Grigg & Houli Sign On

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're only players you'd keep if you expected to be playing deep into finals next 2-3 years.

These 'serviceable' types are only 'must keep' types when they contribute significantly to team morale and spirit. IMO, the most damning aspect regarding the recruitment of so many top-up players is that only Maric was a real leader whose commitment to the cause made his teammates walk taller.

Which, of course, begs the question, does having a plethora of 'hey!, turning up IS commitment!' seniors (like Grigg and Houli) do the opposite to a team's morale and commitment to the cause? Have a negative effect on the developing attitudes of young, developing players?

I would suggest it most certainly does and it's been a big mistake us going that route. Younger players just learn that if --> 'he' can get away with it that week, I can too. Or worse, they see seniors getting away with much less than 100%, then get called on 98% themselves.

A cadre of flaky, weak-willed senior players should be every club's nightmare scenario. If you take a few steps back and look through the history of the last 5-6 years, sure looks quite a lot like we deliberately set out to create exactly that.

They're only players you'd keep if you expected to be playing deep into finals next 2-3 years.

These 'serviceable' types are only 'must keep' types when they contribute significantly to team morale and spirit. IMO, the most damning aspect regarding the recruitment of so many top-up players is that only Maric was a real leader whose commitment to the cause made his teammates walk taller.

Which, of course, begs the question, does having a plethora of 'hey!, turning up IS commitment!' seniors (like Grigg and Houli) do the opposite to a team's morale and commitment to the cause? Have a negative effect on the developing attitudes of young, developing players?

I would suggest it most certainly does and it's been a big mistake us going that route. Younger players just learn that if --> 'he' can get away with it that week, I can too. Or worse, they see seniors getting away with much less than 100%, then get called on 98% themselves.

A cadre of flaky, weak-willed senior players should be every club's nightmare scenario. If you take a few steps back and look through the history of the last 5-6 years, sure looks quite a lot like we deliberately set out to create exactly that.
Great post. i find myself agreeing with many of your posts lately.
Thing talking of steps back we all need to take a good one and get rid of those flaky soft weak blokes who only play on their terms.
Simply put the club needs to become 100% professional instead of the 50% it currently goes at.

Great post. i find myself agreeing with many of your posts lately.
Thing talking of steps back we all need to take a good one and get rid of those flaky soft weak blokes who only play on their terms.

Yep, new coach with a 'seeya later' to every single one of the senior coasters is precisely the antidote the club needs.

You can't and won't go backwards for long when you keep identifying selfish players and asking them how and why they expect their teammates to put up with their bullshit. It's old-fashioned, but when I see a very recently retired player like Brown who still has infinite connections to the runnings of current football clubs saying the same thing, I don't think it's old-fashioned, I think it's timeless football wisdom.

Kinda like attack is the best form of defence and 99.9% of the time you'll be the last one hurt if you're the one who wants the ball the most. ;)

It's called timeless football wisdom for a reason.

Hardwick has flown in the face of timeless football wisdom from day one because he's way too full of Essendon, Port and Hawthorn FIGJAM to recognise that the simple fundamentals of football still exist and will always exist.

Failure to recognise those fundamentals has already decimated his reputation as a coach and football thinker beyond all repair, but still, even if he overturned his massive, stubborn ego and recognised it at this late stage, he's way too far gone in the opposite direction to turn things around over one pre-season.

What's he going to say? 'No coasters...and you blokes who I praised and coddled and said weren't coasters last year, well I changed my mind and you are - unacceptable!' :drunk:;)

where is our Vice Captain Ivan---?
Gave so much but has walked off a vfl ground in to dust without a single word from the club... Disgraceful-

where is our Vice Captain Ivan---?
Gave so much but has walked off a vfl ground in to dust without a single word from the club... Disgraceful-
Has he announced his retirement and we missed it?

