Growing cricket big-bash crowds good for football

Remove this Banner Ad

i personally really like it...and im looking forward to the new comp a great deal

i think it should stick to the basics though... the less clubs the better. just take the 6 existing big bash clubs and run with that for the time being i reckon. i can see a natural cycle evolve of sheffield shield cricket being played during the week and 20/20 being played on the weekend.

the most important thing in the early stages it to get it on FTA TV

What I'd like to see is the cricket summer broken up into three segments - Test/Sheffield Shield (late October-December), Twenty20 (January), One-Dayers (February-early March).

The T20 season would be dedicated to the domestic competition (with T20 internationals played between the domestic T20 and ODI seasons), allowing players playing for Australia the chance to represent their state. I'd keep it as the state sides, but expand it to a full home and away season (10 games each - 5 home, 5 away). I'd also keep the 2 import rule so that it doesn't get overrun with imports like the IPL.

I'd play 2 games per day - 1 on Channel 9, 1 on Fox.

I'd keep the top 3 system (top straight through to host final, 2 hosts 3 in PF), with both finals to be on Channel 9.

Looks like Sydneys record didnt last long.

One thing though. I think this new 20/20 league will follow the A-League. Something new so massive crowds will turn out to see what its like - eg. A-League 50,000 in Melbourne, 35,000 in Brisbane and 20,000 @ Central Coast - compared to this season.
Give the 20/20 new comp a few years and then start to compare. Novelty wares off and then you see your core fans appear.

One thing though. I think this new 20/20 league will follow the A-League. Something new so massive crowds will turn out to see what its like - eg. A-League 50,000 in Melbourne, 35,000 in Brisbane and 20,000 @ Central Coast - compared to this season.
Give the 20/20 new comp a few years and then start to compare. Novelty wares off and then you see your core fans appear.

ODI's wore off pretty quickly didn't they? :rolleyes:

Cricket has always been a popular sport in Australia so it is quite silly to compare it to the A league.

They can talk about it all they like but it aint ever gonna happen.

Why's that, given Cricket Australia are talking about privately owned teams as well?

I'd imagine Geelong would be a fairly attractive proposition if they decide to bring in regional sides given they've got (or at least will have) the best stadium in the country outside the capital cities.

I don't know one person that paid for a ticket to the NSW games, went with a group of 20. There were boxes of tickets handed out by CricketNSW so I wouldn't take much from NSW games.

From a player perspective it might not be good news.

Juniors that have been good at both have generally chosen football because of the $$$ and opportunity.

If 20/20 takes off and the money in domestic cricket increases then the next Green, Bartel, Deledio etc could go down the cricket route instead.

Mitch Marsh chose cricket, there's family ties there but I'm sure seeing the money Shaun was making in the IPL helped sway the decision.

the big bash has been around almost as long as the a-league and the crowds have grown, not fallen.

Money, money etc must be funny in a 20 /twenty hindsight world.

Get it onto FTA tv and maybe cricket as a whole could become a bit more popular. But noooo the AFL would absolutely hate that. Lol at the numbnuts who are so definitive in their merry go rounds of occupations. One gets a job in afl, to go the the soccer, to go the cricket for a couple a years and then sink their teeth into a bit of sommat else.

I have forgotten what the point of this thread is. I' just love giving the boots to all and sundry. It's fodder for the mejia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back