Coach Greg Stafford - Forwards Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

So embarrassing.

After Clarry had done 5 long hospital bombs in a row for no result what was going on in his head to keep doing it? What the hell did Goodwin and Stafford say to him and the group about it during the breaks? Either the coaches did nothing or the players didn’t listen to them. Whatever the case it’s probably cost us a GF appearance and maybe the flag.
They told him brilliant job mate, look how many inside 50s and turnovers we're getting. Just another 5 or 10 more and we might even score.

Yeah the whole bombing it in thing is clearly a coaching directive. In the 2021 GF Goody literally told the players just grab it and hack it forward, which ironically is what we didn’t do in the 3rd quarter.
Yep, he literally told us to go long during that rush of goals in the third which we thankfully ignored and continued to run it

All the bang bang bang goals were the result of long bombs. Two were goals themselves and one was a classic nothing kick to the pocket where Trac created some magic.
Yeah nah he was saying bang it on the boot from the stoppage though not run it to 55 and bomb it

Yep, he asked for quick kicks as soon as we took possession. Instead each time we got into space by hand then launched which is much more dangerous.
Oh yeah it was on that post GF 30 min video. I remember saying at the time it was like Clarry Trac and Viney completely ignored what he said and won us the game themselves

One thing I will say is that we were really down on personnel. BBB Tmac Melksham Petty Fritta all had availability issues this year. Gawn/Grundy forward hasn’t worked.
I do get the forward delivery had been woeful at times but there’s been no consistency in personnel.

Think hes easy to blame, not saying hes great or anything, but clearly the head coach and midfield aren't exactly helping get the best out of our forwards.

Think hes easy to blame, not saying hes great or anything, but clearly the head coach and midfield aren't exactly helping get the best out of our forwards.

Hadn't read page two, shocked to see I agree with TK.

If we lose this week you'd have to hope the CEO and head of footy demand a shake up of both game plan and coaching staff.

You can't keep running with a game plan and strategy built around extra numbers at the contest when all it results in is plenty of terrible F50 entries.

A couple of things are definitely Stafford's fault/responsibility are the fact that on a slower play our forwards don't create options, they just stand around waiting for it to be kicked long. The second is that certain players don't fly for marks when they're in the box seat. On the occasions the kick inside 50 is pulled away from the opposition's tall defenders our medium and smalls often just stand there and watch it.

Yep, this the part where Stafford is to blame, dont know if its a directive to try and beat teams over the top but the stand still with your hand up expecting the perfect kick aka the Jesse Hogan s**t from our forwards has always been a thing.

Hoping McAdam can make a difference coz that guy leads really well for the ball, or will his spirit be instantly broken and he becomes Melbourne'd to where he's standing still raising his hand too.

Either way, the disconnect between the mids and forwards falls for more to Goody's fault than Stafford's
I'd be interested to know what a forward coach actually does. But it does feel like each of our forwards were relying on individual brilliance to kick goals. Fritsch and Melk had to win contests from all kinds of angles and positions and Koz always has to crumb from the boundary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think when you look at how other teams go into a crowded forward 50 it looks very different from what we do. Just feels like we have either have no trust in our mids to hit up a target or no faith in our forwards to take those marks. Either way we're going inside with a mindset of locking in the ball over scoring.

I'd be interested to know what a forward coach actually does.

Looks like he gets told that repeat stoppages inside 50 are far more important than goals.

My hope is that we have decided to play this way to limit the deficiencies of our weakest areas and maximise the strengths of our defence, and that with some higher quality marking forwards we'd change things up a bit to try and maximise those assets. Bit like how Geelong changed their style in 2022 to get the most out of the Hawkins/Cameron combo.

My hope is that we have decided to play this way to limit the deficiencies of our weakest areas and maximise the strengths of our defence, and that with some higher quality marking forwards we'd change things up a bit to try and maximise those assets. Bit like how Geelong changed their style in 2022 to get the most out of the Hawkins/Cameron combo.
What quality marking forwards lol. Gawn and May will be retired by the time they come through and then we have Jake Lever as our FB

What quality marking forwards lol. Gawn and May will be retired by the time they come through and then we have Jake Lever as our FB
I'm not saying we need a coleman medalist or anything but it's pretty obvious our forwardline is something we've neglected and need to find some better options there. Our best key forward going into a Semi is going to be Joel Smith. The cupboard is absolutely bare.

The most frustrating thing about the whole crowd the F50 game plan is that we go into games with it as our sole objective far too often

It would actually be good to use as a situational tool (with a lead or wanting to slow the momentum of the opposition down for 5-10 minutes). Felt like we did this far more in 2021.

Its something Goody has fallen far too in love with. Has a hard on for certain stats and indicators and bases a game plan around getting those numbers while failing to take into account that if the opposition is expecting you to do something its far easier to defend regardless of if you hit those particular numbers.

I'm not saying we need a coleman medalist or anything but it's pretty obvious our forwardline is something we've neglected and need to find some better options there. Our best key forward going into a Semi is going to be Joel Smith. The cupboard is absolutely bare.
Did we neglect it? We drafted Jefferson and JVR back to back, plus Kozzie and Jackson in 20 and traded in for Brown. Maybe we haven't gone hardcore on it but that's more than nothing.

Like I said earlier if Petty and Melk were fit it would look fine. Collingwood don't exactly have a mega star front half

Did we neglect it? We drafted Jefferson and JVR back to back, plus Kozzie and Jackson in 20 and traded in for Brown. Maybe we haven't gone hardcore on it but that's more than nothing.

Like I said earlier if Petty and Melk were fit it would look fine. Collingwood don't exactly have a mega star front half
That's fair, and yeah the forwardline was functioning great when JVR, Petty and Melk were all fit and firing, which was basically my point about how we are playing conservatively to cover our deficencies up forward anyway.

I said the other day that just adding McAdam, Chol and a fit Petty would make us look a lot better.

I'd be interested to know what a forward coach actually does. But it does feel like each of our forwards were relying on individual brilliance to kick goals. Fritsch and Melk had to win contests from all kinds of angles and positions and Koz always has to crumb from the boundary

Would be great to have a forwards coach who could teach our forwards how Tom Hawkins leads for the ball.
That’s the practical stuff I’d like our forwards to be taught. You don’t have to start your lead from 80m away and sprint for 60m to get on the end of a kick.

All about timing and positioning.

Yes our mids would probably still kick it over their heads by 45m but that’s for Goodwin and Yze to sort out.

The most frustrating thing about the whole crowd the F50 game plan is that we go into games with it as our sole objective far too often

It would actually be good to use as a situational tool (with a lead or wanting to slow the momentum of the opposition down for 5-10 minutes). Felt like we did this far more in 2021.

Its something Goody has fallen far too in love with. Has a hard on for certain stats and indicators and bases a game plan around getting those numbers while failing to take into account that if the opposition is expecting you to do something its far easier to defend regardless of if you hit those particular numbers.

100% spot on.

Hard to believe you can do analysis this accurate and still insist Schache will kick 7 in the grand final.

100% spot on.

Hard to believe you can do analysis this accurate and still insist Schache will kick 7 in the grand final.

If we ever make it to a grand final I'm confident I will be proven correct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back