Greg Swann endorses the correct opinion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
...best available!

Pies opt for draft quality
By Mark Robinson
November 23, 2005
WIDESPREAD opinion has Collingwood taking pacy midfielder Xavier Ellis at No.2 in Saturday's national draft, but the Magpies yesterday wouldn't come to the party.

"I think we have, yeah . . . yeah, we have," Magpies chief executive Greg Swann said when asked if the Pies had penned in the name of their prized selection.

Who? "Can't tell you."

"If everyone says we're taking Ellis, well, good, we'll see what happens on the day."

Collingwood has selections No.2 and No.5 in the draft and with Marc Murphy signed and sealed at Carlton, the Pies will decide the fate of the next best five kids in the country.

Among them are Josh Kennedy, Shannon Hurn, Beau Dowler, Patrick Ryder and Dale Thomas, a mix of key-position and midfield players.

"There's a lot of stories going around," Swann said.

"You would've heard who we're picking and that someone else likes him, and someone else, but I reckon last year was the perfect case in point.

"Before the draft everyone said it's going to go (Brett) Deledio, (Ryan) Griffen, (Lance) Franklin, (Richard) Tambling, but because Hawthorn picked (Jarryd) Roughead at No.2 it threw it all on its ear.

"We don't know who Carlton are picking at No.4 and we don't know who Hawthorn are picking at No.3, so you've got to have a few options."

Collingwood's strategy is simple: pick the the most talented kid.

The Pies need midfielders and backmen, but if the next best player is a key forward then Collingwood will swoop.

"The strategy is you pick the best player, no matter if they're big, small, fat, skinny -- you just pick the best player," Swann said.

"If you fall into trying to pick a type of player and they're not quite good enough then you end up getting left with a bloke that doesn't actually help you and he can't play.

"You're better off picking the best player."

Swann says the quality of the top 10 would be high, and rated the 10-20 bracket as better than last year.

"This is the last of the priority picks in its current form and we're happy after a shocking season we've got picks two and five," he said.
Get me Shannon Hurn!!!!

.."The strategy is you pick the best player, no matter if they're big, small, fat, skinny -- you just pick the best player," Swann said.

"If you fall into trying to pick a type of player and they're not quite good enough then you end up getting left with a bloke that doesn't actually help you and he can't play.

"You're better off picking the best player.

Agree with swann here, with top 5 picks you must pick best avaliable

Fitzy said:
I think Ellis will still be there at 5, because IMO the scum will go for Dowler if Hurn is not available, and rumour has it that the Dawks will go for either Ryder/Kennedy as quoted in todays HS.

Buckenara has stated that if Ellis is still available at 3, they will take him.

FIGJAM said:
"The strategy is you pick the best player, no matter if they're big, small, fat, skinny -- you just pick the best player," Swann said.
Haven’t we been down the no matter if they are fat line? I’d love to know how he defines best to be honest before I knew if I agreed with him. Is a bloke who can get plenty of the ball and sponsors 3 African children but can’t kick to save himself in the running to be the best? Is a devloped kid the best - does best mean today, in 3 years or over 15 years? Makes a difference to who you'd pick.

What I want to see is draftees without flaws that some internet training report junkie can pick up the first time they see them train. History is littered with them and we have paid a heavy price. In the end it isn’t Swan’s methodology that matters most. It is the ability of the spotters. Hopefully the spotters who have failed in the past that are still on the payroll are ignored.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back