Opinion Griffin Logue, Moving Forward

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
he'd have rocks in his head if he chose North on the assumption Clarkson would turn them into immediate challengers. I'd assume he's moving for (1) money and (2) job security/role, in either order, and not having a coach appointed yet wouldn't change either.
For sure. 700k for 5 years to play the position you're best at is going to be hard to turn down - regardless of coach.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
he'd have rocks in his head if he chose North on the assumption Clarkson would turn them into immediate challengers. I'd assume he's moving for (1) money and (2) job security/role, in either order, and not having a coach appointed yet wouldn't change either.

100% and you can't blame him.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
For sure. 700k for 5 years to play the position you're best at is going to be hard to turn down - regardless of coach.
Yep. You'd play for Pyongyang thirds if they're offering you that sort of money.

Unless that contract has been taken off the table, he's no less likely to want to go now than before.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I’d offer a slight improvement on our original offer and the guarantee of a backline spot. Chapman can move to a wing.

Replace Chapman and Walker with Wilson and Logue and we in much the same spot.

Chapman / Walker to rotate wing is decent.
I'm going to put in a good word in support of your application as Assistant Coach. That is exactly what we should be doing.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Your question is probably rhetorical but would any of Harmes, Spargo or Neal-Bullen win Melbourne a premiership? Probably not, but they all own a medal. Logue’s definitely good enough to play in a premiership side and I suspect there are more than a handful of AFL coaches that would see him as a very handy addition to their team. I think he’s a valuable player, for what it’s worth, and I don’t want to lose him.
Sure but I bet you Melbourne wouldn't pay 700k a year to keep Harmes, Spargo or Neal-Bullen. If that was the offer, they would shake their hand and wish them well.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Young connecting Logue’s love of Clarkson isn’t going to look good for him?
No, I laughed for about 5 minutes when I heard that.

Young is such a grub. I'd have a lot more respect for him if he just came out and told the truth.....I.e " the offer from North was too good to resist. Griffin has to consider his longer term future and all players have a limited amount of time in the game"

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
No, I laughed for about 5 minutes when I heard that.

Young is such a grub. I'd have a lot more respect for him if he just came out and told the truth.....I.e " the offer from North was too good to resist. Griffin has to consider his longer term future and all players have a limited amount of time in the game"
Annoying that Young got to go on trade radio the first morning and set the agenda for all his clients

Jul 20, 2018
Yeah but predictable. Every year you know that his clients are going to make up the bulk of trade week action, so he's your go to guy.

Also no doubt the camera crew would be there with him, attempting to save face from the s**t show he delivered last trade period

But yup, very predictable - day one setting the message. Contradicted himself a number of times - what I found interesting is even eastern state journalists are aware of him having an agenda against freo - Cal loosely brought it up but didn’t push it - prob due to him being a contact and didn’t want to burn any bridges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Annoying that Young got to go on trade radio the first morning and set the agenda for all his clients
Does any other player manager attempt to control the narrative as much as Colin Young?
He's outspoken about Lobb, Acres, Logue and Henry. Seems to me the east coast player managers seem to be equipped with a bit more emotional intelligence.

DocT

All Australian
Sep 4, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is sad - Griff has no joy, no mojo in this interview. Deep down he didn't want to go...

Wobbly Punt

All Australian
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not just deep down, it was always very near the surface he didn't want to go.

This is Young's doing, he got a bigger dividend from Logue's Roos deal and then used his biased influence to keep Griff on that track after the Clarkson crap came out. Griff was headed there mostly because Clarko offered him the chance to play fulltime down back and said he'd be an AA in 2 years under him. Logue bought that and its not unreasonable to believe it at all. However, its pretty clear Clarko won't be coaching next year and Young has spun garbage to all and sundry about that, including saying he believes Clarko will be at North before the end of trade period! Logue bought that too which meant Young could keep this deal because for him its the cash and sticking one to Freo.

With that said, Logue allowed Young to use the PSD as a lever to get a trade done quickly and on the cheap, in contrast to Jackson and his actions since he said he wanted out. For that reason alone Logue deserves no nostalgic affection from Freo fans in my opinion. He dogged the club on the way out.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Don't get how people can be mad at Griff.

He's not in our best backline; he won't play KPD ahead of Cox or Pearce and his footskills mean he's not able to play that third tall role. He's not in our best forwardline next year; are we really keeping him as a third tall when you have Amiss and Treacy in the wings.

If a club is willing to offer him several million dollars and the chance to play his best position why would he be a lesser person for taking it? AFL careers are short.

s_wd6

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't get how people can be mad at Griff.

He's not in our best backline; he won't play KPD ahead of Cox or Pearce and his footskills mean he's not able to play that third tall role. He's not in our best forwardline next year; are we really keeping him as a third tall when you have Amiss and Treacy in the wings.

If a club is willing to offer him several million dollars and the chance to play his best position why would he be a lesser person for taking it? AFL careers are short.
I don't get why people feel the need to defend every player leaving.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
To be continued in 3 years' time when Young starts agitating for another move.
Im curious about his 5 year deal.

Is it similar to Brad Hills at freo?

Front loaded? so $2.5 million over 5 years? So $700,000 in years one and 2, $500,000 for year 3, then $300,000 for years 4 and 5.

Back