bloke everyone would look for by hand to get him to kick it, but now with a stacked backline he's not as valuable, but it would be an easy instruction from Goody to say look for Salo to kick it again and change that forward habit. Oliver and Trac would certainly take more notice of him than they do Spargo, Chandler and ANB.

Tell me that's the forward coaches fault.
That's embarrassing

So embarrassing.

After Clarry had done 5 long hospital bombs in a row for no result what was going on in his head to keep doing it? What the hell did Goodwin and Stafford say to him and the group about it during the breaks? Either the coaches did nothing or the players didn’t listen to them. Whatever the case it’s probably cost us a GF appearance and maybe a flag. They absolutely blew it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back