Other Gridiron DVDs, Books, Documentaries

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
Trailer fro All or nothing, a season with Arizona. Its a new show on Amazon [dont think anyone in Australia have picked it up, so hopefully Gamepass]

It consists of 8 episodes each are one hour long, and narrated by John Hamm. It looks like Hard Knocks but the regular season and playoffs and not just pre-season/Training Camp

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Amy Trask has suggestion for title of Mike Pereira's new book: "It Was A Fumble"

By Levi Damien @LeviDamien on Jun 9, 2016, 12:11p

Former Raiders CEO Amy Trask and former NFL VP of officiating Mike Pereira both have books coming out. Trask's book "You Negotiate Like a Girl" as well as Pereira's book "After further review" will both be released on the same day -- September 15 (though Amazon is taking pre-orders right now). But today Trask gave Pereira a suggestion for a better title for his book: "It Was A Fumble".

She was joking, obviously, but perhaps his book will feature such a revelation.

Trask is speaking, of course, about the infamous Tuck Rule snow job which cost the Raiders a win over the Patriots in the 2001 playoffs in New England. Charles Woodson sacked Tom Brady who fumbled the ball. The play seemed pretty cut and dry, giving the Raiders the ball and essentially ending the game. But a call from upstairs suggested the Tuck Rule was in play.

First of all, no it wasn't. That was not a Tuck Rule situation. Brady pump faked before he was hit and fumbled it. Second of all, the Tuck Rule was a terrible and rarely used rule which for some ‘strange' reason was dug up and dusted off to hand the post 9/11 *Patriots* the game and send Al Davis's big bad Raiders packing.

It took the league over a decade later to finally remove the Tuck Rule from the books. They likely realized well before that it shouldn't have been a rule, but needed to wait a while to remove it. After Al Davis's passing helped them avoid too much friction in the rule's removal.

As fate would have it, 2001 was Pereira's first year as NFL Director of officiating, having been promoted from NFL supervisor of officiating. So, he knows very well what went down that fateful snowy night on January 19. I too remember full well. It was my Birthday.

Pereira responded to Trask's joke with a joke of his own that the two of them should have a joint book signing in Foxborough.

To which Trask politely declined.

I picture a lot of smiles with clinched teeth happening in this back and forth as I'm sure the kind of bad blood created by the shafting the Raiders got in that game never really clears.

These days Pereira is an analyst for Fox Sports so he isn't beholden to the NFL anymore. We'll see if his book offers any kind of mea culpa for that miscarriage of justice in Foxborough 15 years ago. Not that it would matter now.

Some interesting books in that list. That Bill Walsh book intrigues me, just to see what all the fuss is about.
I'm going to try and hunt down a copy of the David Harris book " The League, Inside the NFL". Love those behind the scenes type of reads.

The 30 for 30 on the XFL that was just on ESPN was great. It should be on ESPN again Sunday night

Recorded it, will watch tonight :)

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
Recorded it, will watch tonight :)

Surprisingly the Basketball game before the doco didnt run 20 mins over. so it started right at 1PM. Must be the first time a college basketball game didnt run 20 mins over the 2hr broadcast window.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wade Phillips kicked officiating crew out of Bills’ facility over Music City Miracle
Posted by Mike Florio on June 4, 2017, 11:54 AM EDT
i-e1496591191584.jpeg
Getty Images
The new Wade Phillips book, Son of Bum, contains plenty of stories from decades of NFL experience. One story relates to the aftermath of the last time the Bills played in the postseason.

In the offseason following a loss to the Titans as a result of the notorious Music City Miracle, an officiating crew traveled to Buffalo to review with Phillips and his staff the rule changes for the coming season. The presentation included video of certain plays from the prior year, with an explanation as to why certain calls were or weren’t made.

“All of a sudden, one of the first plays to appear on the screen was the Music City Mistake,” Phillips writes. “They didn’t just show the play, but they also said it was an example of ‘why we’ve got good officiating’ in the NFL. I couldn’t believe it. None of us could. . . .

“That really made me mad. Every coach in that room was fuming. As far as I was concerned, our meeting was over. ‘Turn it off!’ I said. ‘We don’t want to see that. First of all, it’s wrong. And for your to sit there and say it’s right is wrong. You need to get out of here right now.'”

And they did.

Phillips, by the way, takes responsibility for authorizing a “bloop” kick in that spot without clarifying that the ball should be kicked toward the sideline and not down the middle of the field. He also admits to not having a good plan for the situation, and for not being properly prepared.

But he still insists that Titans tight end Frank Wycheck threw an illegal forward pass, and Phillips contends that the officials didn’t overrule the call on the field via replay review because “[t]hey probably thought they would have gotten lynched” by a hostile crowd in Nashville.

The real hostility came later, when the seemingly mild-mannered Phillips ejected league officials who had engaged in even worse planning and preparation than Phillips and the Bills had.

Son of Bum, written by Phillips with Vic Carucci, is available at Amazon and elsewhere.

budge27

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Redskins, Northwestern, Dodgers
Did anyone catch the segment on the NFL preview show last night about the bloke who tried to steal Vince Lombardi's beanie after the historic Ice Bowl game between GB and Dallas ? Pretty funny stuff !!

After going thru archival footage the NFL had the whole thing on camera - the bloke climbed the fence, joined the huddle and even listened to the last time out talk that Lombardi gave before the Packers won the game before then swiping his hat and then had Lombardi chase him down and he grabbed it back.

The hat thief bloke is a legend to his grandkids now though!

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
71psRlj8MLL-203x300.jpg

Take a peak behind the Silver Curtain with Jon Kingdon, co-author of “Behind the Raiders Shield,” which discusses the highly shrouded culture of the Oakland Raiders.

In his new book co-authored by Bruce Kebric and Steve Corkran, Jon reveals much of what went on behind the scenes in his years with the Raiders franchise. Because Jon spent a considerable amount of time working alongside Al Davis as well as the other members of the Raiders, he has a tremendous amount of insider knowledge to share.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Re: DVDs or books

If you want stats , history of results , info on teams etc you cant go past this book which is commonly known as the bible.

The be all and end all of facts of figures from day dot to time of publication that has ended many arguments! :D

Must have for any NFL fan IMO and comes out every year with an update and the previous years Superbowl MVP graces the cover. Can be bought off Amazon/Ebay/Online every year or ask Woodson who usually does a group buy around release time every year.

51YO6Lu3L_SL500_AA300_.jpg
What is this book? I feel like I need it haha.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Well that’s annoying, I would have preferred a physical copy. Digital copy worth getting still?

Never downloaded it TBH!

I have every hard copy from 2009 through to 2014 as 2015 was when it went digital print only from memory.

Fantastic book.

Back