Opinion Griffin Logue, Moving Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

My enduring memory of Logue the defender was a strong third man up contest. Huge leap over the pack. Looked a million bucks. Only issue was he didn't know whether to mark or spoil. Last second he decided spoil and instead of killing the ball over the boundary it dropped into the lap of the opposition small forward a metre away who kicked a goal 15 out.

We won't get much for Logue who we used pick 8 for and we will pay a heap in picks and money for Jackson.
I have posted this before and will post this again. The Logue situation is an example on why free agency should go down to 6 years or even 5 years.

Logue was pick 8 in 2016 draft. We put 6 years of experience and development on him. Sure the 1st 3 or 4 years he was injury prone. But last season and this season, he has played at least 20 games each.

Junior Rioli wants to head to port and he is from that 2016 draft with Logue, Cox and Darcy. Pick 25 to be exact. Sure he had his drug ban. But he has his fair amount of games in 6 years.

Now Port Adelaide wants to hand Rioli $600,000 a year for 4 years.

If Rioli at West coast was a freee agent and where the eagles finished this year on the ladder, they get an early 2nd round compo pick or pick 20-24.

I have posted this before and will post this again. The Logue situation is an example on why free agency should go down to 6 years or even 5 years.

Logue was pick 8 in 2016 draft. We put 6 years of experience and development on him. Sure the 1st 3 or 4 years he was injury prone. But last season and this season, he has played at least 20 games each.

He wouldn't be a pick 8 if that draft was redone now. Wouldn't even be top 20.

He left because he is a defender and a good one in that yet Freo wanted him to fill gaps and not play to his strength. He chopped Curnow one game. Then we low balled him and now if Pearce is injured we are *ed.

We really have screwed this up
Yeah the Freo board stuffed this up.

We low balled him. Had we handed him a 2 year deal at $500-$600,000 a year then he would of stayed.

He left because he is a defender and a good one in that yet Freo wanted him to fill gaps and not play to his strength. He chopped Curnow one game. Then we low balled him and now if Pearce is injured we are *ed.

Yeah the Freo board stuffed this up.

We low balled him. Had we handed him a 2 year deal at $500-$600,000 a year then he would of stayed.

No wonder

Freo need to be adequately compensated by North
We are gonna get unders for 2 reasons.

1. Key issue is he is out of contract.

2. Seems like north is the only one will want him.

North might offer pick 19 if they get that from the AFL. Or north are generous and hand over a future 2nd or future 3rd

You might be right. Could of got him between pick 21-30.

I'm not bitter we got him with that 1st pick.
It doesn't matter what pick he was drafted at - that's my point. We're looking at the player he is now, not what he could have been when he was drafted.
That he was a pick 8 back then only means something if he turned out to be an A grader, or at least a high B grader. The reality is that he's a C grader and we shouldn't expect a trade as if he was anything better.

With the length and value of contract North have offered to Logue, does anyone genuinely believe that the AFL would let them walk him through the PSD?

The Martin/GC comparison is different because GC's always flush with draft picks and didn't need what was offered so they chose to make a statement instead.

I'd expect the AFL to step in if North tried to take the PSD route.

With the length and value of contract North have offered to Logue, does anyone genuinely believe that the AFL would let them walk him through the PSD?

The Martin/GC comparison is different because GC's always flush with draft picks and didn't need what was offered so they chose to make a statement instead.

Especially if/once given a PP.

Freo would have a fairly good idea if north are going to get a PP, and possibly there’s a commitment already in place between the clubs

Freo can prob bend still and to avoid losing him for nothing - pay him what he’s asking for

What’s worse - losing for nothing

Paying overs short term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They will allow it, then change the rule so it doesn't happen next time,

You mean our initial offer to him should have been 2 years @ $500-600k a year? Why would you have paid Logue more than Cox or Serong?
I thought Cox and Serong are on $500,000 a year?

Cox is from that 2016 AFL draft. He usually signs on a new contract every 2 years.

Serong is from that 2019 draft with Henry and Hayden Young. Had a good 2020 and 2021 season. Signed until 2027 isn't he?

