Review Grose, Bullshite & Useless v Kangaroos 2020...

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect that the changes had no real method or meaning behind him other than lets put x in position y and see what happens.

I hope that's not true, but the longer this goes on the more and more concerned I am getting.
Also, why are we trying positional changes like moving a struggling Laird from the start of games?

Thanks to list mismanagement and continuity we dont have that important mid tier group of players, essentially under 50 gamers or over 150 gamers.

Big shoutout to Fagan for gifting us the absolute worst footy department in the land. This coaching group is a diabolical.

Any reference to AFC's high performance team is just an oxymoron.

Easy to look back at that draft with hindsight, but we could have 2 of Duursma, Hately, Butters, Caldwell instead of Chayce and Ned.
Glad we did not get Duursma. Could not handle that arrow s**t! Hately and Caldwell would have been nice. Let's just hope Chayce and Ned are late bloomers.

Exactly right, this is what we need, the positive signs. Who is doing what and where so that there’s something to build on.

McAdam looked good and will be even better with a decent forward line around him. He’s got a good overhead mark and 2.2 isn’t bad for a first year AFL player.

Stengle has real speed and evasiveness which seems more effective around the middle of the ground than up forward. You could even have him play that Charlie Cameron role of running off the back of the square, not allowed I know but have him on the back end of the wing hitting the contest at speed

Any rebuild needs to find the green shoots and nurture them, small though they may be

Totally agree. The real positives are McAdam, Hamill, McPherson and McAsey.

Can anyone please answer why Fog was named emergency and spoke about playing Wednesday night - we lose Tex and then we throw Strachan in??

WTF

We have been woeful up forward so lets throw in a 1st gamer ruck

TANKING
Don't know if this has been covered but C7 news just reported that we put Fog as emergency so he can participate in contact training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can a guy like Nicks with so much football background not be aware of what players like MacKay and Atkins etc are all about ? He's been in the upper levels of coaching for years ? This amazes me. Do we step back to square one with each new appoint,ment ? Give me strength...........
Nicks doing oppo analysis for Port and GWS

''yeah look Mackay is a good link up player but he doesnt hurt you , he gives his all but can get knocked over by a breeze , keep an eye on him but he isnt a matchwinner ''

''Atkins can get the ball when fed it on the outside but starve him and he will go missing for a lot of the game , cant tackle wont tackle , run at him to create space over the back for the run on player''

Yesterday on numerous occasions I saw Jones with his back to the ball watching his player. From what I can tell Jones seems to be a naturally attacking player, if he's being instructed to play as defensive mid and it goes against his natural game then then that's a coaching issue.
This! ... is a waste of a good young player.
I'd prefer Nicks to tell him directly to back his instincts, get the ball, attack, and let the opposition worry about him, not vice versa. The best way to stop your direct opponent from getting the ball is to get it first, surely?
(Along the lines of the Leigh Matthews adage: when asked why his tackle count was so low, he used to say with a big smile that if you have the ball, you don't need to tackle!)

Have no issue with the club using this season to try things out. Which does seem to be the case yesterday, I hope.
With respect, I think you and WaynesWorld19 are giving Nicks et al credit for being smarter than they are.
Laird as a mid? OK, good move as it turns out, although I loved his previously attacking, rebounding game when he was AA level.
Jones at HF? No. He's not a HF flanker, he's an attacking mid. Let another Crows player TAG Jones' bloke and set Jones free and make one of theirs watch him, defensively. Tell Jones to play his natural game --- PLEASE --- that's when he plays his best.
Hamill on a wing? No, no, NO. He looks so good at HB, attacks the ball, runs, looks upfield (OK, his delivery needs work but he's wasted on a wing, especially to accommodate Gibbs/Mackay). Playing a youngster out-of-position to fit in over-the-hill senior hacks is diabolical coaching.
Awful.
The Crows got what we all expected from Gibbs and Mackay yesterday --- nothing --- with the added spirit-crushing 'bonus' of getting zip out of Jones after half-time.

