Coach Greg Stafford - Forwards Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

That's fair, and yeah the forwardline was functioning great when JVR, Petty and Melk were all fit and firing, which was basically my point about how we are playing conservatively to cover our deficencies up forward anyway.

I said the other day that just adding McAdam, Chol and a fit Petty would make us look a lot better.

It will be bloody sad if we waste JVRs early promise by turning him into just another tall bloke to be standing around when we bomb it in.

Showed some natural forward craft but has increasingly been unable to get into the game and there's no doubt he's already started to learn the unhelpful lesson that there's not much point leading up to the ball when our mids are running through the middle.

Catch ya later Stafford!
All of melbournes issues have been the same issues for a long time. Dont tell me a few weeks of petty and chips all in on melksham have cost us. This club has failed to manage its list which should be competing for a 2nd grand final.

All is well at the MFC. Nothing needs changing. Please cheer louder, ungrateful supporters.
Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

This is very disappointing tbh, we need to shake up the assistants.

No idea what the plan is, but both Choco and Stafford are staying so I wonder if perhaps Stafford could be ruck/stoppages coach, Choco forwards coach, Chaplin moves to midfield/strategy, and bring in someone new for defensive coach (all assuming Yze leaves for the Tigers).

Pretty sure the forward entries are the problem more so than the forward line structures.

I’d prefer to keep him but I reckon Yze will get the Richmond gig and that should open the door to more new ideas at our end next year.

Pretty sure the forward entries are the problem more so than the forward line structures.

I’d prefer to keep him but I reckon Yze will get the Richmond gig and that should open the door to more new ideas at our end next year.
Generally agree. Our set shots/goalkicking generally needs work, but given how it comes in and the musical chairs selection this year the forwards themselves were solid.

Some better kicking going in (or getting it to our skilled HFFs) would be a bigger benefit and that's largely on the mids to sort out.

I'm surprised this doesn't have it's own thread.

Our game plan forward of centre is a basket case. Mids win the ball and half the time there is no one to kick it to. No leads, forwards getting in each other's way, just no confidence there at all.

We need a new forwards coach imo, we have been doing the same thing for years and it's only through weight of numbers (inside 50 entries) that we have won so many games.

Sack Stafford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our game plan forward of centre is a basket case. Mids win the ball and half the time there is no one to kick it to. No leads, forwards getting in each other's way, just no confidence there at all.

We need a new forwards coach imo, we have been doing the same thing for years and it's only through weight of numbers (inside 50 entries) that we have won so many games.

Sack Stafford.

This argument is just circular. Why lead when Oliver gets it's and doesn't even consider where you're standing when he torps it into the sky.

Apparently we got mcqualter and spent all off season working on ball movement and it's looks worse than ever

Sack Stafford.
Easy to blame Stafford and the forwards.

Did you not see our ball use last night? It was absolutely horrific and yoy can have Tony Lockett up there last night and he wouldn't have gotten a kick.

Example, few times in the first quarter Petty broke out onto some really good leads and separation from his defender and yet we couldn't hit the simple kick out in front of him.

That's not the forwards fault but instead our s**t ball movement and inability to hit the lead up when needed.

When you have guys like Petracca, Oliver and Sparrow who just constantly bomb aimlessly into our inside 50 then as a forward you have zero hope. As a defender I'd be loving life. We made Ben Miller look like Matty Scarlett last night because he was able to pick off the easy ball.

Easy to blame Stafford and the forwards.

Did you not see our ball use last night? It was absolutely horrific and yoy can have Tony Lockett up there last night and he wouldn't have gotten a kick.

Example, few times in the first quarter Petty broke out onto some really good leads and separation from his defender and yet we couldn't hit the simple kick out in front of him.

That's not the forwards fault but instead our s**t ball movement and inability to hit the lead up when needed.

When you have guys like Petracca, Oliver and Sparrow who just constantly bomb aimlessly into our inside 50 then as a forward you have zero hope. As a defender I'd be loving life. We made Ben Miller look like Matty Scarlett last night because he was able to pick off the easy ball.
They do still lead back towards goal or stand still when they have a teammate running towards them for the most part, both are s**t, #stillworkingonourconnection ....

Turner's first goal a perfect example, Trac steaming forward into an open 50 both Disco and Slick with a hand up looking for one over the top, makes the kick harder. 30ms of space between the ball carrier and forwards and their instinct is to get one out the back. Luckily it came off but * me if we dont make things way harder than it should be.

Last edited:
That Port game was one of the best games of footy I've watched live in ages. We lost all the stats but won because we transitioned better and some miraculously good kicking which Goody credited to their program (guess they've forgotten everything since). We were transitioning from the back half which meant the forward line had space and we could actually make use of entries.

Goody kept saying we've still gotta improve but happy we're winning. I thought he meant adapt to the new playstyle, then before this match he said what he means is we want to be a forward half team. He wants us to look like the garbage we rolled out last night. Jam it in, keep it in.

Like, get f'd mate. Not only is it a style that consistently loses finals, it's bloody horrible to watch.

It is remarkable we've had one glaring issue in the past few years - the forward line - and the bloke overseeing that area isn't under any pressure

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The forward coach is doing exactly what the senior coach wants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back