Roast Grumpy Old Thread- 10k posts of whinging

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I just want some fu**en rain.

I've you've got any spare please mail it to northern NSW.
trust me i would if i could ferbs. was out western NSW/QLD in august and it was pretty dire out there then as well. But here, this is bordering on ridiculous, cant spray the water pepper weed in the waterway and have had to cancel 2 deliveries of rock for the culvert at the bottom of the property on account that the trucks would get bogged. to make matters worse its almost as if the weatherman had looked up my shift roster and scheduled al the rain in the last 6 weeks for my days off! we came of one of the driest summers on record then had the wettest august for 10 years. nothing like a bit of consistency.

Last edited:
trust me i would if i could ferbs. was out western NSW/QLD in august and it was pretty dire out there then as well. But here, this is bordering on ridiculous, cant spray the water pepper weed in the waterway and have had to cancel 2 deliveries of rock for the culvert at the bottom of the property on account that the trucks would get bogged. to make matters worse its almost as if the weatherman had looked up my shift roster and scheduled al the rain in the last 6 weeks for my days off! we came of one of the driest summers on record then had the wettest august for 10 years. nothing like a bit of consistency.

The drought is worse out there, but there are less people living in the bush who will burn in 6 or 8 weeks without it as well.

Its been bad for the last 2 years ... when we drove to Melb and back in late Jan/early Feb we went thru Central Western NSW. I've never seen it that dry and I'd never seen so much feed on the road. Nearly every second vehicle was a truck loaded with cattle feed or a ute with a big bale or two on the back.

Could we, logistically, build a big pipe network that allows us to share water around the continent?

Probably ridiculous, but so is what those farmers are suffering while the rest of us are swimming to work.

Could we, logistically, build a big pipe network that allows us to share water around the continent?

Probably ridiculous, but so is what those farmers are suffering while the rest of us are swimming to work.
You may recall I mentioned this a few years ago as 2 or 3 billionaires asked government about them funding a huge pipeline to safeguard Australia against drought.
Gummint of the day laughed them out of the room and here we sit today.

You may recall I mentioned this a few years ago as 2 or 3 billionaires asked government about them funding a huge pipeline to safeguard Australia against drought.
Sadly the numbers just don't rack up, Google the Bradford water scheme. and this was to divert water to Gulf country and lake Ayre catchments. To divert it to the darling catchment was an order of magnitude bigger again. Might be easier to take Mohammad to the mountain than the mountain to Mohammad. plenty of water over the west in lake argyle, just no infrastructure to exploit it.

Last edited:

You guys are at the bottom of the map. How would you get the water to flow up to Queensland?

The Bradfield Scheme? Most recently touted by Barnaby Joyce and Pauline Hanson, which is a big reason it gets knocked on the head.

Like the proposal to bring water from the Kimberley to south west WA, the main objection is cost. It's a decent enough idea, but if its cheaper to desalinate, use less water, tell the farmers that if you are in areas that are getting less rainfall, perhaps farming in that area isn't viable any more, then we're not building those pipelines.

Sadly the numbers just don't rack up, Google the Bradford water scheme. and this was to divert water to Gulf country and lake Ayre catchments. To divert it to the darling catchment was an order of magnitude bigger again. Might be easier to take Mohammad to the mountain than the mountain to Mohammad. plenty of water over the west in lake argyle, just no infrastructure to exploit it.

Yes.

Bradford had NFI. Apparantly he just made s**t up off the top of his head or guessed.

There is a project in Libya called the Great Man Made River. It was organised and implemented by Gaddafi.

It pumps from aquifers and supplies Libya with water. That sort of vision might work. It started in 1984 and cost 25 billion dollars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bradfield Scheme? Most recently touted by Barnaby Joyce and Pauline Hanson, which is a big reason it gets knocked on the head.

Like the proposal to bring water from the Kimberley to south west WA, the main objection is cost. It's a decent enough idea, but if its cheaper to desalinate, use less water, tell the farmers that if you are in areas that are getting less rainfall, perhaps farming in that area isn't viable any more, then we're not building those pipelines.
I'm unsure on the name or if there was a scheme as such, but from memory it went down in the 80s, although I'd have to ask my father for the exact date!

