Society & Culture Group interviews for a job.

I have an interview lined up for a prospective job next week, and was informed it was a group interview. I assume the reason behind it being a group interview as opposed to an individual interview is that judging by the SEEK advertisement they were looking to hire a number of employees for a number of their stores across Melbourne.

Just going to keep it plain and simple; seeing as though i've only experienced individual interviews in the past, what are the ins and outs of a group interview compared to an individual interview, and how does it differ?

Can already imagine there will be an overconfident knobjockey being present in the one i'm attending.

Poseidon

Kreuzer Sonata
10k Posts Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2013 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2011 Player Sponsor
Oct 31, 2010
Wild Wild West
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
Group interviews are an absolute breeze, they generally just wanna see how good your communication skills and ability to work in a group skills are. Just make sure you aren't quiet and contribute actively to discussion and you'll be fine.

Tex_21

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2008
Die Kaffeeklatsch
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Landsborough
Yep, there is usually that one pushy knobhead.

I've done a few, and the assessors know to ignore the above *heads. Your best bet is to be assertive, but allow others to speak as well, while still making sure you get your points across. If you're given a situation, make sure you read the brief well, and understand it properly so you can contribute to it properly. Like all interviews, relaxing is key.

THRILLHO

Most Cromulent Poster
Apr 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In my experience, group interviews are only for entry level positions that don't require specific skillsets so just by showing up in a well presented manner will get you near the front of the pack. Contributing evenly and engaging with all members of your group, and allowing them time to contribute as well, will get you the rest of the way.

In all honesty, for jobs such as the type I described (it may be different in your case) they're just looking to see if you're a normal, level-headed person who can interact with a customer and your colleagues. They're not looking for the one show-off to highlight every single thing they've ever learn or experienced in their life.

Group interviews are easily the best, followed by panel interviews. One on one are the worst as the odds of hitting mutual interests is lowered and quite often just descend into question-and-answer making it harder to stand out.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Pro tip: If you notice somebody in the group trying to say something but being shut out by the aforementioned "dominating knobhead", make a point of interrupting and saying, "Hang on I think xxx has an interesting thing to say" or something along those lines. It's a subtler way to show some assertivness, shows you actually care to listen to what other people have to say, and is somewhat disarming as well.

I've seen these where people are too shy to contribute at all - not good. But also you don't want to be the pain in the arse knob either - no one wants to work with those sorts of people.

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
24430140.jpg

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
and by the way Will Smith got the job in MIB from being a bad ass semi awkward gangsta cop so stuff the stiffs just own the interview theyre looking for people that will stand out not team workers

azreal

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
kingston
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
umpires
You need to dominate your group, make sure you speak the longest and the loudest. Practice your dominant body language. Try to ensure that the quieter members of the group are shut down and given very little time to shine, remember, in these situations, it's not about what you say, it's more about how much you say. Be loud.

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This. What sort of meat market process is this? doesn't sound very personable.

Heaps of graduate positions start of with group interviews.

This is mainly just to see who they want for a final interview considering the amount of applicants they get.

Find the line between anonymous and overbearing. Involve others and don't be scared to disagree with the group or suggest alternate ways of doing things.
There'll probably be a person who freezes up and doesn't say anything, make sure you stop the group and allow them to put their views forward. Subtle negging or undermining other contenders is good here.

Also, they'll probably have you arrive at 8:45am or something and wait together in a room until you're all called in at 9:15am or whatever. In this time make sure you introduce yourself to other people (they will probably be watching this). If you suck at initiating conversation with others arrive early!!!!

Back