If Logue walks to the PSD that would take burning bridges to a whole new level - no way he comes back here from that. Colin Young will also be in a world of pain with Freo, too, you would think.
I got copped a fair bit for being negative and pessimistic when it came to the Adam cerra trade last season. When I feared that Carlton were gonna trade their pick 6 for Brisbane's picks 14 and 18 , then handed 18 to us.

I don't think Logue will go to PSD.

Worst case scenario is Logue goes to PSD north don't get him but goes to the 17th placed side. Yep I referred to the other WA team

Cox is from that 2016 AFL draft. He usually signs on a new contract every 2 years.

Serong is from that 2019 draft with Henry and Hayden Young. Had a good 2020 and 2021 season. Signed until 2027 isn't he?
Doubt it. Serong is ugly signed till 2023. Cox was a solid but not great player up until this year and he signed his contract at the start of the year so I don't think he'd be on more than 400k. Maybe all the interest from Adelaide pushed up his price but I highly doubt it.

But don’t north have 1st pick?
How much you worry about PSD comes down to your faith in humanity IMO. PSD requires both Logue and North to actively give zero shits about any relationship between us and them. North might not care (though they still paid for CCJ) but I'm positive Logue genuinely wouldnt do that to us and any agreement to join North came with an asterisk to not go PSD

But don’t north have 1st pick?
This season, north have pick 1, a couple of 4th rounders, 5th and 6th and 7th.

I posted this on the North board.

I see 3 outcomes that is likely to happen.

1. AFL hands North Melbourne pick 19 as a priority pick. (Possible)

2. North keeps pick 19. But offers either a future 2nd or future 3rd pick. (Likely) outcome.

3. Logue walks into PSD to join North or dare I even say it, the 17th placed side that is also based in the same state as Freo. (Hope not)

4. Freo gets creative. Offers an interesting trade like Logue and a future 3rd for North's pick 19 or 2023 2nd rounder.

If Logue walks to the PSD that would take burning bridges to a whole new level - no way he comes back here from that. Colin Young will also be in a world of pain with Freo, too, you would think.

Do you think Young actually cares? He's been acting like a prick for years and we haven't really done much about it.

Longmuir should be the one to start it off. Tell Chapman and Johnson... I am dropping him and you need to follow my lead.

Then we could wipe out his involvement with Freo fairly easily over the next several years. Lobb, Logue, Acres, Walters, Wilson, Hamling, Henry, Taberner, Colyer, Banfield, Western.

Taylor and Naughton are the only players he has from other clubs that would be of any interest. We should sound them out and if they have zero interest in coming to Freo, then it should be simple. Remove his clients from our list. None of that group in the paragraph above will be big losses or would be due for retirement (e.g. Hamling, Walters, Tabs).

I don't think Logue really will have much say in the matter either. I think we are relying on some goodwill from the North list manager. Maybe Bell's connection with North. Clarkson is a ruthless prick though, so if he is involved then we might be in trouble.

Do you think Young actually cares? He's been acting like a prick for years and we haven't really done much about it.

Longmuir should be the one to start it off. Tell Chapman and Johnson... I am dropping him and you need to follow my lead.

Then we could wipe out his involvement with Freo fairly easily over the next several years. Lobb, Logue,
I don't think Logue really will have much say in the matter either. I think we are relying on some goodwill from the North list manager. Maybe Bell's connection with North. Clarkson is a ruthless prick though, so if he is involved then we might be in trouble.
He does, he's got to sign the nomination forms and endorse the notional contract.

Doubt it. Serong is ugly signed till 2023. Cox was a solid but not great player up until this year and he signed his contract at the start of the year so I don't think he'd be on more than 400k. Maybe all the interest from Adelaide pushed up his price but I highly doubt it.
Actually it's the other 2019 draftee in Hayden Young that signed until 2027.

Geez. Young has very good confidence about freos future in playing finals after 2022.

I hope 🤞 Serong signs an extension until 2027 like Hayden young.

Yeah I thought Brennan Cox value might of jumped up to $500,000 a year in 2023-4 due to interest in both the crows and port.

I think Cox is on $350-$400,000 this season.

Serong is OOC next year. Cox is contracted through to 2024.

There are no media reports that they are on $500k/yr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back