Sunday, May 4 – Murray Sports Complex, Townsville, QLD
Saturday, May 10 – Hay Park, Bunbury, WA

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was about to say it's s**t and how when I saw Cults they did nothing but complain about plane schedules, but Disclosure. Great catch, their sideshow'll be huge.

$100 and 4 hours travel to see some pretty vanilla local bands? No thanks.

None of the internationals really interest me, and I feel like it's desperately missing a headliner. The Presets are the only ones on the lineup that I haven't seen but would want to see.

None of the internationals really interest me, and I feel like it's desperately missing a headliner.

This. Might head along as it's in town (and there's not much else to do in Canberra then) but a pretty bland lineup. Parkway are generally really fun to see live, but the rest are pretty meh to me.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
$100 and 4 hours travel to see some pretty vanilla local bands? No thanks.

None of the internationals really interest me, and I feel like it's desperately missing a headliner. The Presets are the only ones on the lineup that I haven't seen but would want to see.

Dizzee Rascal is a little irrelevant, not sure how many he'll pull. His presence in Australia was never too big. Holy * and Cults are bands you'd get at 3pm at Splendour or Laneway. Action Bronson was here a little awhile ago, I swear, and seems a little too niche.

But weirdly enough, everyone is loving this lineup on my facebook feed. Baffling.

Funkunbunk

Draftee
Dec 20, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've always had a great day out at Groovin, so I'll probably end up going. Only really keen to see Bronson, Disclosure and the Presets. Should leave me with plenty of downtime to chase after birds though.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Dizzee Rascal is a little irrelevant, not sure how many he'll pull. His presence in Australia was never too big. Holy **** and Cults are bands you'd get at 3pm at Splendour or Laneway. Action Bronson was here a little awhile ago, I swear, and seems a little too niche.

But weirdly enough, everyone is loving this lineup on my facebook feed. Baffling.

Pretty much. Gone off the rails since his first LP.

Also keen to see Holy * at a sideshow but otherwise it's awful.

Has there ever been a decent GTM lineup?

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty much. Gone off the rails since his first LP.

Also keen to see Holy **** at a sideshow but otherwise it's awful.

Has there ever been a decent GTM lineup?

I've heard bands really hate the slog. They have to fly to a capital and then bus it to half the host towns. There aren't any coastal cities either, which is something overseas bands seem to love, and even if there were it's winter, so they don't enjoy where they go.

What's more astounding is how popular this thing is. I remember kids in school planning GTM before the line-out was up and spending all this petrol money to basically have a sober weekend while they struggled to find accommodation in the absolute shithole that is Bunbury (Busselton that hosts Falls-off-shoot Southbound is at least a nice looking town with beautiful beaches). Like sure, some people like 360, Pez, San Cisco, the Jezabels, British India, those bands that live off a country's festival circuit... but wouldn't you get to the point that it's like, well, we saw these bands at Big Day out six months. I don't get how it seems to avoid criticism and cynicism. Seriously beyond me.

I think in a way the fact that GTM is in more 'out of the way' towns/cities is part of its success. There isn't much to do in a lot of these places and not many 'big' bands will tour there so whatever chance people get to see some reasonably well known live bands, chill with some mates and have a good day out is something to look forward to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
Will be seeing Karnivool and Action Bronson for sure. Always a great weekend if you make something out of it. Sink piss on the friday night at the Naional Park, continue the festivities saturday night after the shows (y).

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
In 2009 I was working as a teacher aide in an English class with Year 12 students. The teacher was in her mid 50s and was teaching the Identity and Belonging topic. In an effort to try to convince the students that this topic was relevant to teenagers, she decided to talk about the Groovin' the Moo concert which was coming up that weekend in Bendigo. In her attempt to sound as though she was familiar with the festival, she referred to it as "Mooin' the Cow".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back