Review Grose, Bullshite & Useless v Kangaroos 2020...

Remove this Banner Ad

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Again, an injury prone kid in our system would be destroyed. I reckon his teammate Constable was a miss albeit later in the another draft.

Mind you Jones was coming off a big season in U18#, AA vice captain and starting midfielder and polled well in the TFL medal IIRC. He's got pace, he was a ball hunting junior and used the footy we'll even last season

Totally understandable we picked him, but his last 4 weeks have been woeful
He’s not “injury prone” at all. Played pretty much every game last year and this year got cleaned up by Grundy copping a dislocated shoulder which won’t need surgery.

Kid looks a star.

Anyway the good from this week end:

Yesterday my kid won school footy by 2 points and kicked the winner with under a minute to go.

Today his club team won by 1 point.

Bad

My nerves - need a Bex and a good lie down.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
I’m starting to have little faith in Nicks, our game plan us shocking. How many times did I see North open in the middle? Even if we had the ball there was no players inside 50.

Our team is way too tall and we look so slow.If he doesn’t show some balls in selection process, he won’t last long at all.

When we lost Pyke, I wish we went all out on Ratten.

I dont think that's Nicks in all honesty, thats just pure sh*t house effort from the players. That stuff wouldn't pass in U16s football, yet it happened multiple times in one game of 22 supposedly AFL players.

Im reserving my judgement on Nicks, not because I support the club no matter what happens and all that bull crap. Its just purely because the players are not buying in at all. You can have a bad game plan and bad skills, but you can ALWAYS bring effort to a contest.

We did against Essendon and despite the loss, the effort was there and you can acknowledge the position the clubs in at the moment.

That North game was just putrid, absolutely putrid. No excuses for that whatsoever. Who knows whats really going on down at the club right now, but the fact we refuse to run and before simple basics of any sport (not just AFL) is completely bewildering.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
McAdam is the LEAST of our problems.
He knows how to get his hands on it, and he knows how to take a good mark. We just have to close our eyes and pray for mercy to the footy gods whenever he's taking a set shot on goal.

He is, as you say though, far from the worst of our problems.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Also, as much as the jury is still out on Nicks... he isn’t afraid to try moves on match day which was always a weakness for Pyke and Craig.

I agree, but if the tactics are a major issue then it's not going to matter how often players are rotated through positions, it will just be like rearranging deck chairs.

Yesterday on numerous occasions I saw Jones with his back to the ball watching his player. From what I can tell Jones seems to be a naturally attacking player, if he's being instructed to play as defensive mid and it goes against his natural game then then that's a coaching issue.

I am not singling him out directly, but just highlighting one particular issue out of many I noticed yesterday.

I am trying to give Nicks the benefit of the doubt and understand that he is being hamstrung with the hand that he's been dealt, but I am starting to worry that there's no real blue print about how he wants us to play and what we're doing seems awfully reminiscent of the game plan that we were using last year.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
True... but he's done it repeatedly. Quite frankly, McAdam's kicking skills appear to be on par with ROB's - with both of them being lucky to hit the side of a barn from 3 feet away.
Think McAdam suffers from nerves ......he's still 100% better than Burton in his first season, literally couldn't hit the barn, nevermind the side of it

CrowCro

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2010
Underdale
AFL Club
Adelaide
My take on Jones is ..his body shape has changed so much in 12 months, added muscle & weight

Not sure he's adjusted to his new body yet .......give him another PS, I'm confident he'll be a great player for us
im not has no lateral vision and lateral movement is average. He just gets ball and runs in straight line. Secondly he is player watching..... go for the ball

I agree, but if the tactics are a major issue then it's not going to matter how often players are rotated through positions, it will just be like rearranging deck chairs.

Yesterday on numerous occasions I saw Jones with his back to the ball watching his player. From what I can tell Jones seems to be a naturally attacking player, if he's being instructed to play as defensive mid and it goes against his natural game then then that's a coaching issue.

I am not singling him out directly, but just highlighting one particular issue out of many I noticed yesterday.

I am trying to give Nicks the benefit of the doubt and understand that he is being hamstrung with the hand that he's been dealt, but I am starting to worry that there's no real blue print about how he wants us to play and what we're doing seems awfully reminiscent of the game plan that we were using last year.
I think I’m like you... giving him the benefit of the doubt. Liking some aspects (the trying moves, the fast ball movement at times) and not liking others (no midfield or forward structures And playing players out of position). The skills drop off is massively concerning for mine. I would like to see what he’s like with some good assistants around him, no interference from Roo et al. and some decent kids and jettisoned dead wood.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
im not has no lateral vision and lateral movement is average. He just gets ball and runs in straight line. Secondly he is player watching..... go for the ball

I think that's a coaching issue, he seems to be a naturally attacking player and playing defensively seems to not be his natural game.

