Opinion Griffin Logue, Moving Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think so. If Serong was out of contract and heading to North we wouldn't get much more than a F2. It's the reality of trading with the bottom team.
Not really an apples for apples comparison. Serong is a high quality player and they would be bending over backwards to keep him.

I get a smidge frustrated at posters when they’re upset that the compensation is ‘unfair’ because he was a former top 10 pick.

The whole ‘he was a first rounder’ should really only apply for the first few years… that’s plenty of time to weigh up where a player falls in terms of trade worth.

Logue has had 6 years to show his worth. He’s done stuff all except for some brilliant shut down roles in the best forwards. He has little to no versatility. He’s a shut down defender albeit a very capable one.

A pick between 15-25 is his worth at best. That’s roughly what we’re going to get but sadly at the lower end of that scale.

A F2 would be around 20-25 with north.

Literally less than 6 months ago he was dropped twice and offered peanuts. He’s turned it around, but he’s still very much spudly in many aspects.

I’ll gladly take pick ~ 20 for him and move on.

I get a smidge frustrated at posters when they’re upset that the compensation is ‘unfair’ because he was a former top 10 pick.

The whole ‘he was a first rounder’ should really only apply for the first few years… that’s plenty of time to weigh up where a player falls in terms of trade worth.

Logue has had 6 years to show his worth. He’s done stuff all except for some brilliant shut down roles in the best forwards. He has little to no versatility. He’s a shut down defender albeit a very capable one.

A pick between 15-25 is his worth at best. That’s roughly what we’re going to get but sadly at the lower end of that scale.

Literally less than 6 months ago he was dropped twice and offered peanuts. He’s turned it around, but he’s still very much spudly in many aspects.

Inclined to agree. I also think some posters are overvaluing him based on his good attributes and ignoring the bad in a similar way many Melbourne posters value Jackson by the best of what he might become rather than factoring in downside risk.

Positives: Supreme athleticism, able to shut down key right down to small sized forwards. Good kicking action and kicks long, can bit part in the ruck and forward
Negatives: Decision making with ball in hand poor nullifying kicking, poor football nouse and almost total absence of go forward makes him a net negative on your transition, too short to play 1 key back, has to be no. 2.

Inclined to agree. I also think some posters are overvaluing him based on his good attributes and ignoring the bad in a similar way many Melbourne posters value Jackson by the best of what he might become rather than factoring in downside risk.

Positives: Supreme athleticism, able to shut down key right down to small sized forwards. Good kicking action and kicks long, can bit part in the ruck and forward
Negatives: Decision making with ball in hand poor nullifying kicking, poor football nouse and almost total absence of go forward makes him a net negative on your transition, too short to play 1 key back, has to be no. 2.

Yep. It’s his decision making that kills transition.

As a forward his mentality was to give it off EVERY time, which sometimes worked out well BUT there were so many opportunity for him to kick a goal and he didn’t.

He’s a shutdown key back. We have Pearce and Cox.

What we do with the pick is up to us, but I’m more than happy to roll the dice with a pick around 20 even if it gave us a 20% chance of finding a better player than Logue.

I agree on people bringing in his draft position, it was irrelevant 2 years ago. The nature of futures make that pick worth a lot less. Pick 20 this year, sure, that's very different to between 20 and 25 next year

I agree on people bringing in his draft position, it was irrelevant 2 years ago. The nature of futures make that pick worth a lot less. Pick 20 this year, sure, that's very different to between 20 and 25 next year

Also agree on future picks being worth less, but clubs are adept at using them well.

Not hard to envision a scenario where we rate someone highly from this draft. Gets to pick 25 and we start thinking about using the North F2 to trade into this years and grab the player we possibly rated 15-25 anyway.

Serious question

Can Griff chose to stay with Freo knowing what might potentially be happening with North Melbourne's coach etc

Serious question

Can Griff chose to stay with Freo knowing what might potentially be happening with North Melbourne's coach etc
You would think/hope yes, I don’t think it was an easy decision for him & the club has said as much, but Norf weren’t the only club chasing him so you would think he has other options than just coming ‘home’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Replace Chapman and Walker with Wilson and Logue and we in much the same spot.

It changes the team around. Logue doesn't use the ball anywhere near as well as Chapman or Walker and he doesn't provide the same drive off half-back, which is why he's not in our best 22.

It changes the team around. Logue doesn't use the ball anywhere near as well as Chapman or Walker and he doesn't provide the same drive off half-back, which is why he's not in our best 22.
Walker has been fumbling all year. Maybe he will sort that out next year but as it stands, that comment doesn't work. Both Walker and Logue can play lock down but Logue can play on taller blokes too. Walker is quicker but often the ball is left behind in the process.

I don't think the news changes anything at all with Tucker and Logue. They're clearly going for AFL playing time and money. Even with Clarkson no one would have been under any illusion that success was just around the corner at Norf (even though I actually quite like their young list).

Walker has been fumbling all year. Maybe he will sort that out next year but as it stands, that comment doesn't work. Both Walker and Logue can play lock down but Logue can play on taller blokes too. Walker is quicker but often the ball is left behind in the process.
Ultimately though, Walker's upside is much higher. Someone's mentioned Freddie's development; the kid is 19. He sorts the fumbling, adjusts to the speed and realises the time he has, he'll be a top-tier lockdown small with elite ability to break lines and deliver the pill.

He's already got a highlight reel of hitting leading forwards on the tit from 50 with low-flying darts, just needs consistency. Very few 30-odd gamers you don't need to say that about. He got overawed in the semi. He gets his head round it and uses it positively and he'll be a gun.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That is horrendous compensation for a 1st round pick.
Of course it is. Had Logue was contracted and had a year to run on his contract, we could of got pick 15-20 for him or pick 20-25.

Again, had north still had their 3rd rounder which would of been pick 37, I would of taken it. Yeah it's unders but better than nothing

Small point of difference but I doubt Clarkson's there when he starts, it'll be more does he want to go to a club without a coach
I think Clarkson would have been a massive drawcard - the opportunity to have one of the most successful coaches in the AFL. I don't think anybody would really want to go to a club they believe will be the worst in the AFL for years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back