As for Strachan :rolleyes: ... *lost for words*

Bay62 said:" McAdam looked good and will be even better with a decent forward line around him. He’s got a good overhead mark and 2.2 isn’t bad for a first year AFL player. "
+
Totally agree. The real positives are McAdam, Hamill, McPherson and McAsey.
Am really impressed by Hamill, McPherson and Keays, but he's not a rookie.
I'm still not sold on McAdam (or Stengle, for that matter).
In consecutive weeks, McAdam has marked, only to miss the 30-odd-m. shot after which the opposition has swept downfield for a 2-goal turnaround. He's 25, not a kid.
Why don't we judge these players on their actual effectiveness? If the good/bad is break even then their nett effect is zero, which is Mackay-level achievement.
Maybe 2.2 isn't bad, but 3.1 or even 4.0 is so much better (more good than not), impacts the game, and can lift the team.

The Crows don't need "isn't bad", which also means "isn't good". It's a further acceptance of mediocrity which has got them nowhere.

Nicks doing oppo analysis for Port and GWS

''yeah look Mackay is a good link up player but he doesnt hurt you , he gives his all but can get knocked over by a breeze , keep an eye on him but he isnt a matchwinner ''

''Atkins can get the ball when fed it on the outside but starve him and he will go missing for a lot of the game , cant tackle wont tackle , run at him to create space over the back for the run on player''
... and now they are Nicks' problem, for which he has shown no solution.

With respect, I think you and WaynesWorld19 are giving Nicks et al credit for being smarter than they are.
Laird as a mid? OK, good move as it turns out, although I loved his previously attacking, rebounding game when he was AA level.
Jones at HF? No. He's not a HF flanker, he's an attacking mid. Let another Crows player TAG Jones' bloke and set Jones free and make one of theirs watch him, defensively. Tell Jones to play his natural game --- PLEASE --- that's when he plays his best.
Hamill on a wing? No, no, NO. He looks so good at HB, attacks the ball, runs, looks upfield (OK, his delivery needs work but he's wasted on a wing, especially to accommodate Gibbs/Mackay). Playing a youngster out-of-position to fit in over-the-hill senior hacks is diabolical coaching.
Awful.
The Crows got what we all expected from Gibbs and Mackay yesterday --- nothing --- with the added spirit-crushing 'bonus' of getting zip out of Jones after half-time.

As for Strachan :rolleyes: ... *lost for words*
Don't misunderstand, these all weren't final placements i.e Jones at HHF ......they are experiments

If Stengle, Keayes, and Laird are in the midfield, Crouch and Jones have to play somewhere or sit on the bench .....they're simply trying different positional moves

McAsey fwd was one of those experiments ......that worked, and I thought Laird in the midfield was far more effective than M.Crouch .....at least Laird was tackling & applying pressure

But also these experimental moves also unbalance the side

I find it hilarious that in previous seasons (decade) there's been a lot of chat on this board about the need to bottom out ....the need to try players in new positions

It just goes to show it's a lot of hot air ....as soon as we do it, all hell breaks loose from the very posters that have always advocated we bottom out ....LOL

Still, this does not negate the basic principle of gameday effort ......I can accept the 7 players we had with sub 20 games of experience running out of gas .....I cannot accept players like Crouch & Atkins putting in no effort ....should I say token effort

Don't misunderstand, these all weren't final placements i.e Jones at HHF ......they are experiments

If Stengle, Keayes, and Laird are in the midfield, Crouch and Jones have to play somewhere or sit on the bench .....they're simply trying different positional moves

McAsey fwd was one of those experiments ......that worked, and I thought Laird in the midfield was far more effective than M.Crouch .....at least Laird was tackling & applying pressure

But also these experimental moves also unbalance the side

I find it hilarious that in previous seasons (decade) there's been a lot of chat on this board about the need to bottom out ....the need to try players in new positions

It just goes to show it's a lot of hot air ....as soon as we do it, all hell breaks loose from the very posters that have always advocated we bottom out ....LOL

Still, this does not negate the basic principle of gameday effort ......I can accept the 7 players we had with sub 20 games of experience running out of gas .....I cannot accept players like Crouch & Atkins putting in no effort ....should I say token effort

Utterly Alicia Silverstone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back