Vic "Gridlock" Dan Andrews

Remove this Banner Ad

1) Federal issue
2) 457's were introduced by Howard and cut back on significantly under Turnbull
3) Construction 457s only account for less than 2500 jobs country wide
4) Local job quota as part of law (Local Jobs First Act 2003, then amended again in 2018), with also the Major Project Skills Guarantee (which again is law) with minimun 10% has to be local apprentices and cadets.
5) Strong union sites - not many o/s unskilled there

Point of order. He said unskilled. 457s were for businesses who couldn't source local skills aren't they?

Point of order. He said unskilled. 457s were for businesses who couldn't source local skills aren't they?

Precisely. They're skilled workers with qualifications on those jobs. It's not 1975 where you walk up to the job site with a mate, they're multi-billion dollar PPPs run by huge companies.

And this claim made has absolutely no substance or backing, just a hunch.

And as noted, the 457 is no longer a thing.

They're all strong CFMEU sites as well - why would they be filled with o/s workers? Whole thing is a racist smokescreen cause old mate got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Mernda train expansion was one of two (Sunbury line) since the City Loop was built. We managed a freeway a decade in the last 30 or 40 years.

There is gridlock because we're behind, MILES behind. Both sides have failed on this since Hamer.

Precisely. They're skilled workers with qualifications on those jobs. It's not 1975 where you walk up to the job site with a mate, they're multi-billion dollar PPPs run by huge companies.

And this claim made has absolutely no substance or backing, just a hunch.

And as noted, the 457 is no longer a thing.

They're all strong CFMEU sites as well - why would they be filled with o/s workers? Whole thing is a racist smokescreen cause old mate got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Mernda train expansion was one of two (Sunbury line) since the City Loop was built. We managed a freeway a decade in the last 30 or 40 years.

There is gridlock because we're behind, MILES behind. Both sides have failed on this since Hamer.
If there is an issue with an influx of unskilled work, I think we should be looking at international students working when they aren't supposed to.

I didn't say they weren't allowed to work at all, I said working when they aren't supposed to.

I rate international students as some of the most motivated people in the nation.
They're effectively subsidising Australian university students by paying 3x or 4x the unit fees Australian students pay.
They're our this biggest industry behind exports of coal and iron ore.

They're effectively subsidising Australian university students by paying 3x or 4x the unit fees Australian students pay.
They're our this biggest industry behind exports of coal and iron ore.
The international students are outstanding and there's nothing in what I'm saying that should be taken as invalidating their presence here.

I'm aware of what they do. You could've said that to begin with rather than being ambiguous, again.
And you could have mentioned delivery and transport employment outside of conditions when you said they are allowed to work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't mind a class in obfuscation, if you're interested in teaching?
Here is a lesson for you and anyone else reading.

If you walk into a burger shop expecting chicken nuggets, are given the best burger in the world and eat it but were so fixed on your nuggets that the burger is not good to you - then you shot yourself in the foot.

That is what happens when you go into a discussion expecting people to be sitting on the map right where you put them.

hilarious thread
This and the Australia Day Treason list are two of the more remarkable self owns.
Ahh the internet, where experts and facts are always wrong cos... they are.
“I call bullshit. Prove it.”
“Here you go, read this peer reviewed source.”
“Report is corrupt bullshit. It doesn’t suit MY hypothesis!”
*Rinse and repeat*

Gridlock is partly due to the laziness of those people who simply just drive to work in the city because they feel they are entitled to do so.

The amount of people I see driving into the city on their own (no such thing as carpooling for many) and then paying through the nose for the parking available in the city is ridiculous.

You should only drive to and park in the city if you have no choice but to do so. There are other options.

Gridlock is partly due to the laziness of those people who simply just drive to work in the city because they feel they are entitled to do so.

The amount of people I see driving into the city on their own (no such thing as carpooling for many) and then paying through the nose for the parking available in the city is ridiculous.

You should only drive to and park in the city if you have no choice but to do so. There are other options.

How about you shove your personal politics up your clacker and let people make their own choices?

How about you shove your personal politics up your clacker and let people make their own choices?

Hardly personal politics. It's common sense.

Personally I take public transport. Happy to.

Here's an economic way to justify that decision. Parking on the street in the CBD is $7 an hour. The big car parks charge bucketloads for all day parking. Compare that to Myki which is $9 a day for anyone living in most suburbs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back