Autopsy Groundhog Day - Freo 53 def by Hawks 84 at Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

So I've watched the 2nd qtr to see the Fyfe show, are any of the others worth watching?

Once upon a time I would religiously watch the replay even if I knew we'd been flogged, but I don't think I can muster that kind of enthusiasm for this team at the moment.

We have some good play early in the 3rd but struggle to convert. 1st and 4th just meh.

So I've watched the 2nd qtr to see the Fyfe show, are any of the others worth watching?

Once upon a time I would religiously watch the replay even if I knew we'd been flogged, but I don't think I can muster that kind of enthusiasm for this team at the moment.
Watch the third if you want to see a microcosm of our year.... ie you're a masochist!

This game was for me a great reflection of our year
- Rely far too much on too few players, and Fyfe is the only one who gives 100% every minute he is on the field. When Walters, Hill, Ryan, arent at thier best the drop off is far too steep.
-The players are too easily demoralized. When Geelong was great 2007-2011, you knew they would come at you all day, they f ed up, they never put thier heads down, they fought like spartans for 120 minutes, we are close to the opposite, bar Fyfe and Hamling. We are so far from greatness.
-Skills are terrible under pressure and in damp, wind etc. Fyfe excluded. This is NOT 100% talent, if you dont immerse yourself in the skills of your profession you will be 2nd rate. We need to be the hardest working on skills for several years to catch up with the rest of the comp, its horrible to watch.
- Not playing as a team, not looking out for each other, not leading to give the kicker options, its just disorganised and rabble like. It could be partly due to the young and inexperienced team, but there is very little unity or method to our game, you could see we tried to hit up targets but we had niether the skill or the organization to make it work.
-injuries dont help but they are not the core of the problem, tabs is a great mark and pierce is a great backman, but that only papers over these other issues imo.

Need to fully audit whats going wrong and how to rectify.
Rant over.

If memory serves me right, I'd recommend the 3rd quarter too. We dominated really and Hawks looked on the back foot. There's a fantastic defensive mark taken by Hughes on the wing at this point too ....

I strongly recommenced you stop your video right there, quietly walk away assuming Hughes intelligently goes back gives himself space, kicks a percentage kick to a fwd half that was actually looking Okish at that point. We manage a goal, Hawks buckle under scoreboard pressure, our momentum continues and we win our first ever Tasie game agains the Hawks.

Lets do a good/bad thing:

Super-Good:
- Fyfe, Fyfe and also that Fyfe bloke ... yes, he was so good it looked like there were 3 of him out there ... I wish.

Pretty-Good:
- Darcy: Good in the ruck and you can see his upside. He goes to the right places and plays pretty good in the contest, but he's got a ways to go. He needs a bigger tank and get just a bit more speed in his game. He will never be Grundy mobile, but he needs to be able to get to the drop when caught out etc. which he's struggling to do. But the signs are very good.
- BHill: He had a pretty good game, good control of the ball, work rate etc. all what you expect.
- Brayshaw had a good day. He's going to be alright, def can see that.
- SHill didn't get injured, I'll take that - but he's still a shell of his former self. Let's see how he pulls up
- Mentioned earlier, thought, for the most part our defensive shape was reasonably good. We were relatively hard to score against, that's something.

Concerning:
- Mundy was better this week, but he's still not where he was earlier in the year. Has no second effort to speak of at the moment, but was good at key points.
- Hamling: He was struggling after that knock. He and Ryan are the duct tape holding that backline together at the moment. Can't afford to lose him.
- Matera has lost that magic ability to convert. He's a small fwd with not too many other strings to his bow; he's not scoring and his lack of speed and defensive nous gets exposed. But I back him, he's still has genuine footy IQ, we can't afford to lower that rating in this team.

Bad:
- Langdon: Our better moments were when he didn't have ball in hand. We can't survive having only one functional wingman (BHill).
- Hughes: Don't know what to think of this guy. Has so many tools in the tool box, but guaranteed somewhere in the game to pull out the hammer and blindly throw it hard as he can at something that just needs a screwdriver.
- Cerra continues to underwhelm, but at least he wasn't being asked to underwhelm in the back half where it cost us dearly last week.

