Other Gridiron DVDs, Books, Documentaries

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Can anyone recommend any decent books or DVDs(documentaries) on the NFL and how I can purchase them. I would especially be interested in (auto)biographies of the great quarterbacks or coaches. Cheers.

Re: DVDs or books

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780684870182/When-Pride-Still-Mattered <--- Vince Lombardi biography, of which there is a few

http://www.amazon.com/Gang-Green-Ir...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295849861&sr=1-3 <--- for J-E-T-S fans

http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Dent/e/B001IGV4KU/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1 <--- Jim Dent has written loads of football-related works, although he is now in prison!

just search Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, Book Depository ... there'll be loads of football books out there.

If you want stats , history of results , info on teams etc you cant go past this book which is commonly known as the bible.

The be all and end all of facts of figures from day dot to time of publication that has ended many arguments! :D

Must have for any NFL fan IMO and comes out every year with an update and the previous years Superbowl MVP graces the cover. Can be bought off Amazon/Ebay/Online every year or ask Woodson who usually does a group buy around release time every year.

51YO6Lu3L_SL500_AA300_.jpg

Has anyone read ?
More than a Game by Brian Billick and Michael MacCambridge

the Americas Game SB1-40 DVD set is worth owning, same if you find a "Greatest Games" of History of .... they are good i have them for the packers. the NFL Fact and rules books is also good i have the last 3 seasons and the 30 for 30 Docos the dvd's are on amazon or IQ them when they are on ESPNHD next time

Re: DVDs or Books

You can't go past, or go wrong with any of these three. And all three can be had for just over $100 total.

1. NFL Super Bowl I-XL Collectors Set - This is classic NFL Films. The inspiring classical music, deep toned narration, great camera angles and microphone work. Its not the actual super bowl game. Each episode is around 40 mins with 20 minutes being road to the super bowl, and 20 mins spent on the big game. A must have.

http://www.amazon.com/NFL-Super-Bowl-I-XL-Collectors/dp/B000EU1Q18/ref=pd_bxgy_d_text_b

2. NFL America's Game Super Bowl I-XL - Has been running on Foxtel and OneHD for the last couple of years. Gives a good insight into the inner workings of the Super Bowl champion from 3 contributors perspective. Complements the above well.

http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Game...HQW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295865726&sr=8-1

3. The Greatest NFL Players And Coaches - Title says it all

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-NFL-Players-Coaches/dp/B000H6SXNI/ref=pd_bxgy_d_text_c

Love watching the America's game episodes on one. Thought I would be bored watching the ones from the 60's but they are just as interesting. Looked at a few bookstore's for anything NFL-related but there was SFA, only thing that caught my eye was a book about Walter Payton which comes with a DVD. Might have to use the net to look for a few books. The last two years, Ive bought this magazine called Lindy's Pro Football, which is very useful. Read it nearly everyday but its only a mag so it doesnt have that much depth.

Boys Will Be Boys: The Glory Days and Party Nights of the Dallas Cowboys Dynasty

A look in to the Dallas Cowboys of the 90's.

pretty much everything by nfl films is great - americas game has been mentioned; the "nfl films present a history of..." are good too, having seen them for eagles and 49ers.

check out the espn 30 for 30 series. theres some great, great football ones there:

"the u" - the story of how one coach changed an entire cities outlook onthe issue of race at the university of miami in the 80s

"pony excess" - southern methodist university cheat and cheatand cheat, before the ncaa eventually hands down the death penalty for the smu program by the ncaa

"straight outta la" - this is by ice cube, and its the best sporting doco i've ever seen. tells the story of oaklands move to la, and the change in culture that ensued as the raiders would embrace the s**t out of certain elements of la culture

all these can be found for good prices on amazon

for eagles fans, theres a great doco called "e.a.g.l.e.s. the movie", telling the story of eagles fans in 2004. its great.

pretty much everything by nfl films is great - americas game has been mentioned; the "nfl films present a history of..." are good too, having seen them for eagles and 49ers.

check out the espn 30 for 30 series. theres some great, great football ones there:

"the u" - the story of how one coach changed an entire cities outlook onthe issue of race at the university of miami in the 80s

"pony excess" - southern methodist university cheat and cheatand cheat, before the ncaa eventually hands down the death penalty for the smu program by the ncaa

"straight outta la" - this is by ice cube, and its the best sporting doco i've ever seen. tells the story of oaklands move to la, and the change in culture that ensued as the raiders would embrace the s**t out of certain elements of la culture

all these can be found for good prices on amazon

for eagles fans, theres a great doco called "e.a.g.l.e.s. the movie", telling the story of eagles fans in 2004. its great.
30 for 30 is good especially the college ball ones "the best that never was" the story of Marcus Duprey one of the most recruited players in college ball, "run Ricky Run" was disappointing though.