Yes.

Bradford had NFI. Apparantly he just made s**t up off the top of his head or guessed.

There is a project in Libya called the Great Man Made River. It was organised and implemented by Gaddafi.

It pumps from aquifers and supplies Libya with water. That sort of vision might work. It started in 1984 and cost 25 billion dollars.

pumping from aquifers is a short term game and needs to be managed. already the GAB is declining, and it takes a phenomenal time for the water the move through the aquifer. were talking thousands of years. the one in libya on the other hand isnt even being replenished.

Recycling and Conservation are the proven horses. in 2006 Toowoomba knocked back a water recycling plant. that would be pretty handy today if it were built.

meanwhile tenterfiled are pulling the same trigger.

pasting for those blocked by the paywall,

NSW Drought: Tenterfield to recycle sewage for drinking water
Jack Morphet, The Sunday Telegraph
October 13, 2019 12:00am

Subscriber only
A town in the state’s north ravaged by severe drought and bushfire will be the first in NSW to use “toilet to tap” technology that adds treated sewage to drinking water.
Tenterfield locals will have a hard time swallowing drinking water that’s been flushed down the toilet or kitchen sink, but the town has run out of options.
In about 74 days Tenterfield will reach day zero, when the taps won’t run because there won’t be any more clean water.

Last edited:
What is the deal with our reasonably new, quite expensive (iirc) Desalination plant in Gippsland ? is it producing water for sale, or donation, or just lying idle and not paying it's way, genuinely interested, as recent footage I have seen of our drought affected Northern neighbours was very distressing to say the least.

What is the deal with our reasonably new, quite expensive (iirc) Desalination plant in Gippsland ? is it producing water for sale, or donation, or just lying idle and not paying it's way, genuinely interested, as recent footage I have seen of our drought affected Northern neighbours was very distressing to say the least.

The State government has commissioned an order. Not sure when, or how much is to be delivered.

Tenterfield is about 100 - 125km west of me and a bit south too. About 180 - 200 on the roads.

Its really dry around there, and traditionally, when its been dry everywhere else (except here) there's always at least a little green flush thru the New England. Even last summer it was okay compared to the rest of NSW. No rain since tho.

We were fighting fires near Drake (a town not far east of Tenterfield - we were about 40km east atcf) not that long ago. Water points were scarce. Creeks were dry - in some places it was so dry nothing (literally bare earth) had grown since a fire in February (normally the height of the wet season.) Half of our water was being brought in by tankers from the Clarence river. The fire ended up jumping the Clarence about a month ago, on the day Rappville got smashed. If you draw a line from Tenterfield due east the coast is about 150km away. There's a section between 90 and 100km long that is burnt out. Probably another 30 km if you consider the terrain which is very hilly and mountainous.

There have been ideas around for 50 or more years to divert the northern rivers south to sure up water and irrigation supplies. The greens would be absolutely apoplectic if any major water diversion project was undertaken.

heres another bona fide grumpy post,

at melbourne airport last night picking up some friends who flew in, dropped missus up to collect them and waited in the ride and wait zone for the call when they had cleared customs, took 27 minutes to drive from the wait zone to the 1min pickup point.... sat in center road for about 12 light cycles between t4 and arrivals drive to move about 200 meters.

heres another bona fide grumpy post,

at melbourne airport last night picking up some friends who flew in, dropped missus up to collect them and waited in the ride and wait zone for the call when they had cleared customs, took 27 minutes to drive from the wait zone to the 1min pickup point.... sat in center road for about 12 light cycles between t4 and arrivals drive to move about 200 meters.
Most pathetic excuse for an Airport in the world.
Make it a second Airport and upgrade Avalon to World Class with high speed rail and get the economy going

F**k.

Weather in this country madness.

We mentioned Tenterfield upthread.

Right now there are 15 emergency warnings active between Tenterfield and Forster north of Newcastle.

Today has been full on in Northern NSW.

Nothing serious around here yet and a bit of relief on the weather front. Only 27 - 30 tomorrow not 35 - 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back