Autopsy Groundhog Day - Freo 53 def by Hawks 84 at Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that was the straw that pushed me over the "dump Ross" threshold - the group has shades of late-2011 Harvey written all over it. Coach in self-preservation mode, players look like they've got no idea what they're doing out there, but superhuman efforts from Fyfe/Hill/Walters are (occasionaly) papering over the cracks.

Despite skills and goalkicking being at the heart of all of our losses this year, I've now got zero confidence the players or the coaches see it as something they're going to put any effort into improving.

I heard in the 2013 grand final Peter Sumich told them how to kick the goals an where to kick but Ross would not listen
When the eagles won in 2006 peter Sumich was beside Worsfold and Worsfold listened to him
The reason Peter Sumich left Fremantle was because of Ross Lyon

We also apparently had the opportunity for a quick kick on the ground the day before which Ross rejected. I have no doubt Sumich contributed a fair bit to the Eagles flag in 06 and tried his guts out for us in 2015 too. I know for fact that he was frustrated at the lack of inclusion and consulting that Ross had from his assistants. They were purely there to execute and communicate his instructions, nothing else.

This pretty much sums up the whole game in 6 seconds.

Ha ha, that's an hilarious gif :D... pity it's the team I support :(

The dumbest thing about that, is he has Brayshaw on for the handball which just gets everybody out of trouble. In another moment, a player will handball to a teammate with oppo player all over him for no value - it's that lack of decision making ability which is driving us poor fans up the wall at the moment.

Last edited:
We need Sandilands to go 1 on 1 with Darcy to show him how to put the ball anywhere else other then at his feet every damn time. Darcy is looking promising though, needs a big preseason next year to get his fitness up though.

We need Sandilands to go 1 on 1 with Darcy to show him how to put the ball anywhere else other then at his feet every damn time. Darcy is looking promising though, needs a big preseason next year to get his fitness up though.
Sandilands has never been a creative ruck. His MO was to drop the ball at his feet for big midfielders to contest, it was a rarity for Sandi to tap to space. It's been effective because we've always had elite contested clearance midfielders (Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Barlow, etc).

Sandilands has been teaching Darcy 'our' way of rucking. Hence the lack of creativity.

Sandilands has never been a creative ruck. His MO was to drop the ball at his feet for big midfielders to contest, it was a rarity for Sandi to tap to space. It's been effective because we've always had elite contested clearance midfielders (Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Barlow, etc).

Sandilands has been teaching Darcy 'our' way of rucking. Hence the lack of creativity.
When I first saw big Sean at training back at Freo oval I was really impressed with his tap work. He seemed to have excellent manipulation of his hand and, with that, the ability to go to all points of the compass. He doesn’t seem to be using it.

Yeah agreed. I think that's just Darcy doing it Ross' way now. He likes us to control the situation and try to make it predictable for the mids.

For the most part it has been a very effective strategy for us with Sandi, whether Darcy can replicate over the long term is a big question. But it's just another way that we have perhaps sacrificed aggressive play for greater control.

[QUOTE="Unique Name, post: 61834144, member: 152723”]
But it's just another way that we have perhaps sacrificed aggressive play for greater control.
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, I am ready to see some different coaching. I want to see the player’s strengths used, if Sean has good tapwork let’s use it.

I also don’t understand why we have seen so little experimentation with structures over the last 3 years. We could have trialled some different tapwork and clearance approaches, but it seems chose not to.

[QUOTE="Unique Name, post: 61834144, member: 152723”]
But it's just another way that we have perhaps sacrificed aggressive play for greater control.

Gosh, I am ready to see some different coaching. I want to see the player’s strengths used, if Sean has good tapwork let’s use it.

I also don’t understand why we have seen so little experimentation with structures over the last 3 years. We could have trialled some different tapwork and clearance approaches, but it seems chose not to.
[/QUOTE]
I'm in your corner with this one DF...losing is one thing, but losing in the same boring and predictable way is soul crushing.
I won't bother repeating all of the ideas that have been floated on this board, and even if some of them are far fetched and not really practical, I'm sure some of them should at least be trialed. It's not like we're going to be placing a finals spot at risk or anything important.

assuming Hughes intelligently goes back gives himself space, kicks a percentage kick to a fwd half
Very funny - just like I assumed he would step backwards all of 50cm conceding a behind. Nope loves the kamikaze play on kick into the man or slam the banana kick OOF so that it heads almost at a right angle direction.

Very funny - just like I assumed he would step backwards all of 50cm conceding a behind. Nope loves the kamikaze play on kick into the man or slam the banana kick OOF so that it heads almost at a right angle direction.

That OOF was a brain fart of staggering proportions. Just panicked into stupidity. He doesn't have much of a threshold there to begin with, but up the pressure and the few working parts of his footy brain goes into meltdown.

That said, I've not given up on him yet. He's still young and can learn to get that sort of stuff out of his game - he does that an he's a useful player, we've seen lots of good things from him this season, it's just those moments are soo costly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That OOF was a brain fart of staggering proportions. Just panicked into stupidity. He doesn't have much of a threshold there to begin with, but up the pressure and the few working parts of his footy brain goes into meltdown.

That said, I've not given up on him yet. He's still young and can learn to get that sort of stuff out of his game - he does that an he's a useful player, we've seen lots of good things from him this season, it's just those moments are soo costly.
Neither. Feel like he, like Hogan, needs to work on his overthinking during the game. He reacts mentally. For some it’s natural for others just need instructing on how to play under pressure. If he gets that under control, he’s a damn handy player. That mark prior to the kick, was a beauty. Just need someone to tell him, back yourself. But with Freo performing poorly, he’s under pressure even more.

A similar player, Ibbotson had some moments. Great mark, great agility like Hughes. Both probe to silly decision making

Remove this Banner Ad

Back