Has been down for a few weeks now after a massive start to the year. Still is a walk up start for the 22 and will likely finish top 10 in the BnF

Titch on the other hand is starting to lose me...
Titch got 13 disposals at 30% DE with only four effective. Missed two sitters and a difficult one. Looked dangerous in patches , but his number has been up for a while now. I suspect they're coasting him to his 200th game. I said at the start of the year Bolton and co are sniffing for his spot.

Titch got 13 disposals at 30% DE with only four effective. Missed two sitters and a difficult one. Looked dangerous in patches , but his number has been up for a while now. I suspect they're coasting him to his 200th game. I said at the start of the year Bolton and co are sniffing for his spot.
lols.. you were mentionlng earlier how you could not vote as it would be unfair on the 17 that miss out and now your taking potshots again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lols.. you were mentionlng earlier how you could not vote as it would be unfair on the 17 that miss out and now your taking potshots again.
Quoting facts and stats of a player is not taking pot shots. Also I was quoting what I said earlier in the year. Why is it that I have to break down for you everything I quote in simple little fragments so that a five yo can understand? Are you really so naive that you cannot read posts or just plain lazy? Any intelligent being would know that for a list to improve then fringe players need pressure put upon them from a deep batting list. You should be seeing this as a great achievement and not a negative, but I suspect this maybe too complex for you.

Has been down for a few weeks now after a massive start to the year.

No, he wasn't "massive". Massive overrated and still a liability. He was at best ok by his own shitty standards. Grigg is literally the worst kick of the football in the AFL according to the official stats:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/1244ac1fcfe2c2833fe6a4f4d6a5392c

WORST KICK RATING 2017
KICK EXPECTED HIT RATING
Shaun Grigg Rich 164 43.6% 34.1% -9.5%
Patrick Dangerfield Geel 150 37.7% 28.7% -9.0%
Jack Crisp Coll 157 59.4% 53.5% -5.9%
Tom Rockliff BL 183 56.4% 50.8% -5.5%
Ollie Wines PA 164 42.2% 37.2% -5.0%
Josh Kelly GWS 175 47.1% 42.3% -4.8%
Luke McDonald NM 163 43.9% 39.3% -4.6%
Luke Shuey WC 165 52.4% 47.9% -4.6%
Lachie Weller Frem 169 47.7% 43.2% -4.5%
Josh P. Kennedy Syd 150 44.6% 40.7% -3.9%

The kicks that do go in the somewhat right direction come down with snow. The other players on the list are generally elite inside mids, who kick under pressure. Grigg had only 4 contested possessions yesterday. Soft, slow, terrible kick outside dud. Significantly hampering the team imo

Still is a walk up start for the 22 and will likely finish top 10 in the BnF

Grigg is not best 22

b and f doesn't mean anything

Titch on the other hand is starting to lose me...

titch is a level or two higher than grigg for mine

Last edited:

only in the last couple of months edwards has had some very good moments.

he "looks dangerous" because he is. Unlike grigg who is vastly inferior

Looks dangerous but can't kick a goal to save himself so by definition he is not dangerous at all.

No, he wasn't "massive". Massive overrated and still a liability. He was at best ok by his own shitty standards. Grigg is literally the worst kick of the football in the AFL according to the official stats:

The kicks that do go in the somewhat right direction come down with snow. The other players on the list are generally elite inside mids, who kick under pressure. Grigg had only 4 contested possessions yesterday. Soft, slow, terrible kick outside dud. Significantly hampering the team imo

Grigg is not best 22

b and f doesn't mean anything

titch is a level or two higher than grigg for mine

haha Keep venting if you must, but i can guarantee he's a lock for our 22 for at least the rest of this season regardless of what deficiencies he may have

yet another average performance from grigg

50% efficiency

not best 22 for mine
52% and Dusty 58%, Cotch 59% not best 22 either?

He also had 444 meters, 4th best on ground, 5 tackles, 21 pressure acts, 1 assist and 4 involvements. But you're correct, not best 22, he is in the best 10 so get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back