When the coach is instructing our quickest mid to try and nullify his opponent rather than win the ball that is a massive red flag to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Our team is way too tall and we look so slow.
It's like there's someone of Knuckles' vintage on the selection committee who always pipes up with "the big blokes won't get any smaller as the game goes on" and we humour him by always including one more big man than we need

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Of course I'm right ......why else would you bring Strachan in over Frampton

You could tell after 5 min that Strachan was out of his depth ......they're assessing the list in match conditions, trialing players in diff roles ......Laird, Stengle, even Seeds at HF

But effort ...yeah that you can and should criticize ....that was pathetic
The lack of effort is what annoys me.

Have no issue with the club using this season to try things out. Which does seem to be the case yesterday, I hope.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Have no issue with the club using this season to try things out. Which does seem to be the case yesterday, I hope.

+1 .....Was disgusting ....I mean it looked like a trial match .....nah, that might be giving it too much credit

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
Iam not convinced, yet, that Nicks is the problem. I do agree that he needs better support around him. So that gives him some leeway when it comes to game plan. What I would like to know though what is his involvement with team selection. Is he driving the recent changes or is it being forced on him. Or as someone else has stated are some of the changes being influenced by the AFL who might be threatening @tanking@ on the team. We dont know what is happening inside of the club.

I find it hard to believe that Nicks, who strikes me as a knowledgeable guy who understand footy, can not see that players like Himmelberg, MacKay Atkins, Gibbs (and I have missed others) are not giving us anything. OK we have played them now move them on. Get back to playing the youth because most of the youth are at worst equal to some of these so called experienced guys and in most cases better and developing.

Sack Chapman

All Australian
Mar 21, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Bays
Nothing is more certain
Bickley is so badly compromised it’s not funny. There’s a lot of “back in the off field team”..,.”have faith”...“ how dare you novices judge them”..It is horrendous how much ex-afc players put the interest of individuals ahead of the long term good of the club. It’s a boys club now completely out of control.

Mar 26, 2015
The Land of Apricot Slice
AFL Club
Adelaide

I'm not sure if yesterday was "let's try something different" or if they just hit the "randomise" button with the magnets.

Mar 26, 2015
The Land of Apricot Slice
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bickley is so badly compromised it’s not funny. There’s a lot of “back in the off field team”..,.”have faith”...“ how dare you novices judge them”..It is horrendous how much ex-afc players put the interest of individuals ahead of the long term good of the club. It’s a boys club now completely out of control.
Loves to pull out making the gf in 2017.

That's 4 seasons ago now.

We dined out on 97,98 for 20 years, might as well drag out the 2017 gf appearance as an excuse for not doing anything for 10 years.

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nothing wrong with the list, two years in .....yes missing a quality Ruckman, ROB isn't the answer as #1 Ruck

But you had so much experimentation going on yesterday .....the players could see it too, that the club wasn't playing to win .....so they responded accordingly

Strachan, Gibbs, Kelly, Knight gonesky .......surely there can't be any argument now about the fact Matt Crouch simply has to be jettisoned ASAP ......that play where the North guy ran away laughing at Matt was truly embarrassing AND Typical

Poholke we can say has had his papers stamped

But lets look at the positives;
1. I liked seeing Laird in the middle, it's where he played B4 being recruited

2. Two weeks having Stengle for periods in the midfield ......IF he could get fit enough, elite in close qtrs & escaping stoppages.

3. McAsey, McPherson, Hamill, McAdam all positive additions

4. Have faith in Jones, Ned, and Milera .....they'll come good

Goes without saying, our midfield simply makes the rest of our team look worse than they are .......fix that first, the Crows have always had elite midfields ....except since Roo / Goody retired

Soft positives for mine.

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is absolutely true ......but with so many kids, obviously not up to AFL fitness year 1 ......and the addition of a huge gap between R1 and R2 ......it's pretty obvious that this team would struggle for fitness

The gap will get worse now with 4 day breaks .......not the clubs fault, the Covid simply came at the wrong time for a club with so much youth on the rebuild

Really ? so we were on track if not for Covid ? ?

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm not sure if yesterday was "let's try something different" or if they just hit the "randomise" button with the magnets.

I suspect that the changes had no real method or meaning behind him other than lets put x in position y and see what happens.

I hope that's not true, but the longer this goes on the more and more concerned I am getting.

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Iam not convinced, yet, that Nicks is the problem. I do agree that he needs better support around him. So that gives him some leeway when it comes to game plan. What I would like to know though what is his involvement with team selection. Is he driving the recent changes or is it being forced on him. Or as someone else has stated are some of the changes being influenced by the AFL who might be threatening @tanking@ on the team. We dont know what is happening inside of the club.

I find it hard to believe that Nicks, who strikes me as a knowledgeable guy who understand footy, can not see that players like Himmelberg, MacKay Atkins, Gibbs (and I have missed others) are not giving us anything. OK we have played them now move them on. Get back to playing the youth because most of the youth are at worst equal to some of these so called experienced guys and in most cases better and developing.

How can a guy like Nicks with so much football background not be aware of what players like MacKay and Atkins etc are all about ? He's been in the upper levels of coaching for years ? This amazes me. Do we step back to square one with each new appoint,ment ? Give me strength...........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back