Opinion Griffin Logue, Moving Forward

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
So this may be a bit of a provocative topic.

Logue is a swingman, but if he stays at Freo and the majority of his future is indeed going to be spent in the forward line, what type/level of player do you think Logue is capable of becoming? This is based on the assumption that he will complete future preseasons as a forward and will learn proper forward-craft.

I preface the following by acknowledging Logue hasn't really had the opportunity to give the forward role an extended crack to this point, but I was watching his game tonight and he reminds me of Chris Mayne during his last couple of years at Freo - a medium forward who puts on good defensive pressure, but has little offensive ability. His job at the moment is to bring the ball to ground and create opportunities for the smalls, which he's doing with a degree of success, but if he wants to make it as that medium forward/3rd tall who can swing back on the odd occasion when required, he's going to need to start kicking goals. His current output in the forward line isn't viable in the long term, especially when the whole forward line is struggling to score.

I think Logue's ceiling as a forward is in the vicinity of peak Chris Mayne (2012) but bigger, stronger and more aggressive. I don't think he's going to be an absolute star, but if he can be more consistent and pop up for one or two goals a game, apply defensive pressure and continue creating for the smalls, he'll be a nightmare matchup for opposition teams in the future.

So this may be a bit of a provocative topic.

Logue is a swingman, but if he stays at Freo and the majority of his future is indeed going to be spent in the forward line, what type/level of player do you think Logue is capable of becoming? This is based on the assumption that he will complete future preseasons as a forward and will learn proper forward-craft.

I preface the following by acknowledging Logue hasn't really had the opportunity to give the forward role an extended crack to this point, but I was watching his game tonight and he reminds me of Chris Mayne during his last couple of years at Freo - a medium forward who puts on good defensive pressure, but has little offensive ability. His job at the moment is to bring the ball to ground and create opportunities for the smalls, which he's doing with a degree of success, but if he wants to make it as that medium forward/3rd tall who can swing back on the odd occasion when required, he's going to need to start kicking goals. His current output in the forward line isn't viable in the long term, especially when the whole forward line is struggling to score.

I think Logue's ceiling as a forward is in the vicinity of peak Chris Mayne (2012) but bigger, stronger and more aggressive. I don't think he's going to be an absolute star, but if he can be more consistent and pop up for one or two goals a game, apply defensive pressure and continue creating for the smalls, he'll be a nightmare matchup for opposition teams in the future.
This sounds legitimately horrible.

Get rid of Pearce and play Logue back
Yep. Play Pearce forward instead.

At least if he stubs his kicks with his own foot again he might accidentally hit a teammate.

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can only assume they prefer Pearce for his height and probably leadership group status.

Maybe we can play Jackson at CHB next year :cool:

Can only assume they prefer Pearce for his height and probably leadership group status.

Maybe we can play Jackson at CHB next year :cool:
Definitely leads the back six in high five gets after goal haemorrhaging clangers.

Dayts

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
He’s got a bit of a Levi Casbolt thing going on. Great mits but can’t kick.. Way better on the ground tho.

Could be a Tim Membery type if he improves his kicking.
Can’t see it happening tho, seems to be coming from to far back and no feel for the position

But if the club's going to persist with the forward experiment, I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on the question.
The club needs a kick in the grundle.

King Huskii

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Posters crapping on about how Logue is turning into a good forward. He can't kick goals. He's horrible in front of goals and posters saying doesn't matter have misunderstood the key importance of playing forward.

He needs to play back. He has been very good down back athletic covering talls.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Thought he did well, considering. He’s a big brute, hard to push off.
Imagine being a forward in that woeful forward line. It’s like putting a band aid on a broken leg.
Logue isn’t a player that will back himself and just go bang. Always looking for a pass off. But perhaps in time with training he ll do that.

Pearce is an enigma. Logue is too short to play the main defender. Pearce can at least be lockdown which he did pretty well tonight. It’s the small forwards that have been killing us of late

King Huskii

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thought he did well, considering. He’s a big brute, hard to push off.
Imagine being a forward in that woeful forward line. It’s like putting a band aid on a broken leg.
Logue isn’t a player that will back himself and just go bang. Always looking for a pass off. But perhaps in time with training he ll do that.

Pearce is an enigma. Logue is too short to play the main defender. Pearce can at least be lockdown which he did pretty well tonight. It’s the small forwards that have been killing us of late

He couldn't kick a goal 15 metres out and failed to kick it over the man on the mark. If forwards can't kick goals from there then they are not forwards.

People are a little too generous towards players who play for the club. He's a backman and a decent one at that.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
I think it's an okay move until someone pushes him to the backline.

I'd rather have him there as a tall than another small.

That said I broadly agree and if Treacy or Amiss aren't better next year than his current output we are in strife.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cobbler thoughts mate

Let’s just call it as it is?

Firstly, I say this all with genuine respect. Logue has had a very good year especially when moved around and often last second.

He’s clearly been moved forward because he’s been awesome in defense and the selection panel ‘can’t drop him’. He’s not a forward, although he’s had some great moments forward, but he has the sense for goal that my kids have for brussel sprouts. Twice last night he bottled and if I’m being brutal even his pass to Frederick reeks of someone with no idea on goal kicking.

His run into goal to get chased down is embarrassing. For someone ‘athletic’ he shat the bed with eyes darting everywhere other than the massive opening between 2 big poles.

His ‘snap’ from 20m out was an effort Damien Hardwick would rip into kids at an U12 game if they did that.

He seems like a quality person. Seems loyal and wants to stay. I do think he’s got the footy IQ of a brick.

Our whole forward line is dysfunctional. He would be an interesting proposition in a functional one.

Ask yourself this. In a final 25m out directly in front and Logue has the ball. Thoughts?

There’s your answer.

Stinky Lomax

All Australian
Jul 11, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Treacy was showing any sort of consistent form, Logue wouldn’t have to play forward. Time to just play Treacy in any case as Logue is needed back on Naughton this week.

Back