"straight outta la" - this is by ice cube, and its the best sporting doco i've ever seen. tells the story of oaklands move to la, and the change in culture that ensued as the raiders would embrace the s**t out of certain elements of la culture.
The Raiders History and the 3 Bowls are worth watching too. I purchased from the Raiders site.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone want to trade for NFL or NCAA Football on DVD?

I'm looking for trade partners & have over 1000 games on my website www.allsportdvd.com - check it out or posts your wants/lists

MacCambridge has written quite a few football books, he was interviewed throughout the Full Colour Football documentary series on the AFL.

http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Will-Be-...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295853763&sr=1-4 <--- this is one I want to read as well, I imagine there is some mad tales in there.

Boys Will Be Boys: The Glory Days and Party Nights of the Dallas Cowboys Dynasty

A look in to the Dallas Cowboys of the 90's.

I just started reading this the other week. I'm about half way through and so far so good. I might change my tune though by the time I get to the downfall part ... There is also a hardcover version which has a different looking cover, but I opted for the original. It was ordered from the Book Depository and arrived in 7 days (I'm in Melbourne).

I thought it would have focused solely on the 90's Cowboys, but with the exception of the first chapter it basically starts back when Jerry bought the team and goes from there. Goes into quite alot of detail. But that's all i will say, so far it's great and recommended to others. Several pages of some great colour photos in the middle too

In all seriousness it's even good fun just browsing through the index and taking note of the people listed and in particular some of the associated sub-headings. Too funny

I also recommend the official NFL Rules 2010 gamebook below
Pretty self-explanatory, the Game action edition just means it's a bit more 'fun' and easier to read than a typical law text. Price: $10

zyepmt.jpg

That Belichick one sounds interesting. Will see if I can find a torrent for it.

In 1970 Ed Sabol convinced Kansas City Chiefs coach Hank Stram to wear a microphone during Super Bowl IV, and the result was an NFL Films documentary that gave fans an unprecedented look inside the mind of a coach. It took four decades, but NFL Films may have finally topped itself.

Bill Belichick: A Football Life, an NFL Films documentary that premieres on NFL Network at 9 p.m. Eastern Thursday, is structurally different from the Super Bowl IV video but similar in the level of insight it provides: Unless you’ve been on an NFL coaching staff, you haven’t seen an NFL coach like this before. During the 2009 season Belichick gave NFL Films access to everything — the locker room, the sideline, team meetings, discussions with Patriots owner Robert Kraft, quiet moments with Belichick’s son, everything — and the resulting documentary is quite extraordinary.

Among the most interesting moments are the ones when Belichick talks to or talks about opposing players. At one point during a Patriots-Ravens game, Baltimore receiver Derrick Mason approaches the New England sideline and says something to Belichick, to which Belichick replies, “Why don’t we talk after the game, alright? Just shut the f–k up.” But with footage from game-planning sessions, viewers can see how much Belichick respects certain opposing players, notably Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis and Ravens safety Ed Reed.

When Belichick gets angry on the sideline, it’s usually because something he addressed in those game-planning sessions doesn’t get executed properly on Sunday. Footage of Belichick telling his staff in a meeting that the defense has to be ready for passes to the Jets’ Jerricho Cotchery and Dustin Keller in the seam are interspersed with the Jets successfully passing to Cotchery and Keller in the seam.

“That’s two down the seam,” Belichick barks after the Jets’ big plays. “That’s what we were talking about all week.”

But Belichick is also surprisingly funny on the sidelines, ribbing Wes Welker about Julian Edelman becoming the Wally Pipp to Edelman’s Lou Gehrig (a reference Welker didn’t get), and telling officials who were wearing orange-striped AFL throwback uniforms, “You should have seen the s–t they tried to put me in.”

In a moment from 2009 that feels particularly compelling in light of the Patriots’ surprising decision in 2010 to trade Randy Moss, Belichick can be heard complaining to his coaching staff that the team’s wide receivers don’t have a strong enough work ethic. Belichick said he wished his receivers would have taken it upon themselves to stay after practice to do extra work with Tom Brady.

“Wednesday practice is over and where do the receivers go? Straight in,” Belichick said. “‘We’ve got it all down. We don’t need extra work.’ That sums it up for me.”

Not everything about Belichick is hard-nosed, however. Belichick is shown fighting back tears when he reminisces about his years as an assistant with the Giants, saying, “It’s hard not to get choked up about it.”

It’s hard not to love access like that. NFL Films delivered in a big way with Bill Belichick: A Football Life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back