Roast Grumpy Old Thread II - the grumpiness continues

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I do not understand one word of this post.

What language are you speaking?

French, German or Nerd?
To be fair, it's about as coherant as most of the junk I post.

It's in a West Germanic dialect of the Indo-European language family, originally spoken by the inhabitants of early medieval England if you don't mind umpire!

I do not understand one word of this post.

What language are you speaking?

French, German or Nerd?
I understood Whirlpool, but I don't reckon he's talking about a washing machine :)

To be fair, it's about as coherant as most of the junk I post.

It's in a West Germanic dialect of the Indo-European language family, originally spoken by the inhabitants of early medieval England if you don't mind umpire!
Ahhh, another person familiar with language families. How's your Old Norse?

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Which bank?
went to bunnings last night and there was a pile of stuff on the counter, heard the cashier telling another worker that someones card didnt work, they didnt know if they would be back.

i have always kept cards on different networks, one on the visa/plus network and one on the mastercard/cirrus network, learned a lesson traveling overseas a while ago.

went to bunnings last night and there was a pile of stuff on the counter, heard the cashier telling another worker that someones card didnt work, they didnt know if they would be back.

i have always kept cards on different networks, one on the visa/plus network and one on the mastercard/cirrus network, learned a lesson traveling overseas a while ago.
They should bring back the old imprint swipy thing for when a bank line goes down, with a maximum transaction. If it overdrew your account back in the day it was between you and the bank, at least the shop could process the sale.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The ******* campaigner government, the LNP can * right off with their Khaki election s**t. * right off campaigners. You lot can * off with your IR industrial changes too, you can * off wanting to slap workers when productivity levels are positive, you can * off with ya rorts and using tax payer funds as your own piggy bank, you lot can * off telling women they are lucky they are not being shot protesting a rape that occurred in your own ******* office. * you LNP for not imposing an independent anti corruption commision. * off for treating our older generation the way you have, * you campaigners! You leave them to rot in their beds, swimming in their excrement, you ******* piss weak campaigners. * off

If any ******* crumb on here votes the LNP they are ******* s**t on my shoe. GET ****ed!

They are ******* crooks.

One more thing. He can * off wanting teenagers operating forklifts, as an act of child slave labour by operating heavy machinery. * off Morrison and your ******* masters at the Nats. 🖕🏻

Last edited:

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The ******* campaigner government, the LNP can fu** right off with their Khaki election s**t. fu** right off campaigners. You lot can fu** off with your IR industrial changes too, you can fu** off wanting to slap workers when productivity levels are positive, you can fu** off with ya rorts and using tax payer funds as your own piggy bank, you lot can fu** off telling women they are lucky they are not being shot protesting a rape that occurred in your own ******* office. fu** you LNP for not imposing an independent anti corruption commision. fu** off

If any ******* crumb on here votes the LNP they are ******* s**t on my shoe. GET f’ed!

They are ******* crooks.

Now here a man who wears his heart on his sleeve. I need to sit next to you at an * game 👍

Soooo, having to endure a second week of iso, set about having my groceries delivered. They have a box at the end of your order that you can put specific delivery instructions - eg. "by the front door". Well, I went to put "by the front door will be fine, please and thank you :) " with a smiley face, except, the symbols to make a smiley face are not allowed to be used. I could have also done a fish -<'(((((=< but no doubt that would be frowned upon as well 🙃

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's been a week since anybody was grumpy.

My turn (again).

After the graphics card saga from a couple of weeks ago you'd think my run of computer bad luck was over, but obviously I infuriated some god of IT in a past life and I'm copping it big time.

Tonight the GPU in my son's PC blew up. This time with smoke and a flash of light. So now it's a grand to buy a new one.

Two gaming cards in one month - both confirmed dead as posts. They were installed in different PCs with no common element - just coincidence of timing.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I was happily using my desktop pc today and when attempting to do a snip and save, my monitor blanked. It may just be coincidence that it occurred when I hit WIN+Shift+S but I've mentioned that as it is exactly what I was doing when my incident occurred.