- The old chestnut of lots of inside 50s with no purpose, no poise and no chance of actually looking like scoring.

Last edited:
For me this one was lost mentally, a game of belief, and I think (like it or not) we did come into this a little mentally bruised.

Fyfe’s leadership in that 2nd quarter was superman like... and he bloody deserves to be Captain. Suddenly we had momentum when I’m sure that most of us thought the game was already gone. I’m not sure what they injected into him in that 5 minutes he was off but he singlehandedly came out and dragged us up off the floor and back into the game. Bloody champ!

And the players responded with some belief of their own - Mac’s goal a perfect example.

But that smother on Hugh’s. It was like someone snuffed out the candle and you could just sense we were going to pay right there - and we sure did. We needed to standup and put it behind us, but we didn’t and it got into their heads, it broke our momentum at a pivotal time and we never really got back into the game after that.

Had Hugh’s kick hit a target and we goal’d from that, I’d dare say this game would have had a completely different outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many times does Brad Hill have to get sucker punched in the back of the head before the umps notice?

Better effort this week but we were playing a team that expected a better effort this week. I remember thinking last week it's not very well Ross' fault if accuracy is 8% but I'm starting to figure it out. Still with regards to Ross (and I'm just a random Yank so give me time) I don't thinking not getting overly worked up is the same as a lack of urgency.

Thank god Fyfe is there to make the games worth watching.

Why do the afl keep on sending us to the Australian Alabama (*insert hillbilly joke here, wait i've got one, Ben Stratton must be a sandwish because he really looks in bread) ? Surely an other team from melbourne or sydney would be more suited for it travel wise. I swear they take us as a joke over there considering or record.

We are a team just as bad as Carlton, one superstar followed by 21 very average players. I think we just have to accept that or In 50s will always be shite no matter how much time goes past. It's is so frustrating to watch us dominate teritory for absolutely no results only to watch the other team score at the first opportunity they get.

Fyfe: We don't deserve you, may our lord and saviour lord Kepler forgive us for our sins of wasting such a talent. 10/10

B. Hill: Had bipolar kicking but still a good game from him. 8/10

Blakely-Mundy: Decent game from both, can't expect much more from a bloke who turns 34 next week and a building Bakely 7/10

Darcy-Lobb: Both played their roles, loved darcy crushing packs today but he has to get more involved in the game. Lobb seemed and bit down on confidence with his kicking. Good ruck combo thought 7/10

Brayshaw: His kicking is improving, saved us from some s**t kick ins at time, knocks the ball to advantage really well. 7/10

Ryan-Hamling: Decent game from them, but clearly they are not vocal enouth to organise a deffence to often strugle to know who was to fly for the ball. Man we are missing Pearce, he is the general in our defence. Hamling looked on one leg by the end of the game. 6.5/10

Conca: Nothing more than a footsoldier with questionable skills. 6/10

Walters: His diving antiques have come back against him and bite him on the arse as he is not getting any easy free. Very sub-par game from him. 5.5/10

Tucker: Looks good in a winning team, looks shite when things aren't going our way, still don't know if he is a good player to have in our best 22 going forward. 5/10

Forward line: Hard to judge with those shithouse in 50s 5/10

Nyhuis-Wilson: Meh 5/10

S.Hill: Let's face it he is not going to improve this season. Hopefuly gets a full pre-season nex year. 4.5/10

Cerra: looks slow, can't stick a tackle with no 2nd effort, to think we could have got Naughton for that pick 5. No choice but to persist with him now. 4/10

Colyer: is a crab and a waste of cap space. Did one good thind tho, when he ran back to beat 3 hawks with his speed. 3/10

Hughes: goes hard at the footy but he is a awful footballer who shits himself under pressure, he is directly responsible for many turn overs witch usually end up in goals for the opposition. 2.69/10

