GRFL Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I must be honest and say that I’m not a fan of the NT recruiting
I’m with you. Used to work alright when players would move down to Victoria for the winter and contribute to the town/club. Now they fifo, put a massive strain on resources, and don’t really bring much to the town/club.

I’m with you. Used to work alright when players would move down to Victoria for the winter and contribute to the town/club. Now they fifo, put a massive strain on resources, and don’t really bring much to the town/club.

Reliability is an issue also..been plenty of instances of bloke “missing” flights etc.

I know recruiting is bloody tough these days but the NT strategy has to be last resort

Reliability is an issue also..been plenty of instances of bloke “missing” flights etc.

I know recruiting is bloody tough these days but the NT strategy has to be last resort
I’ve never really understood how it stacks up dollars wise either.

Flights + car + fuel + match payments surely adds up to $1,800+?

I would’ve thought you could lure premium country/metro players for that price or less, and for half the trouble.

Unless they move, majority are lucky to play 8-10 games. Even Arho from the Gold Coast was lucky to play that many. Some are worth it, some you're better throwing money out the window.

Unless they move, majority are lucky to play 8-10 games. Even Arho from the Gold Coast was lucky to play that many. Some are worth it, some you're better throwing money out the window.
It seems to work best for teams that are looking at finals to have players only playing 8 to 10 games. You can target the games you need them for to get you to finals and then have them for the finals at the end. I don’t see how it is worth it for a lower team that won’t beat the top sides even if they are playing.

It seems to work best for teams that are looking at finals to have players only playing 8 to 10 games. You can target the games you need them for to get you to finals and then have them for the finals at the end. I don’t see how it is worth it for a lower team that won’t beat the top sides even if they are playing.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. And I could be wrong, but its been some while since its been truly successful for a club to justify financial drain. By that I mean there hasn't been many that have truly lit the world on fire showing an obvious difference that couodve gone towards a Vic recruit/s that you're not paying flights for.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. And I could be wrong, but its been some while since its been truly successful for a club to justify financial drain. By that I mean there hasn't been many that have truly lit the world on fire showing an obvious difference that couodve gone towards a Vic recruit/s that you're not paying flights for.

Ouyen probably the most recent to make it work

The success of Nyah in 2000 was the first real instance of this recruiting in the cm and surrounds, Kerang followed this in the early to mid 2000's but as you say roota it hasnt transformed into success for that many clubs since. Wouldn't you better off recruiting from Melbourne, Bendigo or Geelong than up north?

Ouyen probably the most recent to make it work

The success of Nyah in 2000 was the first real instance of this recruiting in the cm and surrounds, Kerang followed this in the early to mid 2000's but as you say roota it hasnt transformed into success for that many clubs since. Wouldn't you better off recruiting from Melbourne, Bendigo or Geelong than up north?
I think the problem is there are about 50 clubs interested in players between here and there and it’s tough to get them to drive that extra 200km plus round trip every week. They would also likely have better links to leagues that are closer to them, that’s not a problem with blokes from up North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nyah did it back then but all of those blokes moved to the area and trained at the club and several of them stayed and made Swan Hill their home

Nyah did it back then but all of those blokes moved to the area and trained at the club and several of them stayed and made Swan Hill their home
I could be wrong but aren’t players from the NTFL only worth a point or 2 in our point system

The couple of blokes Lake Boga had last year were worth 3 points. Love to prove myself wrong
3 pointers.
Illet at Tongala was a 5 though and a little bit ripped off, played neafl which is 4.
Because of the whole permit thing they're exempt from club jumping. Not sure about the top 5 b&f point though, a few would've gone close

Attachments

• 20200225_233008.jpg
    20200225_233008.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 125
Another handy in for Quamby. Will be quite alright just quietly.
And league goalkickers wise, don't discount Butty and Montebruno, be a wicked 1-2 punch attack.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back