The PC is a 10th gen i5 without integrated graphics on an ASUS B460M-A Mobo and there is 16GB of Corsair RAM (2x8). The CPU is a TT 650. The GPU is an ASUS 970 which has been in place for about a year in this PC (previously it had a 2080 but that is now in a different PC). If working correctly, the PSU has enough grunt.

When I rebooted the PC there was no display at all – the AOC 27" monitor goes immediately to power saving mode.

To diagnose, I plugged in a different monitor – an LG 27". That responded identically.

I then removed the GPU and reseated it. This time on booting the monitor showed the ASUS Mobo logo and the F2 / Del for bios but went to power saving mode before I could react.

I found that if I removed the PCIE power cable from the GPU I could get to the same point and one time I was quick enough to hit F2 enabling the bios screen to be displayed. But within a second or so the screen went to power saving again.

I located an old GPU from my parts box and stuck it into the PC. This yielded an identical result. As the old card had a VGA port as well as HDMI I tried that as well with the LG monitor – still the same result.

I've removed all memory and replaced it, re-plugged all cables, tried three different keyboards (wired and wireless) and mice.

In one more instance I got to a bios screen and was able to capture this with a video. All indicators looked OK. For comparison, my son's 10th gen i7 has the same voltage readout and there didn't seem to be any other unusual indicators – all fans are working, temps are low nothing was hot to touch etc.

If anything, I suspect the PSU – annoyingly, I gave away a spare to an ex-workmate a few months back as he was in need and I had one in my parts box. I intend to pull out the PSU from the PC I'm working on now – an older i7 but even though I can't recall as it was built a long time back, it had enough grunt to drive an AMD GPU – I'm thinking it's a 750w modular (I'll find out when I pull this one down to get to it).

The only other observation I can make is that the non-working PC seems to be operating apart from there being no video output (two different GPUs, two different monitors, two HDMI cables and one VGA cable). All fans are running, the HDD LED flickers a bit, the LAN port LEDs flicker a bit etc. and there were no beep codes.

Now I've gone to Whirlpool for some help in case somebody has a brain-wave.

At this stage, it's got me beaten – so I'm looking for any advice before I pul another PC apart to scavange its PSU.....
My advice is to throw it up the Tip

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My advice is to throw it up the Tip
second this, age of mobo could suggest bad caps. EDIT, pretty new, likely not caps, annoying when gremlins in system. whats a new PSU cost these days, i have a atx case with an antec 350w PS in it that has done hardly any work but pretty much replaced that system with an old intel nuc with OB intel400 graphics. it doesnt like H265 but other than that chugs along ok for the most part.

Last edited:

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
second this, age of mobo could suggest bad caps. EDIT, pretty new, likely not caps, annoying when gremlins in system. whats a new PSU cost these days, i have a atx case with an antec 350w PS in it that has done hardly any work but pretty much replaced that system with an old intel nuc with OB intel400 graphics. it doesnt like H265 but other than that chugs along ok for the most part.
All good now.

Son bought a 3070 card so his gaming frame rates will be better.

I have identified a blown surface mount fuse on the dead 2080 GPU. I can't tell what caused that or if anything else is damaged but I'll pull out the soldering iron when I can get my hands on a 10A surface mount fuse to replace the blown one.

Meantime, all computers are going. Just a grand down the drain.

One for the Grumpy Olds as the google machine isn't helping me.

I've had about 10 calls today from people thinking I'm a backpackers. First call I thought it was a mate winding me up as I was being asked if I had "room for one male for the night". Then the calls from numerous Kiwis asking for a room kept coming in and I asked where they got my number.

I dial the landline number to the Backpackers - and yep, diverts right to my phone. So I can't contact them! Any clues on how I can get around this? They're in NSW so dropping in isn't an option. And life is too short to talk to a Telstra call Centre.

To think I've got to the age where I'm frustrated when young women backpacking are calling my phone.

Back