Last edited:

The 3rd quarter up until Ethan Hughes kicks it into the man on the Mark is worth watching imo. just stop watching when you see him take a good grab just outside our forward 50

I said at the start of the season that the Dockers will finish Fifteenth im not far off.
The only game I can see us winning is the Stkilda and then we will be lucky.
How suprising that Clarkson can get a young list like Hawthorn into contention for the finals and Ross Lyon cannot get this team
any higher than 13th.
Ross goes on about injurys Carlton had one of there main players out and still they can beat us just shows that David Teague has his palyers playing as a team and for him, you can see the hunger in there eyes and body langauge.
The Members and fans are getting annoyed that the Fremantle board wont listen

I said at the start of the season that the Dockers will finish Fifteenth im not far off.
How suprising that Clarkson can get a young list like Hawthorn into contention for the finals and Ross Lyon cannot get this team
any higher than 13th.
Ross goes on about injurys Carlton had one of there main players out and still they can beat us just shows that David Teague has his palyers playing as a team and for him, you can see the hunger in there eyes and body langauge.

What were your reasons for thinking that we’d finish 15th preseason?

any higher than 13th.
Young Hawks?

One injury?

Remember when Fyfe rang Ross during the 2015 GF to tell him that he had a plan that he thought would be able to beat Hawthorn?

I wonder if Ross ever bothered to hear the plan or if he did, try any of it out?

What were your reasons for thinking that we’d finish 15th preseason?
The reason I thought we would finish 15th is because ross lyon does not know how to develop this group of players and his game plan is too defensive and he would not change his game style
When the six six six was first thought of, he would have to change his defensive style of play to a more attacking style which he has not done.
When we attack we have won games and when we went on the deffensive style we have lost,and he doesnt have the full backing of the palyers we have a top eight list

Remember when Fyfe rang Ross during the 2015 GF to tell him that he had a plan that he thought would be able to beat Hawthorn?

I wonder if Ross ever bothered to hear the plan or if he did, try any of it out?
I heard in the 2013 grand final Peter Sumich told them how to kick the goals an where to kick but Ross would not listen
When the eagles won in 2006 peter Sumich was beside Worsfold and Worsfold listened to him
The reason Peter Sumich left Fremantle was because of Ross Lyon

In terms of us playing in Launceston, in the last four years we have played there twice. Carlton, Saints, Port, Suns and North have also played there twice in the last four years. By the time this season is over, the Lions will have played there 3 times.

Its easy to see why: all of these teams, including us, are low drawing teams in Melbourne. Why would you have, say, Hawks v Cats in Tassie when playing that game in Melbourne gets you a much bigger crowd. Its the same for any of the big clubs like Essendon, Richmond, Sydney or WCE, etc. (Even though Carlton is a "big" club, they have been in such a funk for so long, their attendances have suffered.)

Sure you give up some attendance by playing _any_ Hawks game in Tassie but you limit your crowd losses by having the smaller clubs (like us) play there.

If we don't want to be an "off-Broadway" club then the answer is simple. Develop a following -- both here and in Melbourne -- that will show up to games. Make it so Hawks v Freo in Melbourne is a guaranteed 40k crowd because our Victorian supporters will show up no matter what.

Deliberately build a club so we are a nationally relevant all the time and you will find Freo fans in numbers wherever footy is played -- just like the Collingwoods, Essendons, WCEs, and Sydneys of the AFL.

How do you do that when you aren't an already established big club? You need to be _always_ relevant on-field. You need to make be making -- or very close to making -- finals every year for two decades solid. Just like Sydney have done.

You don't get good for a couple of years and then p!ss it all away so that only the rusted-on supporters remain during the "rebuild". Get good; stay good. That is how you stay relevant nationally, get lots of TV exposure, and build a following amongst interstate fans.

Thanks god our contractual obligation with Burswood means we can't host Port in Shanghai. Otherwise our boys would be on the plane to China in a heartbeat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back